Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was once told by a wise man(?) that I should take the sway bar right off the front of the car. Is this true. What perpose does this serve. Are there other options? Would stiffer springs make up any differance lost? Please share your wisdom about this topic.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is said that removing the front bar will give you better turn in. It is also said that you could need a stiffer spring to compensate for the loss of the swaybar. Try it and see.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We disconnected it halfway through Sand Blast (very loose surface) cranked up the front struts a few notches, and the front end definitely felt better. More like each tire was reaching out for the road on it's own.

However, for STPR it goes back on. On those roads, I'd rather feel confident at 80 than get better turn-in at 40.

·
Registered
187 Posts
For a front wheel drive car, handling is vastly improved without the front bar. I have driven our vw ITB car at triple digit speeds with no loss of stability. I have also gotten to the top of fourth (+-115mph) in my VW G2 car on a very soft sandy loam surface with no loss of stability. I think you will be much happier without the bar.

My 2 cents.
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts