Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
So long & thx for all the fish
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was cleaning out the garage, sorting the last boxes from our move into this house 18 months ago, when I came across a briefcase that must have belonged to my father. I have no idea how I came into possession of this, but amongst flotsam in the briefcase was a stack of photographs. Dating from my father's time in Ethiopia as a Peace Corps volunteer (63-65) these photos included several of the 1st Ethiopian Highland Rally, headquartered in Addis Ababa. A quick google revealed some information dating back to the 8th running, as well as the most recent running last year. Most of it in Italian.

From my memory of his stories these photos were developed in the bathroom of his apartment. Car #12 was navigated by his roommate, and my dad made the door numbers with surgical tape pilfered from the first-aid kit some girl he'd just met(who would later be his wife/my mother). Typical of my father such care was taken that I can't tell from the photo that they are tape. Not that any of this is important.

I'm curious if anyone on the board is familiar with the Highland Rally, then or of a more recent vintage. Are any of the names familiar? Probably more interesting to me because of the connection to family history, but I thought I'd share with ya'll. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, my husband and I were rehashing about our days in Ethiopia and were wondering if the Ethiopian Highland Rally was still going on. After Googling it, we found your posting. My husband was a co-driver in three of the races, driving the VW 1500. He and his partner took first place in the Second Ethiopian Highland Rally, January 1966. He was with the Air Force and stationed in Addis Ababa from 1964-1968.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my husband and I were rehashing about our days in Ethiopia and were wondering if the Ethiopian Highland Rally was still going on. After Googling it, we found your posting. My husband was a co-driver in three of the races, driving the VW 1500. He and his partner took first place in the Second Ethiopian Highland Rally, January 1966. He was with the Air Force and stationed in Addis Ababa from 1964-1968.
Are you still on board?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I was cleaning out the garage, sorting the last boxes from our move into this house 18 months ago, when I came across a briefcase that must have belonged to my father. I have no idea how I came into possession of this, but amongst flotsam in the briefcase was a stack of photographs. Dating from my father's time in Ethiopia as a Peace Corps volunteer (63-65) these photos included several of the 1st Ethiopian Highland Rally, headquartered in Addis Ababa. A quick google revealed some information dating back to the 8th running, as well as the most recent running last year. Most of it in Italian.

From my memory of his stories these photos were developed in the bathroom of his apartment. Car #12 was navigated by his roommate, and my dad made the door numbers with surgical tape pilfered from the first-aid kit some girl he'd just met(who would later be his wife/my mother). Typical of my father such care was taken that I can't tell from the photo that they are tape. Not that any of this is important.

I'm curious if anyone on the board is familiar with the Highland Rally, then or of a more recent vintage. Are any of the names familiar? Probably more interesting to me because of the connection to family history, but I thought I'd share with ya'll. Enjoy.

My older brother Sewasew Tewahade was part of the Ethiopian Highland Rally, though not sure on which one (I am completely guesssing...it could be about the 10th), it was few years before the HaileSellasie's government ended. He was the "Co-driver", the lead driver's ("captain") name was Ato Bekele; They both worked for St. George Brewery - They drove Renault 16 (Number 16). I was very young at the time (probably in my 4th grade or so, could be even younger). We went to the finish line in Addis, to welcome them. They finished the race, albeit coming in last; I remember fighting tears for their coming last. Someone was explaining to me that finishing up the race was quite an accomplishment as many did not; I think there were about a dozen or or so who finished; As you can tell from my story, it is sketchy in terms of timeline, which is typical for stories during that time and the follow up chaos in the country - None to little documentation - I don't have any factual documents to show and alike - However, at the time I was truly proud of my older brother who literally gave me and his other siblings the "right to brag"; I remember the names like Mr. Singh (I believe he was from Kenya driving Fiat 125) and Mamalingas (I think it was Peugeot 504) - Granted, with all the sketchy information I provided, I would be happy to hear if anyone knows (or have any information) regarding that race and/or related stories. Jds - Thanks for posting these pictures. Though, way before my time. Just simply beautiful and pleasant story!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

This is really cool. My parents are Ethiopian. I remember my mother telling me stories about how the rally cars would zoom past her village when she was a child, so I also have a family connection to this. My name is Yoseph and I am an editor for the Sports Gazette. I am working on a story about the Ethiopian Highland Rallies. I'm wondering if I could talk to you about these pics? Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have participated in Ethiopian Highland rallies. I have info and pictures from 1965 to 1973
Please let me know if you have any pictures from around 70's; My older brother Sewasew Tewahade was a participant co-driving Renault 16, with Ato Bekele T. Both were from St. George Brewery factory - and I have no historical record to speak of. Read my brief write up below. Will appreciate it. Thx.
I have participated in Ethiopian Highland rallies. I have info and pictures from 1965 to 1973

1 - 11 of 11 Posts