Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was great to meet so many specialstage.com members at Tall Pines, whom I had not met before or had not met for a long time.

I met Scott Harvey Jr., Don Kennedy, Sarah Grenier, Dave Cizmas, Jake Himes, Matt Johnston and Art Burmeister for the first time and renewed 30 year old acquaintances with old rally farts Kim DeMotte and Kent Gardam.

My apologies to Jeff Secor and Jimmy Brandt for not recognizing them without their driving suits on. ;)

And finally, even bigger apologies to Kent Gardam for refusing his offer of free beer, three times. I don't think that I have ever turned down a free beer before but I was trying to finish off by duties as a Steward. Far too much dedication to the job, I think.

Hope to see you all (and many more Forum members) again at the 2005 Tall Pines.

Doug Woods

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
>My apologies to Jeff Secor and Jimmy Brandt for not
>recognizing them without their driving suits on. ;)

No worries Doug - I don't spend enough time on the right side of the border anyway. It was good to see you again, Thank you (and everyone else) for working the event!

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Doug,

You're forgiven for the refusals, but just see if I refuse three times if you ever offer! Everybody associated with the rally was fantastic! From the registration desk crew, to the techies, to Linda and Terry Epp, to the control workers, to my fellow co-drivers like Adrian, Dave G., Jeffy and the rest, to the guys serving the beer, to yourself, and so many others, the attitudes couldn't have been more welcoming and concerned that we were well taken care of, that we understood all the intracacies of the event, and that we were having fun. What a fun event, what great roads (well maybe except for Mayo Lake, that WAS a TAD ROUGH for a Talon). It was great to be back at Tall Pines after 30 years. It sure won't be 30 more before I'm there again.

Thanks to one and all!

Kent Gardam

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Doug, Kent offered me this beer and said something like "Doug Woods just turned this down....will you try it to see if it's OK?"

So I did! And it was...thanks Kent!

It was really quite a reunion weekend! I'll be on the north side of the border as often as I can next year.....with whoever's going!

Thanks to EVERYBODY who stood out in the drizzle!

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Mark Buskirk and I went up to work TP. This is the first Canadian event that I have worked (will start another thread on that).

I am sure that our Stage Commander (Doug Hollands) thought that he was getting a couple of rookies (2 guys from Michigan who he had never heard of, call sign that doesn't fit the CN standard). Enjoyed seeing the surprized look from some competitors (what are YOU doing here?) (Told them that I gave Nathalie's name at the border).

Doug - no worries - sometimes it is neat being kind of incognito.

RallyBrat finished his first CN event (more than I can say).

Canada - thank you guys.

press on,

·
Registered
77 Posts
It was pretty neat to see a bunch of folks I've only seen in name at Pines.

Met Kim DeMotte at the start of A5 where he had to stop and check out the scenery in the rain, as the VW died on the start line.

Saw Alex again, after meeting him a few years ago at Maine.

"Sort of" met Jimmy Brandt at the start of B1. I thought where I was (Start of B1) was the start of B2, which was where I was supposed to be.
Since he was pretty sure he was in the right place, I knew I wasn't! So.. off we go to drive through B1 to get to our control (Not that that was a bad thing!)

Frank de Kat

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>Doug, Kent offered me this beer and said something like
>"Doug Woods just turned this down....will you try it to see
>if it's OK?"
>
>So I did! And it was...thanks Kent!

Kim:

Thanks for drinking "my beer". Did Kent let you drink "my other two beers" also?

Just so you don't feel too sorry for us, once our duties were over, the three Stewards enjoyed two fine bottles of wine, along with cheese, crackers and sausage back at our B&B around midnight.

Unfortunately, we missed the post rally story telling. Fortunately, we did not have to listen to the noise from the band. :)

Doug Woods

·
Registered
66 Posts
Me & Greg Goss finished 2nd in Group 2 in the Regional event. We were 11th overall, but 5th if you don't count teams entered in both events.

This was my first rally, and I had an awesome time codriving and can't wait to do it again :). It also gave Greg his first finish.

The stage notes were awesome, and made us both feel like pros. It was a great feeling to see how as my timing of notes improved, Greg got rather faster. We only got passed once (by an open-class Audi), and, on the 28Km Mayo Lake stage, we passed the guys who ended up winning the Regional Grp2.

To any & all who worked/organized, etc., a big thank-you, and it was a great rally, with a big variety in the stages, from wide & fast to narrow and rough, with a night stage and a half thrown in, as it got dark halfway through A9.

-jeff

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
volume

I know the old saying "when the music is too loud, you are too old".

BUT, TP now joins Colorado Cog, where it is almost impossible to hold a conversation. I know that I am not the target market, but geeeez!

>Unfortunately, we missed the post rally story telling.
>Fortunately, we did not have to listen to the noise from the
>band. :)
>
>Doug Woods

press on,

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Good to put some faces on the names I've learned about over the years but have never met. I would have liked to get to meet some more people but the little issue I had with my turbo restrictor consumed most of the day Friday and kept me from doing what I would have liked to do. Nobodys fault but my own for the restrictor issue but I hate to have to work on the car at an event before it starts. Next time I'll get to spend more time socializing.

·
Registered
665 Posts
RE: volume

>I know the old saying "when the music is too loud, you are
>too old".

I have to agree with you there. Tough to hear yourself inside the tent - plus we had kids there and it was just too loud to bother.

Robin (34 yrs old)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Frank, as you said at the time control, you hadn't seen me since I was fallen over that little girls bicycle in that rocky, Maine ditch in 2002, hehe...

And it was nice to see Doug Woods again of course, and have Jimmy hassle me about my co-driving practices ;-) I swear Jimmy, I didn't tell Matt about the spectator areas! It was just too damn obvious!

But we finished anyway none-the-less. That makes 5 in a row for me (as I jinx myself now). Definitely, a *very* fun weekend.

http://www.inspire-solutions.com/tp04/CRW_6666.jpg

http://www.inspire-solutions.com/tp04/speccie2.jpg

Thanks,
Alex

1 - 13 of 13 Posts