Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so back at Idaho in 2009 we asked if the organizers would add extra time after the final FTC for me to conduct interviews. There response was that it was 10 minutes for .5 mile so there'd be plenty of time to interview. We did so at the MTC in and it worked well.

At Ojibwe I tried the same thing but it was dark outside and many we running late or the MTC was a bit of a cluster so drivers were rushed in interviews as they were trying to check in and figure out where they were supposed to be going from there.

Oregon we ended up just doing most at the end of the day and not at any control. Though there it's harder to show car and driver together and something harder to even find the driver or get a few minutes to chat.

NEFR we were stuck in stage while three teams that were battling to the finish were stopping after the FTC and waiting for the cars behind them (can you say huge missed opportunity on my part?) so they could check times to determine who had won.

LSPR I went to the FTC but drivers were distracted by time cards. A few didn't even look my direction to realize there was a person with a camera and mic trying to get their attention.

Ideally in my mind would be to mimic the WRC and others. After the time card is handed back the car pulls forward and has a minute or two of free time to talk with press. Almost like a second control but is beyond the FTC so it is not slowing up traffic. Something that is in the supps and/or info board so that competitiors will not be caught by surprise by some guy holding a mic in front of their face or just blow right through and by assuming it's just some spectators. This is only for the final FTC for each day of the rally. 3-5 minutes would be ideal so that if there is a close race and the cars are in order there is time for them to see who wins and maybe catch some of that excitement (which as far as I know is never been caught on video in the US.)

Any ideas?

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
If you do this for all cars (not just the front runners), how about adding an actual regrouping control in there?

Yes, you will need some more signs, more lines on the score cards, and more workers..............

(And you lengthen the event)

Alex (Gelsomino) - how does WRC do it?

press on,

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem there would be fluidity. Making it an official control would mean potentially blocking the road with cars. It's more of, there is an extra five minutes during the final transit. There may be press after the FTC that desire an interview and this time is allotted to allow media access to competitors. It is optional.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I love the idea! too bad i went AWD and won't be eligible for any awesome max attack interviews :(

still an epic idea.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
For MA, just make it a required component of the Max Attack entry, as cars come into the MTC, and before they're released.

MA has to become a bit more than a sticker on the car, and then a video to ooogle over after the event is over if it's going to sustain itself.

·
Cheddarwagen Pilot
1,805 Posts
I like the idea, but it needs to be in the route book (or a bulletin that we can write into the route book), or we'll never remember to stop.

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Wow, this seems easy to handle. It takes one extra checkpoint sign, that you give to Grant. Team gets to the MTC, hands over their time card, asks for their time, gets it written on their card. The volunteer gives the time card back to the rally team and says "Ok, I've recorded your time. Pull up to the next sign to hand in your card".

Grant is at the next sign. He takes the card from the driver side and does the interview, or, if it's AWD, just takes the time card and puts it in the box (or clipboard or whatever).

That's how I would do it.

Anders

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah Anders, except I want to be at the FTC not MTC! I want a driver that's still got that adrenaline flowing.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Yeah Anders, except I want to be at the FTC not MTC! I want a driver that's still got that adrenaline flowing.
Are you sure that's where you want to be?

The Canadian Rally Championship crew usually has cameras at the end of the last stage and that footage rarely makes the cut. Great in theory, but my own experience is that it is rarely where the 'celebration' happens.

Particularly when running a skeleton crew, committing resources to a 'low percentage' spot is probably not what you want to do.

·
2,835 Posts
Ahh, ok. Well, that's trickier. ;)

In that case, get a big vinyl banner that says "Driver Interviews Here!" and just stand in the middle of the road 500 feet down from the FTC. :D

Anders

·
Registered
685 Posts
I want to be at the FTC not MTC! I want a driver that's still got that adrenaline flowing.
At the FTC the driver is still excited believing he'll be on the podium.

Waiting until after the MTC, where the codriver checks them in 5 minutes too early :(, you might get a completely different story.

d'oh!

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
At the FTC the driver is still excited believing he'll be on the podium.
Great in theory, not in practice. The only time you'll see real excitement at the final finish is when there's a really really tight gap between positions. Even then you'll get a 'I think we've won style of response.
The jubilation you see at the end of WRC events, and the like, comes when the teams have up to date split times and can be realtively sure of the results or they have waited for the other car to cross the finish as well. The best jubo is likely gotten from a crew facing bullet cam in the cars.

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Any ideas?
An observation control, maybe.

You don't have to have the exact location in the route book(that's part of the point of a normal O-control, actually). Just make sure you've got the proper control boards up, and maybe put a note in the supps that O-controls will be used so teams are ready for it.

The timing could be handled the same as a normal O-control; it's just that instead of getting the teams to demonstrate that some component of the car is legal (or whatever), you'd use the time to interview them.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great in theory, not in practice. The only time you'll see real excitement at the final finish is when there's a really really tight gap between positions. Even then you'll get a 'I think we've won style of response.
The jubilation you see at the end of WRC events, and the like, comes when the teams have up to date split times and can be realtively sure of the results or they have waited for the other car to cross the finish as well. The best jubo is likely gotten from a crew facing bullet cam in the cars.
Yep. And events like NEFR where Eric, Josh, and Chris were all waiting at the final control so they can compare times would be exactly the situation I want to capture.
When it's unknown to the crews that there will be someone at the FTC and that they have a set time to do the transit, producing a decent interview is unlikely. Anyhow, just thoughts for the future.
Side note: Can you always declare final MTC time if you are early or do some events penalize for early arrival at final control?

·
2,835 Posts
Side note: Can you always declare final MTC time if you are early or do some events penalize for early arrival at final control?
It's not a given that the last control is a MTC. It has to be specified as such, generally in the supps, or at least the schedule. If it is, then it falls under that behavior.

Anders

·
Registered
685 Posts
Can you always declare final MTC time if you are early or do some events penalize for early arrival at final control?
If it is identified as an MTC then you can arrive early and ask for your proper time in (as long as that time has not already passed).

Of course if you're stupid and ask for the wrong time, like me at NEFR last year :cool:, the control marshal will happily note the time you ask for and the scoring folks will be delighted to penalize you accordingly...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Someone asked how WRC does it

First of all they are using FIA timing which when properly implemented provides ample transit time, so there is usually not a problem getting the quick word or two out of the front runners while they are still sweaty and amped up, but you will notice they usually don't get much more than one or two quick questions of anyone in that situation. In Mexico the big press crush with more lengthy interviews takes place just prior to service, where there is always a regroup control.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts