Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see where the rules RA will be using calls for a 3a-2/5 suit or
3a-2/1 with underwear. It never mentions requirements for gloves or shoes. It does not even say you need anything special which I find hard to believe. The standing question is what level do they need to be I have seen both 5 and 1 offered. Yes I know the safety difference but what if anything do the rules call for??

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>I see where the rules RA will be using calls for a 3a-2/5
>suit or
>3a-2/1 with underwear. It never mentions requirements for
>gloves or shoes. It does not even say you need anything
>special which I find hard to believe. The standing question
>is what level do they need to be I have seen both 5 and 1
>offered. Yes I know the safety difference but what if
>anything do the rules call for??

The 2005 rules make no requirement for gloves or shoes. BTW, neither does CARS nor NASA.

As Christian noted, most co-drivers do not use gloves. Even some drivers do not use gloves.

Similarly, many competitors do not wear driving shoes. I wear hiking boots after I fell on my butt several times while wearing driving shoes while trying to extract a rally car that I was in after it got stuffed into a snowbank.

alan

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>I like going barefoot - but the grippy pedals give me
>blisters
>
>-Tim
>Wazoo Racing

I'd be concerned about burning my feet on the floor from the excess heat from the exhaust. I had the soles of my hiking boots start to melt in one car and my fleece melt and weld into the floor in another.

alan

·
Registered
244 Posts
>>I like going barefoot - but the grippy pedals give me
>>blisters
>>
>>-Tim
>>Wazoo Racing
>
>I'd be concerned about burning my feet on the floor from the
>excess heat from the exhaust. I had the soles of my hiking
>boots start to melt in one car and my fleece melt and weld
>into the floor in another.
>
>alan
>

yeah just wait till you tear your exhaust off just behind the header....the floor gets real hot real fast.....take it from me, i am very familiar with this problem.

Seth S

·
Registered
46 Posts
>>>I like going barefoot - but the grippy pedals give me
>>>blisters
>>>
>>>-Tim
>>>Wazoo Racing
>>
>>I'd be concerned about burning my feet on the floor from the
>>excess heat from the exhaust. I had the soles of my hiking
>>boots start to melt in one car and my fleece melt and weld
>>into the floor in another.
>>
>>alan
>>
>
>yeah just wait till you tear your exhaust off just behind the
>header....the floor gets real hot real fast.....take it from
>me, i am very familiar with this problem.
>
>Seth S
>

Geeez guys, he was only joking...

And Tim definetly knows about hot firewalls...

Austin
(crew who gets to tote around Tim's bag full of driving gear (gloves and shoes included)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was thinking I could have used a pair of mudders at Ramada on day two this year.
Abel
-----
Disclaimer: No actual monkeys were harmed, endured motion sickness, wind burned, sandblasted or had their arms stretched by g-loading and excessive speed in the pursuit of rally trophies.

·
"Go fast then bah bah bah"
222 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out Austin

I was going to say that I like to race barefoot in a jock strap and a light coat of oil but I thought that was a little over the top. Maybe not!

-Tim
Wazoo Racing

·
Registered
803 Posts
we really really should require boots

I know it especially sucks for the snow events, but I have had 2 seperate co-drivers whose feet have caught fire (yes), with me (!), so think about it next time

my favorite quote at the time was "man I think the cars on fire" and he said "dont worry its not your car... and its my boots anyways"

(Cyprus 2003)

-pat

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
>>> we really really should require boots >>>

I agree. Furthermore, I think spot checks should be done at events to make sure that the requirement are met.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Why is a pair of racing boots any better for our purposes than a good pair of steel-shanked, leather hiking boots (at least on a co-driver)?

Why is proper footwear important enough to merit spot checks over a dozen other things that could be spot checked, but aren't?

alan

·
Registered
803 Posts
i duno about spot checks

maybe weigh the cars, check for pacenotes, check for illegal service before checking the boots...

but about the leather ? cuz it shrinks ? a sheepskin driving suit would be pretty cool... a bit montana, but cool

·
Registered
119 Posts
About the leather shrinking, in the Army we were leather boots along with nomex suits and gloves in armored combat vehicles and aircraft. The Air Force wears leather boots with their nomex flight suits and gloves.

Abel
-----
Disclaimer: No actual monkeys were harmed, endured motion sickness, wind burned, sandblasted or had their arms stretched by g-loading and excessive speed in the pursuit of rally trophies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts