Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Too cool! The movie (which I believe I checked out from the SCCA and showed at a NEOkla Region meeting in the mid-70s) illustrates much of what has been previously discussed in this historic conference. Thanks to a 510 leaping into an Alma mud hole there's a great shot of how well those front mud flaps worked. There are Halda drive cables connected to undriven wheels all over the place. Codrivers who actually had to drive! There is evidence of some trunk-mounted navvie handles. There are precious few roads taken in any of the top gears especially BGDR, a stage I got several passes over in the 80s as sweep one year and in the first rally I did in a FWD car the next year. And even the Boyce/Woods success there - a 24 MINUTE margin thanks to 33 stage wins (how many rallys these days would it take for someone to equal either of those accomplishments?!?). And, of course, more miles and stages in the first 24 hours (628 and 26 respectively) than most most modern rallies offer in an entire event.

And even some things of interest we haven't talked much about, like the Subarus that were rallying even back then. And you have to wonder what the latest group of Belle Isle open wheel racers think of the way the "race track" looked 35 years ago! Anf finally, John Buffum running "A strong sixth." :eek:

I know it was a different world 35 years ago, but those of us who were fortunate enough to experience rallying in that era can't help but cherish the memories. Rallying is such a different animal now ...

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
So how the hell did you manage to remember that grommet issue after all these years?
Ya know, when I read his post I was contemplating just what interesting tidbits stick in your head over the decades! Ya'all don't EVEN want to know what's rattling around in mine, but I am comforted to know others suffer the same malady!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts