Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still having problems getting a new helmet.

My current helmet is an 8 1/4 SA95 Bell Mag 5. Bell have discontinued the large sized Mag 5's, and apparently don't even have the moulds anymore.

The Bell M3 Extra 8 1/4 fits my head, but is a full face and the chin bar touches my chin if I move my mouth, a very tight fit (remember the intercom mic has to fit in there too). The 8 1/2 has enough chin clearance but it is too loose on my head. Also, I have discovered full face helmets cause my glasses to fog, though Bell does sell a "breath deflector", but I am not sure if it adds time to don/doff helmet and also restricts airflow (by definition). Size 8 is too small.

GForce make an interesting looking hybrid open/closed face in XXL (which looks right on the limit for sizing), but they are on backorder with Summit until 2/15. Anyone got one? Opinions?

None of the Peltors fit.
Largest Arai GP-5W doesn't fit.

I'm still dealing a bit with the choice between open and full face.

Mike Hurst mentioned the Simpsons run a bit small.

GForce make a 750 open face in XXL (size 7 7/8 - 8).
Pyrotect makes an open face in XXL (size 7 7/8 - 8).

Both of these look right on the upper limit for me per their size charts. Also the issue that when you drive you sometimes get hot, which causes your head to swell - doesn't make me feel great about a size 8 helmet.

Anyone with a fat head like me got any other ideas?

(yes, I got a haircut)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
heymagic said:
Put a pad set in the 8 1/2 Bell ??
Yeah Gene, we thought of that - not sure where to buy helmet pads. The Arai ones are clip in, and Bell don't make any --- I assume you still need to get something fire resistant. Anyone know of any generic helmet pads? I'd need a fairly thin set.

Still has the glasses fogging up issue. I was really surprised, I guess the last time I wore a full face helmet I didn't have glasses (1982?) Yes, I had the visor fully open.

Another option is to get a spoon or something and compress the very thin foam in front of the chin of the 8 1/4, but that may defeat the purpose of wearing a helmet in the first place.

I also have to think the first stage road you hit, that the movement of the helmet is going to hit your chin if you don't have sufficient clearance.

Has anyone used a "breath deflector" in their helmet?

I feel a little self conscious about this --- but I guess a helmet has to fit correctly to be safe, and my glasses fogging up half mile down the first stage is not safe either.

I also can't believe there aren't other people with big heads and glasses with the same issues. OTOH, 8 1/4 is a *really* big head.

Glenn

PS I checked the Snell certification list:
http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_SA2005.html

Other than what I listed above, Simpson do list some 8 1/8 sizes (Mike Hurst says he doesn't fit in them), but not in open face.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I think we have a couple sets of new pads in the closet, they came with our helmets last year, I'd be happy to donate them to the cause.

Gene McCullough
DooWop Chief Scrutineer

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heymagic said:
I think we have a couple sets of new pads in the closet, they came with our helmets last year, I'd be happy to donate them to the cause.
Cool, thanks Gene.

I called GForce, they really didn't think any of their helmets would fit. I think the 750 is worth a shot though; if not then the 8 1/2 Bell padded out, and with a breath deflector is probably the next best bet.

This seems more complicated than it should be. 10 years ago I just went out and grabbed a helmet that fit, wasn't a big deal.

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
Glenn Wallace said:
GForce make an interesting looking hybrid open/closed face in XXL (which looks right on the limit for sizing), but they are on backorder with Summit until 2/15. Anyone got one? Opinions?
Love mine. I've got a pretty darn big head and I wear only an XL, so they might run a bit large. The chin bar is much farther from the mouth than a typical full face, and the wide eyeport is more like an open face too, with great visibility.

racerwholesale.com is where I got mine.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark Holden said:
Love mine. I've got a pretty darn big head and I wear only an XL, so they might run a bit large. The chin bar is much farther from the mouth than a typical full face, and the wide eyeport is more like an open face too, with great visibility.

racerwholesale.com is where I got mine.
I wound up ordering a 750 from Summit, with the Bell M3 on back burner locally. Summit is so nice with the free shipping and nonrefundable 10.95 "handling charge".

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
My dad has a pretty huge melon. He tried various helmets but could never find one that fit well. When we went to UK he tried on several at Demon Tweeks and found that the OMP rally helmet fit his ginormous noggin well and he bought it.

Not sure how one would try it on before buying here in the states, tho.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the Bell's didn't work out, too many issues with full face/chin/glasses.

The G-Force 750 XXL just barely fits (very tight on cheeks), but it should stretch a little being open face.

I was just in the Uk but didn't have time to run out to Demon Tweeks to try OMP....

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do a lot of bike racing and car ...And one thing people do not know .. You say a big head ... Big as in a round head ...or big as in front to back... A lot of peoples heads are bigger front to back then ..Side to side ... If you have a old ball cap you like ...Look at it ... My head is way bigger front to back .. Its not even close to being round ... So I have to were Arai do to them being the only maker that makes helmets that are "not" round ... If I try a Bell or some other .. I need a XL helmet... And over the years I have bot a lot of helmets ..In the last fifteen years its been a Arai helmets do to my egg shaped head...

Have a good day

David

Hazardous Toys inc

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm still having problems getting a new helmet.

My current helmet is an 8 1/4 SA95 Bell Mag 5. Bell have discontinued the large sized Mag 5's, and apparently don't even have the moulds anymore.

The Bell M3 Extra 8 1/4 fits my head, but is a full face and the chin bar touches my chin if I move my mouth, a very tight fit (remember the intercom mic has to fit in there too). The 8 1/2 has enough chin clearance but it is too loose on my head. Also, I have discovered full face helmets cause my glasses to fog, though Bell does sell a "breath deflector", but I am not sure if it adds time to don/doff helmet and also restricts airflow (by definition). Size 8 is too small.

None of the Peltors fit.
Largest Arai GP-5W doesn't fit.

I'm still dealing a bit with the choice between open and full face.

Mike Hurst mentioned the Simpsons run a bit small.

GForce make a 750 open face in XXL (size 7 7/8 - 8).
Pyrotect makes an open face in XXL (size 7 7/8 - 8).

Both of these look right on the upper limit for me per their size charts. Also the issue that when you drive you sometimes get hot, which causes your head to swell - doesn't make me feel great about a size 8 helmet.

Anyone with a fat head like me got any other ideas?

(yes, I got a haircut)
I know this is a really old post, but I saw your thread while looking for a helmet for my boyfriend who has a xxxxl+ head (I'm think he'd be a size 9 hat, for reference). The only option seems to be custom orders. Anyway, in my deep dive searching I came across Arai Americas. It looks like they make custom fit motorcycle helmets. I hope that can help you.

And on the off-chance that you need a bicycle helmet, there are custom 3D printed helmets available through Hexr and Kav websites.

Good luck, safe riding and protect that noggin!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts