Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Citroen has announced that Carlos Sainz will be the team's second driver for the 2004 FIA World Rally Championship season.

The Spaniard has inked a one-year deal with the French team, joining rising superstar Sebastien Loeb, who signed a two-year extension to his contract with the team in July.

Sainz, 41, is currently joint second in the driver standings, scoring the Citroen Xsara's first ever win on gravel in the inaugural Rally of Turkey earlier this year.

With Sainz taking the second seat at Citroen, there are now no top-line drives available to team-mate Colin McRae for next year. His only manufacturer choices would be with one of the smaller WRC teams, such as Skoda, Hyundai or Mitsubishi. He could also finance a drive himself with the likes of Peugeot or Subaru, but he would be not eligible to score manufacturer points.

"This has been one the toughest decisions I have had to take during my career as Team Director," said Citroen boss Guy Frequelin. "The qualities of neither Colin nor Carlos have never been in doubt. Both are top-notch drivers with impressive track records. In an ideal world, we would have kept both of them as team-mates for Seb. But we had to choose. I would like to stress Colin's tremendous motivation and everything he has achieved for us. Throughout the season, both these factors have contributed to Citroen's results so far."

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Colin manages last minute deal with Citroën! I saw it on the Internet!

So it has to be true!
[http://jvab.ffwd.us/CitroenWRC04.jpg]

The rumors have it that this was done in recognitipon of the level of technical support and feedback Colin has contributed to the team.
There are also rumors that he may do selected US events with this 04 car, and we had better watch out!

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts