Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard annecdotally that Mr. Johnson had to use
his spill kit for the transmission failure.
Wondering if anyone knew any more about it?

How did it work? Did it work, etc...

Ed

G

·
We bought the Gator kit (as seen on PRCB020103) and tie-wrapped it into the car having never opened it. As we were standing around looking at the puddle of gear oil we'd made it occured to us to use the kit to clean it up. Upon opening the kit we found:

- Several heavy-duty paper towels
- Some kind of putty used for plugging leaks (supposed to seal oily holes from the outside- could be good stuff if it works)
- Rubber gloves
- A plastic droploth
- Something else? (don't recall now)

Anyway, the paper towels were fairly large so we tore some up to cover our irregularly-shaped spill. They acted very much like you would expect paper towels to. We were helped by the ground being very wet- the oil didn't seem to seep in much and I think we were able to get most of it up.

All in all, not too exciting.

Carl
codriver, car #46 Johnson/Fisher

128 Posts
Nope, no kitty litter here.

Carl left out the safety goggles but I think he remembered the rest.

It wasn't that much oil, actually a good bit of it had already burned into blue smoke on our downpipe before the diff totally gave up and we stopped. Probably a little less than a quart was on the ground.

I was happy to have something to get it up with instead of just leaving it there.

Matthew Johnson
TRIrally.com
MatthewJohnson.us

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dan Cook and I used our spill kit on SS6 after we went off and the car was wedged onto its side against a tree. We were leaking a small bit of fuel, so we pulled out the kit (same experience and materials as Matt and Carl) and layed down the materials where the fuel was dripping to the embankment. The sheets did seem to absorb the fuel well but it was hard to tell since the ground was covered in leaves and on a fairly steep hill. When the car was pulled out after SS, the sweep tossed the materials into the floor pan of the Datsun. I was glad to see they didn't forget to pick them up.

Bill Rhodes

·
Registered
901 Posts
Gator spill kits come with some heavy-duty papertowels, dropcloth, etc. and the neat sand-like kitty litter stuff to soak up any wayward oil, etc.

And I think they're the ones who will replace it when you send them photos of their kit "in action".

I put my spill kit on Mom's side of the car to even out the weight a little... :)

KT

G

·
Dang, should have gotten a few seconds of video of the paper towels doing their stuff... I wasn't aware at the time that there was a replacement policy.

Carl

128 Posts
I remembered something about the policy but thought it so rediculous to carry a camera in the rally car just to shoot pictures of the freggin' potential spill kit usage... I mean we're rallying here!!! This need not be a carefully documented procedure!

For now I believe we'll replace the used paper towels with other paper towels that are nice and thick and we'll bring more of them. (nice and thick= not the type you can buy in the grocery store..)

BTW, is everyone elses spill kit that huge pvc pipe? I bet the same could easily be fit in a slimmer pouch.... Guess I can go do that myself if we're really cramped for space.

Cheerio,

Matthew Johnson
TRIrally.com
MatthewJohnson.us

·
Registered
926 Posts
>
>BTW, is everyone elses spill kit that huge pvc pipe? I bet
>the same could easily be fit in a slimmer pouch.... Guess I
>can go do that myself if we're really cramped for space.
>
>Cheerio,
>
>Matthew Johnson
>TRIrally.com
>MatthewJohnson.us

The kit I got from Susquehanna Motorsports is the GATOR, in a clear zippered vinyl bag. It has the kitty litter - more like a brown powder and an oil absorbent mat.

BJ's Club sells the blue paper Scott shop towels that are good for oil cleanup - is that what your kit has?

So, I guess you will be adding that LSD now, huh...

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I've got a throw away camera in the tool box in the trunk. Of course after bouncing around there for 2 years who knows if it's any good :'(

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Mine does comes with 2 bags of somthing or other. Crushed walnut shells? One baggy is a white substance and the other is a brown substance. Mad Mike explained it to me. Why would one of the kits have this and the other does not?

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
If you want the 'scoop' on Oil Gator, be sure to visit http://www.okgator.com/oilgator/oil_gator.asp where there's a fair description of the product that will make it obvious why Rally Distributing's biggest spill remediation clients are fire departments and HazMat teams.

So far as rallying is concerned, Don Stephens says it is OK Gator's intention to offer free replacement of the parts of the Gator kit used on-stage by rally teams who carry the Gator stickers. I suppose the picture request was so Don can start covering a wall at their Tulsa compound with shots of rally cars ... not necessarily of the spill scene, but at least a shot of the car with a gator sticker on it some where. You may contact Don at 1-800-755-3119 for details.

As for Lurch's multi-hued bags of Oil Gator, I haven't a freakin clue unless someone from Pig stole the contents and replaced it with flour - or something a lot more exciting! ;)

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hooray for the Ohklahoma Gator!

What a great company! I just spent about 10 mins reading up on their website, and I feel like I want to go spill some oil somewhere, just so as I can Gator it up.

Is it still legal to say things like that in America?

Are you there, Mean John Ashcroft... it's me,

Isaac

1 - 17 of 17 Posts