Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Thanks for finding that, it had been a long time since I had seen it. My wife and I made it through 2 and a half nights before the electrics finally gave up and we dnf'ed. Managed to patch it back together to get it to Alma and they let us run the final special stage. Great times.

You have to love the announcer saying at 2:30 AM on Sunday (about two-thirds of the way through the third night) "there's only 265 miles to go"!

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
I would have to haul out my '73 book to be sure, but I believe Fishlab, Avery Lake, Camp 24-25, and East Fish Lake were all used in 1973.
Fishlab or East Fish Lake: no
Avery Lake was called "SAAB"
then a short one called "Townsend Pit" just west of Avery Lake
then "Camp 24-25"
then west to "Camp 8" on County Road 620
then into Gaylord before returning for "Camp 30"
then up north to "C C C Road" on Canada Creek Hwy
then "Peltz Road" and "Plains Hwy" on the way to the Mac bridge.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Foghorn, I was at John's Total in Grayling when you came in with the electric gremlins. Remember to gromet all the firewall wire pass throughs, right?
Yeah, LOL, 35 years later it is kind of funny I made such a dumbass mistake in some last minute car prep of deciding to add an ammeter. Given the nature of the stages back then it's probably amazing that it lasted through the 2 and a half nights. I'm pretty sure we were the last dnf of the event. The other major car problem we had was that something went kablooie in the carburetor soon after the start and the car ran rich and fouled plugs for the whole rally. No problem, gave the service crew twenty bucks and had them buy spark plugs. You could buy a lot of spark plugs for $20 in 1973. We changed them at every service. Oh, and Total was providing free gas for competitors too so fuel mileage wasn't an issue.

So how the hell did you manage to remember that grommet issue after all these years?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.