Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after deciding to pursue a degree in criminal justice, i have decided to not get a raly car.;

i will however, try to ralycross my daily driver.
i would like to know if i can use some snow tires on gravel with some success... (i need snows, anyway)

or can i use gravel tires for rallyX AND on snow?

i plan on getting a pair of 14" steel wheels from the base model focus (i have 15"), and mounting a set of either.(along with upgrading the dampers a bit)

bTW, would anyone care to recommend a particular size? (ex: 165/60/14)

thanks,
ERIC

·
Registered
868 Posts
Snow tires work okay on gravel, but they wear relatively quickly and would puncture in hard core rally conditions. Gravel tires don't do well in snow.
Dave
Car # 207

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, i MAY be able to get away with using snows for both?

i would buy both, but i do not have the funds for two extra sets of tires and wheels.

do you think my pirelli p400 all seasons would work on a rallycross course?

·
Registered
204 Posts
You would be best off giving someone $100 for a used set of rally tires and getting snow tires for snow only.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Hey stick with 15", you didn't say where you're at, so we can't say what sort of snow you get. If you get lots of real snow or you go out looking for snow a Nokian NR09 165x15 studded would be a hot tire, unstudded would be a really warm tire.(before you say WHAT!, it is dimensionally indentical with the tires the real WRC rally cars use when they do snow events, they are called 10/65x15 or 10/65 x16.)

If you get hard packed snow and ice some of the slighty wider studdless things like Blizzak type thangs in 185/65 x 15 would be better.
As for playing on the rallycross with snow tires, yaeh, you'll chew them up.
Get some spare wheels and look for Michelin L4, L3 in size 14/62 x15.
I like them so much I've used them when worn too much for gravel use for daily driver tires, they're super beeeeechin'.

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i agree w/dave and john get some used rally tires on some steels. they are worth it. you will move into a prepared class but you will still be competitive in your class. and you will have more fun on old rally tires because you wont have to worry about popping a bead pinch flats and what not. and they will increase your ability to drive w/reckless abanndon tenfold. i recently rallyxed on my cooper weathermaster s/t's instead of my michelin rally tires and was very displeased w/ the result. they have too much tread squirm and sidewall flex. i dont even really like them that much on the street either. so get used rally tires for rallyx and dedicated high performance all season tires like the bfg gforce kdws. sport compact car put them on thier project wrx and loves them on the dirt and pavement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts