Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Immediate Release

Rally stages add new dimension to famed Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

Minneapolis, Minn. (Mar. 24, 2005) ­ Rally America is bringing an exciting new rally challenge to the famed Pikes Peak International Hill Climb.

"It is already one of the most spectacular events in the extreme motorsports calendar. This makes it even better," says Rally America spokesman J.B. Niday.

No guardrails keep competitors from the edge as they race to the clouds each year in a 12.4-mile sprint up the 14,110-foot matron of the Rocky Mountains.

For 2005, the event will also include around 100 miles of additional special stages run in a traditional rally format in the Hartsel, Colorado, area -- only a 45 minute drive from Pikes Peak.

"We wanted to help turn this great event into a real rally," says Niday. "Phil Layton and the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb organization have bent over backwards to assist us."

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb rally is the fourth round of the 2005 Rally America Championship and is part of this year's North American Rally Cup. Organizers hope to see a record number of Canadian and other international teams on the entry list. All classes of rally cars are welcome.

Timing and scoring for the Hartsel stages will be performed by Rally America. Control workers and marshals will come from the Colorado Cog rally, the Colorado Hill Climb Association, as well as other experienced rally workers from around the U.S.

The rally will be chaired by former Ojibwe Forests Rally organizer Beryl Ann Burton with help and support from Colorado Cog organizer Jim Gill and his team as well as Ryan Oerter and members of the Colorado Hill Climb Association.

Pikes Peak International Hill Climb will sanction and insure the event on the Pikes Peak Highway and at Fan Fest, while Rally America will sanction and insure the transits and the stages away from Pikes Peak.

The Rally America, Inc., based in Minneapolis, Minn., holds the sanctioning and marketing rights to the Rally America Championship.

--30--

For further information: J.B. Niday, Managing Director Rally America, Inc. Tel: +1.763.553.2742 [email protected] www.rally-america.com

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to play Devil's advocate here, can one enter the rally portion of the event, and NOT the hillclimb, and save himself a portion of the zillion dollar entry fee? Sure, the climb is awesome, but to Joe Sixpack in his production Golf, is it really worth the extra dinero if all he really wants is seat time?

Regardless, this event looks awesome. Good job Rally America! Guess I better start pounding dents out of the Lancer.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Hill climb is a stage....

Kind of like asking Ben to charge 60% of the entry fee because you don't want to run the last set of stages.

Just because the performance might not be taht great doesn't mean it won't be an amazing ride....

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>Hill climb is a stage....
>
>
>Kind of like asking Ben to charge 60% of the entry fee because
>you don't want to run the last set of stages.
>
>Just because the performance might not be taht great doesn't
>mean it won't be an amazing ride....

I agree Kevin, just pointing out that the two hillclimb stages may be 15% or 20% of the rally, but they probably account for 50% to 75% of the entry fee. I dunno about you, but if was a club guy with a P class Jetta, just looking for miles, I'd be happy to drop 20 stage miles and save 1000 bucks.

But....Maybe they don't want lowly club guys in P class cars to enter...Uh oh, I smell a conspiracy theory here. Can anybody vouch for the location of Kurt Spitzner? }(
(calm down folks I'm just kidding)

Regardless, I think the event is going to be awesome, and I'm working hard to drum up the resources to run it. If I went out there, there is no way I wouldn't run the hill, I was just wondering if any consideration had been given to the bang for the buck crowd.

Which brings up another question. Will there be an also rans or superally rule, where schmucks like me who always crash out early can rejoin and do the hill climb?

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
3,740 Posts
PP isn't about people that just want miles, it might be snobbish but its true.

Its about people that want to test their skills, push their machinery, and experience one of the most storied and well known events in the world.

Any local p class guy will run all the HCs here in CO and save money and get the same miles.

I am not saying club type guys don't belong on the peak, anyone that wants to experience it should. But its not a cheap miles event, never has been, never will be.

OH yeah, it was under a grand if you committed back in jan.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Pikes Peak has been a dream of mine for a long time.I am new to Rally racing and this is my best way to do it. So I can race to the clowds.All i have for a crew is my 3 boys and a co-rider. Next year I plan on something bigger.Thanks Dennis.
Life is a Race.11 Brothers Motorsports

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
In fact, allowing a competitor to run JUST the rally stages and not run The Hill was discussed, but it didn't seem reasonable to offer a rally to the "little guys" that runs Thursday and Friday. If they're taking all that time off anyway, they might as well run one of the most famous races in the world, too. Yeah, it's expensive, but I haven't heard anybody that's been there say it isn't a great experience.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Can someone from the local area post "road character information?"

Are these other 100 stage miles identical in character to the Pikes Peak Toll Road?

Thank you,

Eric Burmeister

·
Registered
415 Posts
I added the tenative event schedule to the bottom of the press release on our front page.

[a href="http://www.specialstage.com/view.asp?StoryID=497"]Story link[/a]

Jeff Burmeister
SpecialStage.com
The North American Rally Resource
http://www.SpecialStage.com
Click [a href="mailto:[email protected]"] here [/a] to sign up for advertising

·
3,740 Posts
They are different.

Expect them to be softer, potentially sandy, at the Hartzel Memorial Hill climb, held on potentially one of the rally roads certainly had a surface consistency that favored a more sand like tread and awd.

The Pikes Peak toll road will be relatively smoothe with few rocks, very hard packed with loose gravel around the turns on the pavement and light marbel sized gravel on the road.

Colorado weather is sketchy, especially at 14,000 feet. Out of the last 3 years 2 have been hot, dusty, dry, with a gentle breeze. Last year there was snow on wednesday, ice and snow on the top of the mountain, and it snowed/hailed about 3-4 inches on the top of the mountain on race day and cut half of the race short because the upper levels of the road had to be cleared and were covered with a nasty slime that got to be up to 3" deep in the turns.

Weeks before the event any grading that needs to be done will likely be done then generous helping of either CaCl or MgCl, I can't remember what they use, will be added to all the dirt sections and this had lead in the two dry years to in some turns on dirt rubber being put down and some black streaks appearing on the dirt.

There are a lot of theories on car set up/bias and tire choice, they very by car type, power band, and of course driving style, there is no one dominant strategy except, if you are running an open wheel you should probably run BFGs.

Only the weather portion of this applies to the rally stages.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>Expect them to be softer, potentially sandy, at the Hartzel
>Memorial Hill climb, held on potentially one of the rally
>roads certainly had a surface consistency that favored a more
>sand like tread and awd.

Thank you.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I did the Hartsel hill climb last September. I wouldn't be surprised if the rally uses that segment for at least one stage. It is a soft, flour like dirt with large hidden rocks and some real rough corners. Awesome road. Locating the Hartsel area on the map below you can see that there are quite a few diffent ages distributed throughout the area. The hill climb was south of town and could have been any of the four different deposit types. I know the area has been utilized for years for hill climb car testing before Pike's Peak. Probably will be similar to many other dirt rally events. I'll post some pics or video from the incar of the Hartsel hill climb in the next few days.

http://sangres.com/mountains/geomaps/images/frontrangegeomap02.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
>Thanks.
>
>Are the roads a solid or dashed line in the DeLorme Colorado
>map book? :)

these roads may not be on a map this area. the roads are all on private land (from what I understand) this area was going to be a housing development that never got going. the roads are very soft due to the lack of traffic but are pretty smooth. they can be very dusty or very muddy depending on the weather. i dont think they will be to rough for the rally but the road we used for the hill climb did rut up pretty bad, but there were 800 horspower 2wd hill climb cars chewing the road up. the roads are real interesting because it is layed out like a niegborhood, each road intersects at 90 degrees.so if this is the same area as we use for the hill climb it should be really good for a rally. but car set up might be a pain as pikes peak is very smooth and hard packed go for a tarmac style setup were these roads will be more like a rally setup.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Jason,

You should get Todd to post his incar from Hartzel when he lost his brakes and yanked the handbrake on the practice run.

Later,

Aaron McConnell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts