Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I shink you will need Kanobbier tires than what I last saw on the bike....

I've been keeping my one lazy cheap eye open for a 525 after riding yours. So yummy. If I can get some KTM bars for the KLR, I might almost be as happy, assuming I can lose 150 lbs somewhere else.... :D

nerd edit: I really liked how the controls on your bike felt. I poked around, some, or a lot, and apparently stock KTM bends are about as flat as bars go, at least from what I could see. Very serendipitous for me as I've been fighting severe shoulder pain since starting to ride again.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Making a KLR turn like a KTM? That might be a tall order. Might try a Honda CR bend for the bar, but Kaw traditionally puts the bar mounts pretty far back in the triples.

Mine has stock bars, but bar risers. And a tall seat. So it's not quite the same as stock. And I lower the forks in the clamps to get it to turn like an old Honda.

We use both sets of wheels. Knobs on 18/21s and Supermotos on 17s.

It's my swiss army bike. :) It does everything pretty darn good...as long as you have padded shorts.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
er, my left wrist is "modified", so the generous sweep of the handlebars that came with the KLR mussed up the shoulder.

The KTM bars have much less sweep, so I'm not jammed up against the bolts and plates around my scaphoid.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old Honda bars have less sweep...just like new KTM bars. But they are 7/8" all the way through instead of tapered, so they will bolt up in your KLR clamps. Hence why I suggested Honda bars.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes. Going balls out on a blacktop rally seems a little scary to me. I made use of a gravel trap at Barber Motorspors Park once... Hate to think of that being a stand of maples. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.