Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mentioned in the latest Autoweek... OKA! This is the perfect opportunity to get a spec car class going! Heck they even already produce a race car!

Here are the most important links!

http://www.okaauto.com

The race car!

http://www.okaauto.com/prod01.htm

Check out all the specs!
And possibly the greatest thing about it is the ....Navigator Seat is "standard" !!!!!!

Who wants to approach them with a marketing plan?:)

Mike Anderson
85 VW GTI

·
Registered
434 Posts
These cars were discussed in another thread awhile back.

Aside from the fact these cars aren't street legal I don't see how they could possibly be any fun to drive. High CG (roll'em at an auto-x!), no power and I can't imagine the quality of the components is very good. Are there any domestically available spares and is $9k really such a bargain for what you are gettting?

While the OKA can *look* sorta like a rally car I think they make prepped Metros look like Super 1600s...LOL

C

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Guys - Markko Martin and I both started in Russian Ladas (he's gone further). Less power than a motor scooter. But simple and rugged ilke I suspect this Oka is. And cheap cheap cheap to repair.

And, most important, rally an underpowered car for a year or two then get in an AWD turbo and you will be waaay faster than someone who started with the AWD turbo, simply because you will know how to preserve momentum.

So not such a crazy idea, actually.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

PS I don't know that it has a high roll center either - sure it looks tall but it doesn't matter where the roof is, only where the heavy bits are relative to the axle line.
A.

·
Registered
280 Posts
at 9000$USD its not that good of a deal...

These litle cars look sweet...but ? were do we get the parts...and are those wheel 3 bolts ? or im alusinating ?

Just go out and get Justy's...

Plus...over here in Quebec Oka mean...stinky cheese....and i mean very...very stinky cheese.....my favorite cheese...but very stinky...:+ huuum.....Oka cheese....:+

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking the same thing.... not very sturdy looking... but then neither is a Geo Metro... or Hyundai Elantra for that matter (Didn't stop those cars from doing well)
Looking closer at that photo, isn't KAMAZ one of those big truck builders who regularly contest Paris-Dakar? Wonder if the two companies are related?
I actually think it's kinda cool that this little car manufacturer has gone to the trouble of building what they call a "Race" car... at least it shows enthusiasm.

Mike Anderson
85 VW GTI

·
Registered
374 Posts
We were approached by the Russian gentleman that imports them at one of the Las Vegas (Jean NV) SCCA rally crosses. When he'd mentioned that he had a hand in bringing the Yugo over here I smiled and thanked him for his offer to give us an Oka at cost. He runs or co-owns a company called "Lube for life". Some sort of ultra space age engine lubricant that can go for 100,000 miles or more. (Something like that.) Really a nice guy though.

Jim

·
Registered
434 Posts
My comment on the high CG comes from an online story I read awhile back. A guy who purchased the Oka race managed to roll it at a regular Solo 2 autocross. Generally this is a difficult feat to manange in most cars, especially when you don't hit anything.
C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts