Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to put together a proposal for sponsers for the '06 season and am wondering if anyone has any fan demographic info I could snag to entice sponsers. Links, articals, spreadsheets, anything...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think Matt is correct that there is nothing official -- but think about it a little differently:

RA has a target audience (it should probably be published so everyone can talk from the same page).

Take it a step further -- Rally is published on a fairly regular basis in a fairly consistent set of publications. Start to use the demographic profiles of the magazines that you have (permission to use).

Instead of commissioning a study to document the current fan base we can

1) agree to a demographic and then
2) show that we get exposure to that demographic through the articles already published

Important: the target audience needs to be designed with potential sponsors in mind - who do they want to talk to? (this does not mean we need to talior it to one type of marketer, or twist it to fit them all, it just means we highlight what works best for the particular sponsor).

After we agree and publish the demographic target we can work on the attidudinal or psychographic targets.

Other items that would be helpful from the sanctioning bodies would be a product positioning and even a the creative brief that guides the TV Show, posters, print ads, and PR.

You'll also want to be sure you know the potential sponsrs product positioning so you can speak the same language - you don't need to guess about these things, once your in the door the information is a conversation away.

Good Luck!

Mike

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
>Is there a way to count the number of spectator maps sold at
>events?

Sold?

If that info was tracked, I dont think you would want to mention it to any potential sponsors. 2,000 people? TOPS?

Who are these people? How old are they? How much $$$ do they make? Do they have fast internet access?

Without that info, it doesnt really matter. Corporates dont want warm fuzzies. They want hard solid demographic information.

Plus, if you start talking about live spectators to your potential sponsors. They might take some initiative and show up at an event to check things out, and then, man, your done for.

Look at the ISC factbook. It is the new hotness.

http://www.wrc.com/staticFiles/ef/7/0,,10111~2031,00.pdf

They publish a mid-year factbook as well, and a JWRC, and a PWRC and so on and so forth.

Then you can say.. Hey company, I want your money, and company can look, and research and say "Hey, thats a good deal, about half the cost of a TV commercial and more targeted".

You cant do that in the USA right now. (Or Canada)

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
How many car shows are you going to take the car to? State fair of Texas has one. More people see the car in one day there than in a year of rallying.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>I think Matt is correct that there is nothing official -- but
>think about it a little differently:
>
>RA has a target audience (it should probably be published so
>everyone can talk from the same page).

I assume everyone has seen this:

http://www.rally-america.com/pdf/sponsorship.pdf

No hard demographic information, but definitely worth a review, to ensure that you've got common talking points with Rally America.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
789 Posts
If Speed TV could be approached, they may be willing to drop some info about their WRC broadcasts, which may give a fair idea as to stateside rally demographics.

They all use Arbitron, etc., so it is a place to start.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
IMHO, using demographics for a different program of which you have no part of whatsoever, on a different channel, at a different time is less than appropriate.

Any sponsor that is serious serious is going to do their own research anyway, and find out your "misguiding" them, and then be pissed. Then they tell their corporate buddies at the golf outing, and so on and so forth, and then NONE of us can work with those companies.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts