Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody out there have any info whatsoever about the old El Diablo stage rally that was run out of northeast Wisconsin? The area it purportedly ran in is my stomping grounds. I'd really like to get some route info to see if the roads are still there, but any info or stories would be great. My old fart codriver had his best finish ever there, but he was too drunk/hungover to remember any of it!

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Dennis-

Some of us ran it. I still have a route book somewhere. This is the area that Dave Parps puts on a TSD and is working on a stage event (C1 this year out of Eagle River).

What exactly are you looking for?

press on,

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Dennis-
>
>Some of us ran it. I still have a route book somewhere. This
>is the area that Dave Parps puts on a TSD and is working on a
>stage event (C1 this year out of Eagle River).

I know about Dave's rally up in Eagle River, but I though that the old El Diablo was run more in the Crandon area (where they also ran the Brush Run off road race). The big differance is that Crandon is an hour from my house, Eagle River is four.

>
>What exactly are you looking for?

Anything! It was a rally in my own back yard. Like I said, I'd really like some route info to see if the roads are still there, but anything else is cool. When I go on local radio and TV shows they always ask if we race around here. Currently we don't, but it would be cool to talk about how we did. Believe it or not, people are interested in this stuff.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Dennis-

I will try and find the route book.

My recolection is that HQ was in Green Bay, but that most of the stages were closer to Eagle River. Also, that most of the roads were USFS, and that forest (Nicolet) is still there. I remember going as far north as 70 (and yes I have some local knowledge - our family cabin is west of there, so I have been on some of those roads).

That was the first event that I passed Buffum on stage (of course he was stuck on a snow bank and not moving).

press on,

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Yes - El Diablo was run out of the Eagle River area in '75 and '76. John Smisol and Dave Parps seem to be the people with the most intimate knowledge of the roads and the route.

As already pointed out - many of the same roads are used on Dave's TSD rally. I saw many of the roads firsthand when I helped service for my dad at the original PRO Rallies. Saw them again a couple of years ago when we ran the first edition of the TSD. The roads are excellent. You'd be well advised to get in touch with Dave Parps if you really want to learn more.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>Yes - El Diablo was run out of the Eagle River area in '75
>and '76. John Smisol and Dave Parps seem to be the people
>with the most intimate knowledge of the roads and the route.
>
>Scott
>www.teamharco.com
>Team Harco Motorsports
>"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

Doh! I was kinda hoping they were closer to Green Bay. Eagle River is almost as far away as Houghton.

Dennis Martin
denn[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
289 Posts
Digging through the archives I found our route book from El Diablo.
This is from the cover page:

El Diablo
Sponsored by LANCIA and WONDER MUFFLERS
Presented by
the Concours Plaines Rallye Team & Milwaukee Region, SCCA
Dec. 6/7, 1975

As for the route:
Start was at Denil Cadillac-Fiat in Green Bay, and leg one finished at the Chanticleer Inn near Eagle River. Leg two went back to Green Bay. Finish was at the Downtowner Motel.
There were 11 stages scheduled for leg one; 10 were run. Leg two had 11 as well, but only 9 were run. One, Brule Creek, was cancelled because of glare ice on a steep hill. (This was the era before ice tires, etc.)

Winners were Jim Walker/Joe Le Beau in a 142 Volvo. Second were the late Gene Henderson and codriver Ken Pogue in a CJ-7. Third was the team of Guy Light and Don Jekel in a SAAB 99. Among the DNF's were the previously mentioned John Buffum/Vicki--Porsche 911 and Scott Harvey/Wayne Zitkus--Dodge Ramcharger.

FYI: 7 of the top 10 cars were rear wheel drive. Back then, we didn't know you couldn't rally on snow and ice in a RWD vehicle!

For their efforts Walker and Le Beau won $415 for 1st overall, $145 for stage wins, and $500 in contingency money from Bilstein, Cibie, Cooper Tire & Wonder Muffler.
Their total winnings: $1060 What is that in 2005 dollars?

For ninth place (would have been sixth without the road points--the usual if only's...) G. Beckerman/D. Beckerman--SAAB 96 won $50 for best in seed, but no overall money. That stopped at eighth place.

Stages were mostly under 4-5 miles, but there was a 9 mile stage and a 14-miler northeast of Argonne and east of Hwy 55. That's sort of in the Crandon area.
Like Scott says, Dave Parps is a good source for road info in this region.

George Beckerman

·
Registered
583 Posts
>Their total winnings: $1060 What is that in 2005 dollars?

George,

June 1975 = $1,060 (US CPI = 53.6)

April 2005 = $3,848 (US CPI = 194.6)

:)

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Your normal (and again, I use that term loosely) co-driver has a fifth overall trophy from the '76 version...

In '75, our crew crashed the car while towing up (in some Chicago Suburb....broke off the hitch and center punched a bridge abuttment), so Smiskol volunteered me and Dave Weiman to run a brand new off the show-room-floor Lancia (sponsor) Beta coupe on street tires to run lead. The ice made today's Sno*Drift look like a sticky stock car track. The hot tires for the event were Cooper Hydrophylics as I recall.

But in '76 we moved slowly up through the unfortunate pack in front of us. Hendrick Blok crashed on the last stage to give us 5th.

Tim Cline in Autoweek opened his article with something like "A surprised Kim DeMotte came in fifth on this weekend's El Diablo Rally". I was perpetually thanking Tim for his great press.

But yes...it ran mostly up in the Nicolet...hell I was a driver. I didn't know where I was!

Parps is the guy with the answers. And why not find some road closer to G.B.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts