Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My driver bought a set of Falken rally tires this year. We ran them at the Headwaters Club rally and really liked them. This past weekend at the Shooting Star Club rally (which was a blast by the way) we blew one on stage 1, 2/3 of the way throug the 25 mile stage. A friend of ours seemed to have the exact same thing happen to him at the above mentioned Headwaters rally. Both tires were new.

Are other people experiencing the same failure?

**EDIT**
I am not blasting Falkens what so ever. I just read what I wrote and wanted to make that clear. They seem like great tires, and we have finished better on them this year than we ever have, and we're pushing twice as hard.

The surfaces at both races are farily smooth. The roads are packed dirt / gravel with some larger (softball) sized rocks both packed into and loose on top of the road. The tire went on a rougher two-track part of the stage.

http://www.section8rally.com/Karl holding tire.jpg

·
Registered
374 Posts
Don't know the surface at Head Waters but the Rim of the World rally here in California has been compared to Cyprus or Acropolis in the manner of rock content.

We ran on Falkens and had no punctures or separations. Last years Gorman rally which uses some of Rim's roads we lost two Michelins within three of the final stages. I'm not downing Michelin, they also make a good tire. That is just the nature of rally, you never know what you run over out there. Just look what happened to Timo this weekend! A metal rod through the car and through the seat into his er...um...leg.x(

Jim

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I used Falkens at the Seed 9 RallySprint which had sections that made RIM look like a tarmac rally, good traction, good durability, I managed to wedge a rock between the wheel and a caliper and broke the wheel, drove on deflated tire for about a mile, to my surprise the tire didn't get damaged at all even though it was on the "heavier" codriver's side :p :p :p .

So I was pleased with the Falkens.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ted:

I got to thinking about your flat. What were you running for air pressure? Perhaps it was too high or too low?

I have been told by a reliable source that Michelins should be run in the 28-30 psi range (yes, it's a tight range). Maybe the Falkens have a "sweet spot" too.

We ran the Falkens at HW and had no issues. We ran 28 psi up front and 25 psi in the rear.

Again this is all speculation and I don't claim to know anything. Just giving you another avenue to look at.

-Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Personally, I think you maybe suffering some subliminable syndrome of modern living. Just because you had a couple of misfortunate incidents with an unfortunate brandname, it is etched in your mind that it has to be the product.

How many times in rallying have you heard someone blame the Falken turbo, or the Falken Stage notes or the Falken Electrics or the Falken Waterpump or Falken Fuel Pump and poor old Falken don't even make those lines of products!!!!!!

Personally, I've never had a problem with my Falken Tyres, and they are a very popular brand on this side of the Pacific. Perhaps they are just upset you changed the spelling of them!!!!

With Tongue in cheek Regards,

Don

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Don,

I missed the humor in the previous post, and apologize for flaming. I was dealing with one of my Falken customers and was a little frustrated.

I read the post out loud as Foghorn suggested, but didn't check the hallway first. Just as I read it, my boss walked by my office. He stopped and asked me what I said. I then had to explain why I was on a racing website while at work. Oops.

·
Registered
149 Posts
*****"How many times in rallying have you heard someone blame the Falken turbo, or the Falken Stage notes or the Falken Electrics or the Falken Waterpump or Falken Fuel Pump and poor old Falken don't even make those lines of products!!!!!!"****

HAHAHAHA!!!!! THAT WAS JUST TOOOOOO FUNNY I am still wiping the tears from my "Falken" eyes :7 :7 :+ :p

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
>The reason I
>lost the tire at HW is the fact that it came in contact with
>a rock about the size of a human head at a pretty high rate
>of speed.

Ted,

You guys probably didn't have time to see them at speed at Shooting Star, but there were a few such rocks hiding out on Stage 1/3 in the middle section, which is where you had the issue. I saw at least one rather large rock on the inside of a right turn (for 1, or left for 3) in addition to the one that was called out in the routebook. And there were lots and lots of smaller ones with sharp, pointy bits.

I had to pick a very interesting line through those parts with my lo-pro street tires, even at bannering speeds.

-Mark Holden

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>Ted, I am assuming you were talking about Brady and I when
>you mentioned the blown tire at Headwaters. The reason I
>lost the tire at HW is the fact that it came in contact with
>a rock about the size of a human head at a pretty high rate
>of speed.
>
>http://www.endurancerallysport.com/photos/2004hw/023_23.JPG
>
>www.endurancerallysport.com

The picture of Dave really shows the desperation he was feeling. I was sniffing around his tires and thought I would play a trick on the Hungarian yooper. I hollered, "Holy WAAAH, Dave I think there's a hot pasty inside your old tire. I can TOTALLY smell it!!" It was a mean trick to play.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I didn't see it as I was looking down most of the time. Karl was BLASTING down those roads and he was drifting every corner pretty hard. We're pushing tuese tires 3x harder than we pushed our other ones, and our times are showing it. When I was talking with Dave Sterling about this whole deal last night, I said something to the effect that "...it was most likely a corner or situation where ANY tire would have gone, who knows...." We dented 3 rims during this event. If you check out the front tire in the background of the 1st pic, you will see one that probably should have blown out. :D

We love the Falkens. Even as a Co-driver, I can feel them cut into the road more, it's great. They have a lot to do with the improvement in our stage time over last year.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Ted,

Go back and read Don's post again, but read it out loud this time. Just be careful if you're doing it in your cubicle at work. You asked a real question but got a funny reply and I think you might be missing the humor there. ;)

Kent Gardam

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
Did Falken buy Lucas? ;-)

Sounds like it.

You'd think the company'd now be called Falken-Lucas. And you could talk about their products w/out getting into trouble.

Falken-Lucas Electrics...Falken-Lucas Waterpump...Falken-Lucas Fuel Pump...

:p

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
I love my Falken street tires

Can't speak to their rally tires, but I am still enjoying the grip and control of my Falken street tires. When I first bought them I thought they were a bit squirmy, but now I think it was because of the Pirelli rocks I had fitted to the stock wheels before. Car: 1996 VW Jetta, 100,000+ miles.

When Donna's '97 VW Jetta comes due for new rubber, you can bet I'll be buying her a set of Falkens too.

By the way, I never would have thought about Falken if it hadn't been for their support of the Ramada Express Int'l Rally. Imagine my delight at seeing them last year at Pikes Peak as well.

Leon likes Falken too, I think! http://www.widgetracing.com/images/ppihc/04/tn/pp04_jd_falken_0166_tn.jpg

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RE: I love my Falken street tires

Even Consumer Reports likes Falken tires. In their comparison of performance all-weather radials last year (11/03) the Falken was the top rated tire (and the least expensive).

·
Registered
154 Posts

Dave Coleman runs Falkens in his Nissan Sentra Ser.
We ran Falkens for the last two years.
RIM, Gorman and Ramada and not one problem.
-Amar

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Where do you buy Falkin rally tires?

Price for say 14x16-15" or in other terms 185, 65, 15" or there about

Derek

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.