Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what happened with Alfredo de Dominicis on Friday night during service. I didn’t see any of it but according to my service crew, he was flying through town…locked up his brakes to turn into the service area…drove extremely fast through the pits and then moments later a police car came flying through with his lights on…apparently chasing him!

So what happened? How come no penalties for wreckless driving through a service area? I assume he didn’t get a ticket because he wasn’t DNF’d? Why were the police chasing him in the first place?

Just curious....

Andrew Sutherland
UniversalRally.com

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
Andrew,
Oh boy... urban legends!

Yes, a patrol car pulled into service to talk to Dedo, there was no police chase.

I talked to the officer immediately after he talked to Dedo. There were no citations or violations.

J.B. Niday

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JB...it's not too late to get into politics...you were born for it!

Andrew Sutherland
UniversalRally.com

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Friday at Doo **** and Saturday morn.....

Oi the plop sickens!
At least we know why Blake Yoon didn't get anything worse than Karmic Justice for his car being left parked wrong way and sticking out in the Motel parking lot creating huge problems on Friday night.
Said one co-driver "If I had been driving the service rig and gotten tangled in that cluster-puck I would driven like I was in Boston and nudged that blue Subie right out into the street".

Justice was served when his service crew chose to blow an obvious red light Saturaday morning and according to my service driver (who was thru the very stale Yeellow light and saw the Police car pull out) got nailed.
Then they DNFed.

I thought that was enough so I didn't see any point in making an Inquiry.
But somebody should remind Mr. Yoon (or whoever parked his car so stupidly) about how to park and that the offenses of service crews are usually laid at the doorstep of the driver.

The can and really should be stiff penalties.

·
Registered
803 Posts
RE: Friday at Doo **** and Saturday morn.....

Andrew, your service crew should get slapped for either telling tall tales or seeing tall trees. There was no 'chase' and no 'speeding in service' and no 'locking up of brakes'...

geezus

·
Registered
907 Posts

I'll have to back Pat on this one. We were servicing right next to them.

gp

·
Banned
2,738 Posts

They'd probably been partying with Mustapha!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Um, Andrew, you sure that little tumble you had didn't affect you?

This wasn't the Italian Job.

Your crew tells a "creative" story.

press on,

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

hmmm....I guess that answers that.

Pat, I'll make sure to slap my dad and brother....

Andrew Sutherland
UniversalRally.com

·
Registered
901 Posts
RE: Dedo's tendencies

Quite honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if the purported incident with Dedo and the cops actually did happen.

After all, a few years ago in Laughlin, he sped through the service area and then did some cookies in the service area after doing good on the super special... even though there were a lot of spectators, children, other cars, dogs, etc. etc. milling around.

He got a talking to, but that's about it.

Of course, he also got a reputation out of that, and word on the street is that local organizers are going to be keeping a strict eye on speeding (on the streets or in the service area) and the penalties will be harsh.

:)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

>But it didn't.

It did....it didn't. Who cares? It's a good story. All it needs is some hookers, guns, and crack to become a great story.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

Yeah, shoot, it was starting to gain in stature and possibly approach the tale of a certain Stratos chased by the U.P. constabulary.

But now there's nothiing left but mistaken memories. Oh well.

·
Registered
803 Posts

> word on
>the street is that local organizers are going to be keeping a
>strict eye on speeding (on the streets or in the service area)
>and the penalties will be harsh.
>

You should be giving harsh penalties, always, at all times, to everyone.

If this is some sort of hint that in any way, shape or form, AT ALL, that certain competitors are going to be treated differently than other competitors, based on who they might be, or events that may or may not have happened over three years ago, or even one month ago, or even last week, or based on pure hereseay, I would have to say that a) that is completely baseless and b) if I were the team manager or driver in question I wouldn't stand for it in an instant and c) there would be a substantial basis for any appeal of any sort should one be required.

But of course, that is not what you are saying, because rally america has a mechanism for sanctioning drivers for such things, including probations, suspensions, etc. and doesn't need to leave it up to vigilante organizers to 'set things straight'. BECAUSE THOSE TYPES OF THINGS HAVE HAPPENED TO ME in the past, in the "pre-RA" days, with certain stewards and organizers who shall remain nameless. Thats why, that isn't what you are saying, right ? :)

-Pat

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've been following this thread, because I always find this kind of stuff interesting. I agree with Pat perceptions on this. But what really irritates me in this thread, is that once again we have rally fans almost, if not directly, picking a fight with a rally driver. I wasn't at 100Acre, but I would be willing to put money on the fact that a lot of spectators were boozing it up in the woods.

Am I right?

Why doesn't this topic get touched on this forum? It should, because if a rally driver gets caught speeding . . . he'll get disqualified. Why aren't we focusing on what really matters to the image of this sport in the US, and abroad. In my opinion, if a drunken spectator causes an accident transiting from stage to stage, we can lose this sport in America in an instant. Frankly, nothing chaps my hide like seeing wannabe spectator drinking beer in the forest.

Simon

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Why doesn't this topic get touched on this forum? It should,
>because if a rally driver gets caught speeding . . . he'll get
>disqualified. Why aren't we focusing on what really matters
>to the image of this sport in the US, and abroad. In my
>opinion, if a drunken spectator causes an accident transiting
>from stage to stage, we can lose this sport in America in an
>instant. Frankly, nothing chaps my hide like seeing wannabe
>spectator drinking beer in the forest.

Best not come to a rally in Quebec then.

I have no problem with spectators drinking that aren't unruly, littering and who won't be driving later. Geez, they serve beer at NASCAR events and arena sport events right to your seat and at rally awards ceremonies. IMHO, there are idiots everywhere and its not our business to police them.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts

>hmmm....I guess that answers that.
>
>Pat, I'll make sure to slap my dad and brother....

I'd blame that dog (the one with the Hindi name I can't spell). She was over in our service area begging turkey and Doritos and barking lots of smack.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts