Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What did everyone think about Delecour's verbal tirade to his co-driver, after a late note resulted in them going off the road on the last day of the Q?

I thought it was a bit over the top, considering Delecour's penchant for putting his co-drivers in the hospital after he makes a drivng error.

His co-driver on this rally was fortunate that Delecour was driving so slow on the event that the off road excursion did little personal damage.

I think he might have trouble finding a willing note reader for any future rallies.

Doug Woods

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
I was surprised too at the vehemence of the rant. Rallying can be intense and I can't pretend to know what it is like on the WRC works crew level but it wasn't like a win in the event was thrown away by the crash. Was his co-driver, Dominique Savignoni, a woman? I thought I saw one shot looking in the car from the driver's side where the right side occupant seemed to be a lady. Apparently Francois is not the perfect French gentleman.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
789 Posts
Doug--I don't speak French.

However, I think he threw his helmet at the co-driver's legs.

Sheer frustration but a good excuse for Mitsubishi to give him the heave ho.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Give him the boot.

He wasn't getting it done before the tirade anyway.

Put Sainz and Moya in the car.

Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
89 323GTX - Open

·
Registered
630 Posts
I dont speak French, but I think the tirade loosely translates to:

"You are terrible, and if you do that again I will crash the car on your side and put you in the hospital like I did to Daniel."

I agree, yank him and put Carlos and Luis in there....or A. McCrae and Nicky Grist?

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
I had a codriver miss a call once, at night, in the fog, at about 70mph. It was a hairpin right, and we blew right through it, under a banner tape, and thank God onto a road. After dodging spectators, missing parked cars, and bringing the car to sliding stop in the mud, I let loose a verbal tirade that went something like "I'll read the %@#$ road, you keep your head in the #@%$#!$ book before you get us both killed!!" He wasn't a codriver normally (driver), and he had missed many calls before that. Afterwards I felt kind bad cuz he was trying his hardest, but I did notice that after our "discussion" he didn't miss another call all night.

Letting loose frustrations on the guy next to you is never called for, but it happens. As long as you can laugh and have a beer about it later, it's no big deal.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

Ps. I'd be nervous if Delacour threatened me though. This is a guy that Colin McCrae calls "Psycho".

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Translation (in General terms) of Delacour's tirade.

"YOU ARE TOO LATE WITH THE NOTES! TOO LATE! WAY TOO LATE!!"

I think all the frustrations of his season came to a head at that point. French aren't known for their control of tempers, so he just flipped.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>Translation (in General terms) of Delacour's tirade.
>
>"YOU ARE TOO LATE WITH THE NOTES! TOO LATE! WAY TOO
>LATE!!"
>
>I think all the frustrations of his season came to a head at
>that point. French aren't known for their control of
>tempers, so he just flipped.

"trop tard" is "too late," that was certainly a big part of the tirade. I thought I also heard "dix fois", which would be "ten times." So it sounds like some boiling over from that off and some other late calls.

Ben

·
Registered
113 Posts
Whilst not likely to win support from the pacifists and bleeding heart liberals I'm from the old school that has found a wee bit of pain has a soothing affect on a spoiled brats paddy. My advice to Delecours co-drivers in the future, if he is dumb enough to take his helmet off, an upper cut with the note book will bring him back to reality.

"The best form of Defence is Offence"

Don:p

·
Registered
151 Posts
Maybe Tonya Harding is out of work again ...she'd be ideal as Delecour's navvie (compact & lightweight build, big mouth, accustomed to driving into ditches, handy with big sticks & hubcaps, and has the same temperament as Francois)

:+

·
Registered
366 Posts
FD showed why he was dropped from Peugot and many other teams. No one that is professional will tolerate this kind of childishness. The man has talent and is obviously competitive, but has not matured as a human in dealing with others. I would not be surprised to see his days on a works team soon ending...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Pretty much all the other drivers/teams in the WRC thinks FD is crazy.

The crash and the outburst are not surprising at all.

I believe they call him Senior Psycho or something like that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My french aint great either

As a co driver over here in IRELAND and a former fan of Mr Delecour.....I was a touch miffed to hear how Delecour shouted at his co driver after his off in Epynt on the Network Q RAC. From watching it back and discussing it with another co driver 100 times more expperienced than I am its my considered opinion that the note was called in good time but that it was a wrong note, by that I mean it was made wrong, that stage and that section are notoriously difficult and as COC F Gallagher says the drivers have a throttle and a brake. Delecour makes the notes the co driver just calls them I dont think the call that Delecour claims was late (6 crest into) was correct in the first instance and from the body language in the car Dominique Savigoni thought the same as he seemed to point at the note as much as to say "its there pal I called it" The co drivers job is a tough one, we are only spoken of when things go wrong and it seems appropriate to blame us! I dont know if I would have had the guts if I had been in Dominiques position but it would have been great to tell Francois to F off and bring his yet again totalled Lancer with him.
Just my considered opinion I could be totally wrong! but then when did I ever believe that!
:9 Martin Brady

1 - 16 of 16 Posts