Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why doesn't anyone haul enclosed trailers? I've heard a few arguments, including that the service areas don't have enough room. It seems that although they would take up more room than an open trailer, they could double as a shade (with an awning) and workshop. Also, they make a damn fine motel room, especially if you add A/C and a TV....Since I will never be able to have a box truck and don't want a large van, I was thinking about looking into them.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
If you ever took it on stage to retrieve the car, it wouldn't fit on the roads and it'd pop all the rivets and wear it out quick. Once there, it's a pain to yank the car in if the cars' really screwed up.
I like not having all the Semis like in road racing.
rz

·
Registered
232 Posts
Another advantage of open trailers is that people can actually see the car. In fact a case could be made that more people see the car going to and from a rally than actually see it at the rally. Therefore a sponsor gets his name if front of more eyeballs on an open trailer traveling at speeds where the writing can actually be read. This advantage would be nullified if you stickered up the closed trailer but it is not as interesting as seeing the actual car.

Steve McKelvie

·
Registered
901 Posts
We've got both an open trailer and an enclosed one. There are arguments in favor of both, but as far as the enclosed one goes...

Yes, it's great to have in service when the weather is crappy; ask anyone who was at Rim 03, during the Friday night service we had a little space heater set up in the open doorway, some chairs, some food on a little table... it was the place to be out of all that rain and wind.

Our trailer is all decaled up to match both the truck and the car, it definitely enhances the "professional" image. I think Rally-America had a shot of our truck and car at Pikes Peak, it looked real slick.

However, nothing beats an open trailer for getting your car (or someone else's car) out of the woods. I think our open trailer has been used like this for more people outside of our team than for our team itself. Of course, when you go lending like this, you gotta make sure they know what they want done with their car after you haul it off the stage; too often, when you need your trailer after an episode like that, someone's car is still on it. Very frustrating.

Of course, the answer to THAT is to not be so nice.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
We had to haul our rally buggy out of the woods at Rally TN this year after snapping a spindle. NO way we would have ever gotten anything but our stubby open trailer back on that particular stretch of road; forget an enclosed trailer in that case. (The service truck filled the whole road in spots.)

The only disadvatage of an open trailer is on very long, fatiguing tows. When very tired, I have caught myself more than once casually spotting the rally car on the trailer in the rear view mirror..... and getting PO'd at 'the idiot in car tailgating me'!!! :7

Hmmmm, as far as having the car open for a towed display, the sport might be better off if we had an enclosed trailer...

Regards,
Mark B. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
People have forgoten to mention the obvious answer to "Why does everybody use open trailers?"

Because we can!

Our cars are water tight! wich means you can tow trhough the rain and snow and crap with a less expensive open trialer without filling the car with unwanted stuff.

Try that with a roundy round car....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good points, the car retrieval one is especially important. I think I am going to just do some upgrades to the open trailer for now and see how it works. My truck probably wouldn't pull a big enclosed trailer very well anyway....

The main thing that caused my interest was the trailer I was in a few weeks ago. Moto-x guy I met had a 28' Haulmark decked out as his hauler/workshop/motel room. This thing was awesome, had A/C, generator, pressure washer with drums for water supply (all plumbed into the trailer), TV/VCR....you name it, it was in there. He was looking at adding DirecTV with one of the RV dishes :D

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
An enclosed trailer will usually have all your tools in it. And that works out pretty well until you go to a rally where they don't allow trailers in the service area. Then it's all a mish-mash to put your tools in the back of a truck or something.

The expense of an closed trailer is much higher.

The aerodynamics of a enclosed trailer are much worse. Pulling that brick through the wind will certainly reduce your gas milage.

The use of an enclosed trailer as a work space is deceptive, because you can't work on the _car_ in there, as there's no room on the sides. Can't get to the tires/wheels.

Anders

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
> Moto-x guy I met had a 28' Haulmark
>decked out as his hauler/workshop/motel room. This thing
>was awesome, had A/C, generator, pressure washer with drums
>for water supply (all plumbed into the trailer),
>TV/VCR....you name it, it was in there.

Look in the back of SportsCar, they always have some for sale. Yes, for $40,000 to $75,000 you could have one of these too! ;)

Anders

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Trailers are banned from most rally service areas. We have used an enclosed trailer for a couple seasons and have given up on it--in fact sold it last week. Even though there are usually trailer parking areas nearby the service parks, and it was a major pain to have our shop and spares in an enclosed trailer located off site.

Most teams use open trailers for the retrieval issues mentioned above.

As for shelter and a place to have tools, etc...many teams employ trusty box trucks of varous sizes depending on budget and sponsorship. Box trucks serve as mobile workshops and shelter for intrepid service crew waiting in horrible weather whlle their drivers are out beating up the rally car.

Our team runs 2 rigs--open trailers towed by pig pickups ( um, I mean BIG pickups) with tallboy bed caps. Not as convenient as a box truck, but way way cheaper. In fact, our two whole tow rigs (mid-90s F-250s and late-model open trailers) cost less than one box truck alone.

Ciao for now,

Dave G
Co-Pilote and Night-Shift Road Warrior
Last Ditch Racing

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Since I
>will never be able to have a box truck and don't want a
>large van, I was thinking about looking into them.

Why not? I bought a 93 E350 box truck off Ebay for less than 5 grand. It was in good shape, and had less than 100k miles on it. Had to put a new trans in it last year, but other than that it runs great. 351 gas motor is bulletproof and cheap/easy to fix if you need it. Gets 7mpg at 70mph towing the car. Last I checked closed trailers were running in the $5k to $10k range, plus you still need a truck to pull it.

My crew LOVES the box truck, and since they volunteer to spend their vaction in it, it's the least I can do.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right now I have absolutely nowehere to park a box truck AND a trailer. I could probably get away with the enclosed trailer, but not have yet another large vehicle in front of my house. So whatever pulls my rig has to double as a driver.

My commute is too long for me to drive a van or truck. My commuter gets 38-42 mpg :) So the wife drives our Tundra, and she made it clear she won't be driving a diesel van...LOL I can't blame her. She loves the Tundra though, and prefers driving it over our cars....

Believe me, I've seen some pretty nice trailers (like the ones in Sportscar). I cited this guys Haulmark because that is actually obtainable. This guy had everything he needed to be comfortable at a race and didn't need a 2nd mortgage to do it..

Looks like I'll keep the open trailer, have to be creative with packing our gear to get it all to the rallies...

C

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
(sorry about posting on every subject but work is kinda slow today)
Two things about service:
First: You only need to bring what you can accomplish in 20 minutes, so as long as the car leaves home in great shape, a roll of tape, a bunch of tie wraps and a big hammer are about all you need unless you have a crew that is practiced in clutch/gearbox removal.
Second: You'll only need what you left home. Which makes #1 a little bit harder to do.
rz

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Crossing CDN border with enclosed trailer has not been a pain for us. The border-guard guys usually ask us to open the trailer...seems they are curious to see a SUBARU race car. "Hunh, a subaru...how much horsepower does it got??!!"

Main thing at the border is to have your paperwork in order (licenses, passports, etc), not volunteer unasked-for information, and keep your sunglasses off. We have not had a moment's problem in some 20 crossings the last few seasons.

No doubt the open trailers we bought this year will ease the transition, tho...

Ciao for now,

Dave G
Co-Pilote and Border Crossing Smile Cheerleader
LDR

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts