Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freddy Loix has been replaced by Harri Rovanpera for as soon as Mexico. Rovanpera is testing the 307 in Sardinia for the third round.
Peugeot declared that Loix will stay with Peugeot, but no specifics were released.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
379 Posts
From Autosport.com...dated Feb 7th

quote:
Peugeot boss "thinking hard" about Belgian's status

Peugeot Sport boss Corrado Provera has admitted to concerns about Freddy Loix's performance, and has hinted that the team could replace the Belgian as its designated second driver.

Loix finished fourth on the Monte Carlo Rally, but was off the pace of team-mate Marcus Gronholm. The Belgian has a contract with Peugeot for 10 events, but it doesn't state that he must be nominated for manufacturers' points.

"It is clear that Freddy's performance at the moment is not at the level of the car," said Provera. "He feels as disappointed about that as we do. But you have to remember that Freddy was employed by us as a third driver. Then the rules changed, which meant that he became our second driver. So he is in a role that was never planned for him.

"We will be thinking hard between now and Rally Mexico about what to do. It's certain that Freddy will be driving in Mexico, but it's also clear that we need to find a solution. I don't know what that solution is, but it's important for Peugeot to have the maximum opportunity to win the manufacturers' championship."

Speaking to AUTOSPORT this week, Loix admitted to disappointment with his performance on the Monte, but was confident that the next event in Mexico could be a turning point.

"I usually go well on new stages," Loix told AUTOSPORT. "Maybe this is the event where I could win for the first time."

Rumours currently circulating the Swedish service park suggests that Peugeot could draft in Colin McRae for Mexico.

Nicky Grist even talked about it last night on WRC sweden

·
Registered
789 Posts
Peugeot is actually hurting with their current driver line-up, considering they are very well funded and have a fabulous car.

The loss of Panizzi will be really telling. They would have been better giving Panizzi the Loix role so that they could have had a better shot on Tarmac, even if it meant guaranteeing him a ride for every event.

I'm not certain whether Colin is the answer, but he has a lot more talent than Freddy.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If I remember correctly, Rovanpera came over and did recce at Mexico 2 years ago. That may have something to do with it.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>If I remember correctly, Rovanpera came over and did recce
>at Mexico 2 years ago. That may have something to do with
>it.

Actually, he competed in it two years ago and won it.

alan

·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct!
Sebastien Loeb ran recce in Mexico, Harri Rovanpera won it in 2002.
That makes Harri and Sebastien the only drivers with some experience in Mexico.

Could this be that Peugeot didn't want Loeb to win this event too?
}>

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm surprised that Harri is driving for them, with the send-off he was given, Provera doubting his state of mind, etc. Still, the opportunity to drive again is one few would pass up.

I too am surprised they wouldn't give Gilles a full drive. That's all he wanted. They thought Harry and Freddy would do a better job (3 drivers) and are now in a bit of a pickle with the current regulations.

Harry

·
Registered
789 Posts
>Harri has been guaranteed a seat in New Zealand also.
>
>Neil.
That could mean that all they will give him is a gift-wrapped Recaro!

I still think it will have to be a Mexican podium for Harri to continue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
> That could mean that all they will give him is a gift-wrapped Recaro!
>
>I still think it will have to be a Mexican podium for Harri to continue.

It does not have to be podium, as long as he is better than other 2nd drivers, he is safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Harri said himself on tv yesterday that he has a contract for Mexico & NZ and that he is negotiating for rest of the gravel rallies for this year.

What comes to Colin, Peugeot denies that there is any talks with him but who knows. Anyway he does have a contract with Nissan for rally raids so it can cause some problems to sign a contract with Pug.

·
Registered
46 Posts
>>
>>Welcome to the forum, Juha.
>
>Thanks!

Welcome!

Incidentally I had a friend in highschool who was an exchange student from Salo.

Finns are awesome!

·
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Harri will drive at the WRC New Zealand round as well.

Whiplash RallyeSport

1 - 17 of 17 Posts