Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who uses what for noise reduction when flying?

I used to use just foam plugs, but I wore them out. Last weekend I used some soft (silicone?) rubbery ones that didn't do much for me.

So, Bose noise reduction earphones are heavily advertised (and spendy).

Are there noise reduction earphones that JUST cut the noise (that don't require a music source)?

Thoughts?

ps children should not be allowed on red-eyes.

press on,

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
if you can manage to talk your way past the TSA's zealous guardians of the airways, wear your transit headset on the plane

best way to deal with seat kickers is to kick back (gently), esp on the parent's seats

Dave G

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jimmy, Sony makes some that aren't to bad. the model number is MDR NC20.

Not as comfortable as Bose, but the noise canceling is close to Bose and they are less than half price. Can be used by themselves and will cancel out noise well, but work best when plugged in to a CD player or similar.

The sony outlet stores sell refurbished ones for $100 and they are on the internet for $85 at "Tech for less". do a Google search for "sony mdr nc20"

Bob Campbell
[email protected]
BCR Rallysport
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
272 Posts
I pretend to be an engineer occasionally and I have done a lot of work over the last couple of years with noise reduction headsets in aircraft (Bose, Sony, Telephonics, Telex and JBL). They are very effective at cutting out a lot of the high frequency hum that come from engines, air con packs and so on.

They do very little to reduce speech or screaming kids. They are designed to "pass" those frequencies so you can carry on a conversation or listen to music with out it being blanked out or distorted.

In my experience foam earplugs are very cost effective in creating a quiet space in a high frequency noise environment like an aircraft. I could probably send you a couple of sets if you need replacements.

They NR-headsets are very effective at reducing environmentally induced fatigue but they do not give you a quiet environment. Airlines are fitting them on the flight deck with increasing regularity from the factory. As a side note some pilots do report headaches after using then for more than a few hours but that is a fairly small minority.

Dave

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
You could always have proper foam rubber ear phones made custom fit to your ear, equally expensive as noise cancelling head phones but effective over a larger range of frequencies.

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
950 Posts
Jimmy,

I have a set of the Bose for flying and they work well, don't have to plug them in for them to work, just turn them on. Went on a vacation to New Zealand in Feb. and wore them, not plugged in while sleeping on the long flights and they worked great.

David Weiman
rallydave at pobox dot com

·
R5/cr L5 into Helicopter Ride
420 Posts
Or offer one of the pillows you get and tell the parent "hold this over the kid's face for a couple of minutes, they quiet right down!"

Ok a little harsh :)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The majority of my flying was first class back in the 60's and 70's. Since then I've been on a few econ-seat flights in the 80's and 90's (which sucked). I haven't been on a plane since the early 90's.

From reading people's posts, TV, etc, it sounds like flying these days REALLY sucks unless you're fortunate enough to be able to purchase a seat on private jet.

The TSA is a joke.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Mike never ever use duct tape on a a kid , they wriggle around working up a sweat instantaniously and all the tape slides off. You then end up with a small child armed with sweaty duct tape tiwrling the stuff around like they are Zoro....

Tom

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>Take a small roll of duct tape next time - that'll quiet
>those kids down ...
>
>}(
>
>Halley ...
>I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
>
>http://www.realautosport.com
>

Duct tape is for fixing race cars. Why would I want to waste it on some brat? }(

·
Registered
194 Posts
I wouldnt wear ear plugs on a plane. You need your ears to adjust to the pressure changes. I would recomend the bose headset- My father flys 30 hours in a plane every other month and loves them. You could use transit head phones to help out too if you wanted to go the cheaper route " Peltor makes some of the best aviation headsets"

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
ears/noise - other remedies, cont.

Since kind Oregon Region folks helped me with the airport from & to my plan for the red-eye back here after OTPR 2003 was to be just wasted enough by the post-rally brews that nothing would keep me awake while southeastbound. Unfortunately, the rally ran just late enough to preclude serious self-impairment. Fortunately, there were no noisy kids awake on that flight.

Halley ...
I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Don't blame the kids.

I don't understand why people blame kids. I think it is the fault of parents and our current society. When I was a kid I, and many others, would get a spanking or a slap or something other than a useless "time-out" threat. Sometimes it was accompanied by crying followed with a parent saying "I'll give you something to cry about" which would immediately shut up the kid.

Parents that would like to spank their kids are screwed, because well meaning, but misguided, authorities equate corporal punishment with child abuse and criminal behavior.

Believe it or not... There was a time when parents would remove their crying or misbehaving kids from theaters, stores, etc.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jens, Jens, Jens

Here I go, hijacking my own thread, but it was such a soft pitch, I just couldn't resist:

>When I was a kid I,
>and many others, would get a spanking or a slap or something
>other than a useless "time-out" threat

and look what happened...

>Believe it or not... There was a time when parents would
>remove their crying or misbehaving kids from theaters, stores,
>etc.

Um, this one was a BABY (well below the age of reason).
Besides, we were on an AIRPLANE.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

press on,

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Terrorist alert!

>Here I go, hijacking my own thread.....

Ya know Carnivore and Eschelon are now on your trail for using "hijacking" and "airplane" in the same post. The TSA morons are just falling over themselves right about now trying to track you down.

>Um, this one was a BABY (well below the age of reason).
>Besides, we were on an AIRPLANE.

Rugrats should not be allowed on commercial aircraft unless the airline provides a special sound-proof, odor-proof section.

Babies suck in more ways than one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts