Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am new to the sport in the process of building my first rally vehicle. I would love suggestions if anyone sees something I am missing as I go. You can follow along and see what I have done up to this point on my website. http://angryiron.com then just click on the Rally ranger Logo.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback.
Shawn

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Good luck with your build, shawn! Everyone will tell you to read, reread and reread again the rulebooks... you said G2 so i'm guessing you are going for a RA logbook. Careful with the 3.0 as G2, i think, has a 3080cc max displacement. Much of an overbore could get you in trouble, if anyone bothered to hassle you about it.

Thanks for building American!

·
Registered
874 Posts
3.0 liter is the last Ford pushrod motor so I have a .8 multiplier:)
The rules don't explicitly state that you get the .8 multiplier in G2 but they do apply the 1.8 adjuster to rotory motors. It may be worth talking to the rules people about since to me it seems like a bit of a grey area. This is especially true since the .8 adjuster is applied to Open, G5, and Open Light. It would make more sense to have it applied to all of Open Category.

·
Cheddarwagen Pilot
1,805 Posts
The rules don't explicitly state that you get the .8 multiplier in G2 but they do apply the 1.8 adjuster to rotory motors. It may be worth talking to the rules people about since to me it seems like a bit of a grey area. This is especially true since the .8 adjuster is applied to Open, G5, and Open Light. It would make more sense to have it applied to all of Open Category.
They did away with the multipliers for piston engines in G2 when they increased the displacement to 3L and went to the Group F weight scale.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boy I need to get a hold of all of this I thought I had read the rule book. I could have used a 3 liter with overhead cams? :cool: Oh well my course is set. Back to reading.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Boy I need to get a hold of all of this I thought I had read the rule book. I could have used a 3 liter with overhead cams? :cool: Oh well my course is set. Back to reading.
You could have used a SHO motor. That would be awesome, I've heard very good things about that motor despite how many jerks I've known to own Taurus SHOs. Just me thinking outloud but one of the things that I had read about it was that the only reason for the 7200 rpm rev limiter was because the accessory package couldn't handle the high rpms.

·
Registered
248 Posts
"Oh well my course is set." Your course is headed off a cliff if your cage isn't legal! The best thing to do right now is STOP! Contact your local scrutineer and have him or her look at your truck. You want to build it right the first time. It would suck to have to change something once it's all put together right? you don't want any surprises during you log book inspection.

Good luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
this brings up a question I have had about trucks. I have seen roll cages that have the main hoop on the outside of the cab in a single cab configuration. I was thinking it would give more head room, any thoughts on how this would do in a tech inspection.

Bob

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I am now in contact with my regional scrutineer and there is work to be done. Thanks to this forum.

I would have used the SHO Motor even had one availiable are you serious the overhead cam 4 valves per cylinder multiplier is out?
:eek:

edited for spelling

·
aircooled
1,371 Posts
Maximum displacement no greater than 3080cc. Vehicles must
meet the following minimum weight (as defined in Article 10.1.H)
dependant and number of valves per cylinder:

Maximum displacement / Minimum Weight
(>2 Valves/Cylinder)

2570cc / (2381 lbs)
3080cc / (2535 lbs)

·
150 K Right 4 Into Truck Dust
1,042 Posts
Socal Bob, an outside cage would look really silly and have no strength, the cage on a truck needs to be tied into the cab.

anything else would be a "JIGGLE CAGE":confused:

Bill Holmes
Truck #44

·
Registered
874 Posts
Yes I am now in contact with my regional scrutineer and there is work to be done. Thanks to this forum.

I would have used the SHO Motor even had one availiable are you serious the overhead cam 4 valves per cylinder multiplier is out?
:eek:

edited for spelling
What section of what year rule book are you looking at? As far as I know the only mulitplier that gets used is the 1.8 for a rotory motor. As far as 4 valves/cylinder there is a higher minimum weight; if you were to run a 3.0L SHO motor, you wouldn't have any issue. The displacement is 2986cc and the 24 valve thing only affects your minimum weight.

I just want to double check but this is for Rally America right?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You need to get in contact with your local scrutineer!

Are your gussets legal?

Robert.
Gusset I saw in the front windshield area is probably legal for NASA.

From their rules;

3. One or 2 triangular plate steel gussets with combined
thickness equal to the tubing which is being gusseted.
Minimum length along the unwelded side of the triangular
gusset is 3 times the tubing diameter

1 - 18 of 18 Posts