Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two posts locked in 3 days.

This is a very bad trend, and could well spell the end of Special stage forumns if the thread locking continues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to agree. This site is the one and only place I come looking for news and fellowship amongst people knowledgeable about rally. I can't say that I am an avid enthusiast by any means, but it is the one auto sport that actually piques my interest. I guess one of the reasons for this is the fact that in all people I have dealt with in rally, they don't seem to be too uptight or razed when good hearted whitty banter is in the air. It seems to me that these locked out posts riddled with a humorous tone are often the most viewed on the forum. I think the majority of people who are on this forum get IT. If it weren't for this, I would really have no other reason to continue following rally outside of spectating and even then it would lose some of it's connection with me. It's still fun, even though I can't say that I know anybody named Pard or can correctly diagnose a problem in a rear slip diff. But then again, I'm just a slicker.

As the sport expands and draws better drivers in all classes, I hope that doesn't mean that we are banned from laughing. If so I may just have to grit my teeth and head for daytona. And I really don't feel like joining in a conversation about "the 24 car" during happy hour, or hearing the masses chant "rubbin's racin." I'd personally rather watch paint dry.

shawn
minneapolis, mn

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
Why do people always have to claim first amendment when they don't like how someone runs THEIR OWN WEBSITE?

The first amendment protects your right to express your opinion. You can go say whatever you want on the street corner. You can start your own website and post any opinions you want.

You CANNOT force the owners of specialstage or anyone else to allow you to use THEIR RESOURCES to state your opinion.

The first amendment has no relevance to this issue whatsoever.

That said, having run internet forums myself, I think that closing such threads serves no valid purpose. It simply gratifies those who post hoping to generate disruption, and irritates most others.

Expecting people to remain on-topic and serious on an Internet forum is an exercise in futility and self-delusion.

Asking serious questions on an Internet forum is like trying to drive a screw with a hammer. It might work eventually, but not the way you wanted it to.

-Mark Holden

·
Registered
31 Posts
Having read the first amendment I do not understand why you believe your first amendment rights have been attacked. The rights extended under the amendment deal with laws that curtail the freedom of the press, freedom of speech et al.

A government passing a law that made specialstage.com illegal would violate the first amendment The operator(s) of a web site discussion forum locking a thread is merely the owner(s) managing personal property in a manner that he or they feel appropriate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just grumbling on a Saturday morning

Sometimes I have to wonder why people think that insults are an acceptable form of communication. Jibes and jokes are on thing, but personal attacks because ones position is too weak to defend is another.
In my opinion this forum isn't a place to come try to "get off a good on" on someone who has written a contrary opinion to someone else's. If that is how a person communicates, there are plenty of teeny-bopper sites to go and get ones sophmoric rocks off.

The administrator of this site sets the tone for HIS site. One way to do that is to lock threads that are not to his standard. Why can't people learn from that, and adjust their style to fall within that standard? Locking a thread is not an attack on anyones self precieved rights, it's a standard.
Complaints that state restrictions will cost them this great site are right. For those who want an unrestricted forum for their own witt will leave or be asked to leave.
I contend that complaints about locked threads and behavior such as that which forces locked threads will sooner try the patience of the administrator of this site, and may cause him to question his own sanity in continuing his hard work.

I will admit that I laugh at some of the crazy comments that get posted here. Some of the "burns" handed out are good ones. Inveriably those comments are not meant to hurt, but endear the target of the burn. Even I can tell the difference, and if I can, I am sure the administrator can. So let him do his job, and be edified when he does.

Troy Peterson
If you can't take the speed
Stay out of the Justy

·
Registered
630 Posts
RE: Just grumbling on a Saturday morning

Well, I am going to be diplomatic and be on both sides of this one. I think Jim does a GREAT job with this site, and several threads that were locked were obviously out of hand, I think were not bad moves, like the one that brought up several ex-presidents, that one had little positive information. On the other hand, some have been locked and I couldnt understand why. On balance I think Jim is doing a very good job.

·
Registered
706 Posts
>Why do people always have to claim first amendment when they
>don't like how someone runs THEIR OWN WEBSITE?

Let's not get too picky on the semantics, I think everyone understands what is meant by the original post, they are concerned about censorship on the forums.

>The first amendment has no relevance to this issue
>whatsoever.

Exactly, the point is relevance. If these forums, which are the "de facto" discussion group for the North American rally scene at the moment, are perceived to be "filtered" through some agenda or a place where people cannot freely express their opinions, then its relevance will be diminished.

That said, I think the administrators have done a reasonably good job in handling it. However...

>That said, having run internet forums myself, I think that
>closing such threads serves no valid purpose.

Me too, I run phorums that have more posts than every section on specialstage put together. The only posts I have deleted are the totally off-topic ones that are not posted in "off topic" areas.

Flame wars work themselves out in the end, and people can make their own judgements based on how the "combatants" present their cases.

>Asking serious questions on an Internet forum is like trying
>to drive a screw with a hammer. It might work eventually,
>but not the way you wanted it to.

That's a bit cynical, but you do have to take everything with a grain of salt, especially since (like in real life) a lot of people repeat information not because its right but because they heard it somewhere, and then restate it as a truth. Sometimes it's unintentional, somtimes it's to look like an "expert".

Anyway, my point being, some people definately need to lighten up on here and learn how to take a joke.

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!
http://www.rallyrace.net/

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
I'm not going to comment much about this, but I will explain my motives in case anyone gets confused.

If I personally feel a thread is turning into personal attacks I lock it. If I personally feel a thread is nothing but flames or is going to turn into a flame fest, I lock it. I try not to censor opinions about the sport.

Good natured humor has a place here, mean spirited humor does not.

I listen to the people who use these forums and take their advice to heart. If you feel a thread is getting out of hand, send me an email. If you feel a thread is locked unfairly, send me an email. I do listen.

I should note, several times in the past, the person who started the thread requests it be locked. I will generally honor those requests.

I am just trying to do my best to keep the forum a positive, constructive and productive place to discuss rally. That is why we built this house.

I do tend to delete threads with politics or religion as the main topic because those never seem to be a productive way to discuss rally. There are better forums for such conversations.

[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you, Jim.

There is nothing more obnoxious than seeing adults "flame on", and unlike an email list, you can't just delete the notes from the authors who are perpetually negative.

Being a complete novice to your sport, I started reading ss.com a year or so ago. I've learned a great deal just by reading the posts of the members. I appreciate your efforts. Holly Remington

·
Registered
186 Posts

"..there is no cannibalism in the British Navy. Absolutely none. By 'none' I mean there is a certain amount more than we are prepared to admit...(Unknown PR flunky)"

I've long thought that line came from the Monty Python "How Long Is It, Sir?" sketch......

·
Registered
590 Posts
Based on what???

This is not a publically held board. It is Jim's and his to do as he sees fit.

Political correctness makes me puke, but if it were mine, I'd have done the same thing in most cases.

Seeing adults act like 4-year-olds is really amusing, but only for a very short time.

Matt Manspeaker
Seattle, WA USA
89 323GTX - Open

·
Registered
250 Posts

It does, the response letter to the "how long is it" scene.

Greg,
Crew Chief
1989 GTX #291

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts

Yes, I took a little "editorial liberty" with the Python quote to relate it to our current situation with PR folks. I have heard similar doublespeak type things from our favorite PR Flunky so I though it was appropriate.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Now I'm no fan of thread-locking, but psshaw on your silly First Ammendment squawking. This forum is one of the *least* censored places around -- in part because, yes, it hasn't been very crowded around here... but also because people are generally reasonable and occasionally ;-) polite.

If that changes, I'm glad there's somebody around to lock threads down before they get out of control.

Isaac in Cambridge

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Despite the occasional loss of tempers, where compared to other forums is still rather mild, this forum is a nice place
If you ever spend any time on the Subaru forum or the like,where the median age is something like 18, people type like they are from the ghetto-every other word is F$#k or S*&t. Jim is doing a fine job!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts