Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about European-style rallycross as an alternative to compete with drifting for the attention/dollars of stadium crowds?

These guys are already doing something similar in the US, but for off-road trucks and buggies: http://www.corracing.com/

Or if not them, how about the dirt oval racers?
http://www.imca.com/

There are dozens of oval racing sanctioning bodies listed here:
http://oval.race-cars.com/utility/organizr.htm

What are the chances they'd say yes if some rally promoter/organizer approached them about sanctioning a new class using compact/rally cars? And maybe throw in some alphalt to keep with the rallycross tradition? Or maybe just sanction/insure a separate series just for European Rallycross?

Also, if there are so many oval racing sanctioning bodies, even local/regional ones, maybe it's not that difficult to start a new sanctioning body and get insurance for that kind of racing? Who knows?

Could such a series also serve as a place for people that have rally cars but can't afford to rally very often to come out and have some cheap(er) fun?

What's that saying, "If you build it they will come"?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
how about something like the all japan dirt trials?

essentially it is US rally cross in rally cars but w/80+ top speeds.

GRM and SCC did a spot on it a couple months ago.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Folks, nice idea but who has way rad nasty cars that they are going bang into other way rad nasty cars.
Again this is something that, like the current group of cars in the top whatever, might very well be loads of fun to do, but possibly not very exciting to watch AT OUR CURRENT PREP AND DRIVING LEVELs.

Also cars don't like bumps very much and they don't look very exciting when the are bobbing and porpoising around in corners when there are little bumps and they are hit while sideways.

Bear in mind also that the appearance of speed diminishes eith distance, and if many here already concede that the action is fairly lukewarm to watch even for rabid fans now, it had better be pretty damn SPAZ-TACULAR to appear exciting from Grandstands, or bleachers.

Or we may just have the opposite effect and embarrasss ourselves.

This is a proposal again that is at the HIGH end of the expenditure scale, and as an mere exhibition thing, who is going to risk smashing their shiney things into other shiney things, unless they don't really care about the costs.

Now something like the Scandinavian Folk-race might be more do-able.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good points John, but would the bump and grind of rallycross be cheaper to repair than rally crash damage?

Also aren't folk races basically the same thing as european rallycross? I don't know a lot about them. Just seen some pictures and comments here and there.

Scott: Nice to hear you guys are working on something!

·
Trogdor
915 Posts
>
>Folks, nice idea but who has way rad nasty cars that they
>are going bang into other way rad nasty cars.
>Again this is something that, like the current group of cars
>in the top whatever, might very well be loads of fun to do,
>but possibly not very exciting to watch AT OUR CURRENT PREP
>AND DRIVING LEVELs.
>
>Also cars don't like bumps very much and they don't look
>very exciting when the are bobbing and porpoising around in
>corners when there are little bumps and they are hit while
>sideways.
>
>Bear in mind also that the appearance of speed diminishes
>eith distance, and if many here already concede that the
>action is fairly lukewarm to watch even for rabid fans now,
>it had better be pretty damn SPAZ-TACULAR to appear exciting
>from Grandstands, or bleachers.
>

So, if I read you right, a better alternative would be a tighter course, so spectators don't need to dig out their binoculars, and the driving becomes more "spectacular" as they say, and run the cars one at a time to keep the costs down, that whole safety issue again.

I believe we have that already... :)

Speaking of which, I should thank you. Your posts in the Car Construction section detailing how the suspension and brakes *should* be set up have shown me how to turn a pig of a car into something that works like a dream on dirt. I spent next to no money doing it, too! (Granted I wouldn't want to run a stage rally with those weeny strut shafts and the like...)

·
Registered
26 Posts
We used to run the rally cars at a short course (glen helen) in southern California. I think everyone that participated had a blast. There was however a lot of destruction to the cars. (ask Lon Peterson) I also think the fans enjoyed it as well.

·
L3> over crest, drops!
647 Posts
It's a great idea, and would also work well as a feeder series.

Also, considering the probablility of banging up the car, most people wouldn't be prepping STi's or Evos for that sort of thing. The cheaper the better for banging around. Most would probably be 2wd's too. Would be very entertaining..

Let's get it rolling, we want to set up a venue for that up here too.:)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If I were banging door to door with folks, I would want the rules to allow tube frame cars with fiberglass panels that quickly fasten with Dzus fasteners. Unibody cars take too long to prepare and repair to be crunched every race with 20 other guys. I'd build it like a CORR truck so a damaged portion could be cut out and replaced easily and then a new skin snapped on.

Of course, my next thought was why bother when such a great series (CORR) already exists (with support, sponsors, TV, etc.)? What's the point in starting something from scratch?

I WILL race a CORR truck before I'm dead.

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
re: Banging up shiny rally cars a la offroad truck racing...

Those trucks are set up with basically throwaway bodywork over a tube frame chassis. They are designed from the ground up to smack into each other more or less harmlessly and keep the fans rabidly coming back for more.

Here in New England we have a thriving rallycross series. I run most of the events, and it's been a blast. There are virtually NO spectators but there should be, especially if there were more than just one car at a time on the course and people could see some "real racin."

So who sells el cheapo fiberglass body panels for SubaMitsuGolfs? (business opportunity, hint hint.) Afraid of banging up your rally car? Well, just look at the attrition from LSPR or Maine Forest or any other North American rally--half the field ends up looking like they just finished a elbow-to-elbow truck race anyway.

Granted, our North American style rally cars as set up now would NOT like the truck courses (big sharp crests specifically), but I've often thought that rally car exhibitions at circle- and/or offroad tracks could be a real attention-getter.

We've exhibited our Last Ditch team cars at motorsports expos, and it's quite amazing the level of attention the rally cars and drivers draw from the circle-track crowd. By not tapping into this universe, US rally organizers and promoters are missing a big opportunity to expand their horizons .

Stadium rallycross also fits the time-tested American motorsports business model of single-venue events where you pull in a crowd and charge 'em real money to eat bad food while watching cars wreck each other . Why do you think there are so many circle track associations and promoters? Their business model is a real BUSINESS. If competitors get paid to race, who cares how much bodywork gets wrinkled?

So if there is any chance of this actually happening, I have only one question.... Where do I sign up?!

Dave G

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts