Special Stage Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
New question, now that i've been talked out of building my own car, what do you do about insurance? I'm still stuck on the same point regardless of build or buy. I live in Kansas now and for licensing they require proof of insurance before they'll license your vehicle. I also made the mistake of asking my insurance agent about it and he gave me the "did you seriously just ask that question?" look then told me that no one insures race cars and that if they do the company doesn't know that it's being used for racing.

On a side note is there anyone who even rallies in Kansas? I'm originally from Minnesota via Houghton, MI (shout out to my peeps at LSPR) I'm also looking for a car and Wichita being the hub I'm willing to go as far as 4-5 hrs of driving for a good deal from some one who knows what they're doing. Or in the Minneapolis area at which point i can send my brother to go take a look at somehting.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help, I'd hate to resort to having to build a car after I just turned down a reasonably priced Fiero (everyone that has them are trying to rip you off)

Paul

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Well Paul, welcome to "god foresaken Kansas"! Only one in our neiborhood I know is Mad Mike down in tulsa. He doesn't know it yet but he's going to do my car (please).

I've got a logbooked car needing updated just waiting. I try to work 2-3 rallies a year in the mean time. suggestion on insurance is something online/esurance/progressive/geico.
start with you daily driver, build a relationship and just add "some old car I picked up cheep."

event insurance cover everything, not your "road coverage" but insurance agent still want none of it.

So why Wichita?

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
When my insurance agent asked me what I used my VW for I told him it was a race car and it was required to do transits on public roads and if I wanted to do track days/autox with it I needed insurance for it.

I actually got a deal because I insured both my street and rally car.

And I don't know if anyone said this. But the truth is more so to buy a used car than to build a new one. However, I'd suggest staying away from cars that haven't ran in a while that would require considerable upgrades to meet new tech/gear. Also don't buy an older production class vehicle either. Because you're limited to mods in production you're basically buying a stock car with a cage/seats/etc so while you shouldn't pay much... if you want to change anything you're going to be spending a lot.

I kinda made the mistake of buying both an old car that last ran with 2001 specs and it was a P class car. I really didn't know what I was getting into thinking that I would just add some stuff here and there and bring it back up to spec. But in the end I'm spending way more than I originally planned out.

So in the end, buy a car that you could take to an event tomorrow and pass tech and race. That way when you buy the car all you gotta do is probably bleed the brakes and adjust the seat to your position.
________
Essential vaaapp vaporizer

·
Passed tech... Now what?
26 Posts
Just completed our first rally in our first car. It took us three weeks to build it and it was done relatively cheaply. My only regret was not starting with a car that ran to begin with.

·
Registered
874 Posts
That's good to hear. The thing that I benefited most from buying a car that was already built and had a rally history was going through tech. The second most important thing was the details. What details I could ignore (or simply deal with) and which ones I had to take seriously. The skid plate was pretty much a "duh" but things like having deflectors for the parking brake cable. One of them came of and the gravel ate through all of the rubber on the bottom. This is a part that's at about the same level as the bottom of the car. Or wiring the car properly incase it goes for a drink. These are all things that are better to find out from seeing someone else do it than finding out on stage.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I found it interesting and inspiring that Tony the pizza guy from Wellsboro entered and finished STPR with what look to be a super stock open light impreza. Granted he wasn't that fast, but he entered and finished so kudos to him!

pic from Rally Relic's gallery.

·
L4 into trees
701 Posts
I kinda made the mistake of buying both an old car that last ran with 2001 specs and it was a P class car. I really didn't know what I was getting into thinking that I would just add some stuff here and there and bring it back up to spec. But in the end I'm spending way more than I originally planned out.

So in the end, buy a car that you could take to an event tomorrow and pass tech and race. That way when you buy the car all you gotta do is probably bleed the brakes and adjust the seat to your position.
Been there, done that. Bought a car partially prepped....woops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hijacking: Are there "arrive and drive" events? Where I could rent a prepped car for an event?
I'm assuming insurance is like for track days (Race track, Laguna Seca, etc.) - You break it, you own it. Although if there is insurance I'd feel better.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you post your interest in renting I'm sure you'll find something. But look for something cheap-n-easy - 2WD probably, especially if you're planning on running any RA events. But a slow 2WD is the best place to start. You'll not be able to drive as fast as the car can go anyway on your first few outings.

And "insurance" is more like: You break it, you own the broken bits until you've paid to get it all fixed. :)

Simon
Rallye Driver
USUK Racing

61 - 71 of 71 Posts