Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't locate the relevant regs for when and what can be considered a Historic stage car. Can an old Production class car be modified for Gp D or does it just become an old Open class car? Is this at regional or national level? '92 Justy, to bore or not to bore?

Thanks, john

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Grp D regulations can be found on the in the rallywest rules abailable for downloiad from www.rallywest.com

Grp D is 20+ years and 2wd only and I beleive normally aspirated only as well ...

in the rules it states that GrD is designed as a low tech way rally ... and the cars that are in the class now are a testament to that ... I suspect that at some point the 20 year rule will have to go away in favor of a fixed date ...

ALSO, Grp D is only recognised in the Western Canadian Rally Championship ... in National portions you'd be fighting it out in Group 2 ...

·
Registered
397 Posts
bore it.....i think this is actually going to be changed for '05.

But....i believe the intent of the rule was you couldn't bore it out and make it a 1.5 L. but as long as the engine falls withing manufacturers specs, you are ok. SO you should be able to "over-bore".

·
Registered
510 Posts
Group D is a 20 year old Group 2 car, so you can do whatever you want to the engine, as long as it fits in the 2.4 litre limitation.

Wasn't 1984 a banner year for Rabbits/Golfs? Wasn't that when the first of the really potent GTIs started coming out? They would've been eligible this past year.

In 2005, the Toyota Corolla GTS with capability for 190hp with fuel injection and independent rear suspension and LSD is eligible. This car is considered the perfect drift car because of it's incredible balance.

In 2006, the second gen Mazda RX7 (with 146hp modifiable to 220hp, fuel injection, independent rear suspension with LSD) becomes eligible for Group D.

Group D is definitely going to be leaving the dark ages in the next few years if left as is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For the VW If 105HP (engine, not at the wheels) is considered a "potent" option then you are correct. I would think more on the "impotent" side. :)

·
Flat everywhere
341 Posts
>Group D is a 20 year old Group 2 car, so you can do whatever
>you want to the engine, as long as it fits in the 2.4 litre
>limitation.
>
>Wasn't 1984 a banner year for Rabbits/Golfs? Wasn't that when
>the first of the really potent GTIs started coming out? They
>would've been eligible this past year.
>

Dave,

you are almost right, you can do whatever you want to the motor but the block must be 1985 or older.

The rules state.

2.1.4.1.2 Engines and Induction Systems. Engines are unrestricted, but THE ENGINE BLOCK MUST BE DERIVED FROM THE PRODUCT LINE OFFERED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER IN ANY OF THE ELIGABLE MODEL YEARS. No forced induction is allowed. The generic type of induction, i.e. carburetor(s), mechanical injection or electronic injection, normally available for the engine selected must be used.

This prevents you from using a newer motor. For the VW for example the the block would have to 1985 or older. The VIN Stamped on it would have to be ---------F-000001 or older like an D or E stamp for the model year. Otherwise the car would be illegal and would have to run in Group 2.

I seems to me that this is a common misconception that you can run whatever Block you want in the car.

Colin

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
>
>The rules state.
>
>2.1.4.1.2 Engines and Induction Systems. Engines are
>unrestricted, but THE ENGINE BLOCK MUST BE DERIVED FROM THE
>PRODUCT LINE OFFERED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER IN ANY OF THE
>ELIGABLE MODEL YEARS. No forced induction is allowed. The
>generic type of induction, i.e. carburetor(s), mechanical
>injection or electronic injection, normally available for the
>engine selected must be used.

I do not read that as limiting the bock to 1985 or older as long as the same block type was offered in 1985 or before in any car the manufacture sold then.

Derek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts