Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
------------------------------------------------------------------------I'm trying to get the mighty CRX ready in time for Kananaskis. I'm just short a co-driver, rally computer, shocks, tires, an alternator, log book, beefed up suspension, and a carburator that works properly ! Aside from that... Hey, I'm almost there.
What I would like to know is what sort of things should I pack to service . Reading stories of guys rally experiences, they seem to have, readily at hand, spare transmissions, tires, shocks, windshields, rad hoses, jack stands, tarp, clutches, jack, spark plugs, etc., etc., etc.. Is there a list somewhere of a basic, generic service list... what to bring! If someone could enlighten me, or knows of a link to get me going in the right direction, I would be eternaly grateful (read lots of happy face stickers on my car).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mmmmm. Food. And wet wipes. That's my department when packing for service. Tools? Tom's department. Oh yeah, and I'm in charge of the tire gauge.

Amy Machnik
Fly GTI

·
Registered
77 Posts
Service Stuff

Well.. If you know the longest service is going to be 45 minutes, and it takes you 2 hours to change a trans, not much point in bringing a transmission!

On the other hand, things that are easy to change are a good thing to bring.

Some things that may save your butt:

Struts, already assembled and ready to go.
A arms, with the bushings and ball joints already installed.
Alternator..

In other words, any sub assembly that can be changed quickly, and has potential to put you out.

Lots of tools, and some of the special ones: Big prybar, large hammer, and a piece of chain

Spare fasteners are always handy (You know, that big tin of 'odd' bolts that you have been saving?)

Spare belts, Fluids, and brake pads, trans & motor mounts

And don't forget the lawn chairs for the crew!
An 'easyup' tent thing can be handy if weather is interesting.

And I think it's a regulation that you service on a tarp. Keeps 'hazardous waste' from getting into the ground.

Frank de Kat

·
Registered
26 Posts
RE: Service Stuff

IT all depends on time of year also (conditions)...

Do you have a generator? For impact guns, we actually use CDN tire electrical impact guns.... they work great. Work lights (evening conditions?), 2 eazy up tents (check Costco or Home depot)... 20x10 tarp, broom, shovel, jerry cans (using regular gas or race fuel), air compressor or air tank, tire pressure gauge, jack (or 2 jacks), jack stands, plywood for the jack stands (1'x1' or a bit bigger depend on the jack stand, 2 sheets of plywood (2'x4') to support the jack...

You'll be surprised that half the time your not on a paved lot for servicing (field, gravel, etc..)

Fluids..... brake, rad, engine, oil, brake cleaner, etc..

What else? there's always more....

Robin
http://www.musketeerracing.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts