Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,
I am new to the forums. Racing a stage rally car has been something that I have wanted to do for 15 years. I'm now finally at a position in life that I can do it and I decided take the plunge and purchase a car for some NASA racing next season. I have two options in font me at the moment and I would like the feedback from the group.

• I have a 1999 Eclipse GS for sale locally for very cheap. It's in very rough shape, but I wouldn't want a show quality rally car as a starter car anyways. I figure it's going to end up in the woods my first season. It drives fine, just looks like crap. Of course it would need to be setup with cage and everything else.
  • I found another DSM 2G car fully setup as a rally car for sale as well. It is both NASA and RA legal and has a NASA log book.

I recently read a post on one of the DSM forums that said no one uses 2G DSMs for rally because it is impossible to put a good oil pan skid plate on them. Can you confirm this to be true? I'm leaning towards the fully set up car, but I noticed looking at results from last year that I don't really see many DSMs at all (It's a scuby kinda world these days).

Is getting a 2G DSM a rally mistake? Should I keep looking?

Thanks for the advice.
-=T

·
Registered
35 Posts
We looked at doing a 2G before starting our 1G build of a Talon... The issue with the 2G is not with the skid plates but the front magical double wishbone suspension.... It floats, it moves, it has a virtual pivot point that everything else moves around... The general consensus was that it will not hold up to being rallied....

I did speak someone who built/raced on in Quebec years ago and they said by the time the made the suspension reliable it was not drive able on the stage...

Do your self a favor and get a 1G if you want a DSM... maybe even a 3G since they went to mcperson struts but I have not seen any of these so I do not know if they have other issues... .

Derek
rallysputnik.com

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
All,
I am new to the forums. Racing a stage rally car has been something that I have wanted to do for 15 years. I'm now finally at a position in life that I can do it and I decided take the plunge and purchase a car for some NASA racing next season. I have two options in font me at the moment and I would like the feedback from the group.

• I have a 1999 Eclipse GS for sale locally for very cheap. It's in very rough shape, but I wouldn't want a show quality rally car as a starter car anyways. I figure it's going to end up in the woods my first season. It drives fine, just looks like crap. Of course it would need to be setup with cage and everything else.
  • I found another DSM 2G car fully setup as a rally car for sale as well. It is both NASA and RA legal and has a NASA log book.

I recently read a post on one of the DSM forums that said no one uses 2G DSMs for rally because it is impossible to put a good oil pan skid plate on them. Can you confirm this to be true? I'm leaning towards the fully set up car, but I noticed looking at results from last year that I don't really see many DSMs at all (It's a scuby kinda world these days).

Is getting a 2G DSM a rally mistake? Should I keep looking?

Thanks for the advice.
-=T
Second the advice on forget the 2nd gen shell for the reasons stated. The morphodite double whammy stuff is fine for smooth asphalt but pointless and weak when bashing into stuff...

Personally unless you are built like Toulouse Lautrec, I'd avoid the first gen shell as well especially if you're over 5'8".
I sit on the floor and can just see over the top of the dash but under the steering wheel... And theres maybe an inch tween my helmet and the roof..
Very poor outward visibility and seeing is the FIRST THING you need to do before gassin it or braking or turning, so you gotta see.

Remember if you get a turbo car you can do NASA and CARS events but it is a documented fact that you will kill busloads of baby orphans if you drive a turbo car in Wawwy Amerwica so they have a rule prohibiting noobs from using turbo cars...Build a 260 bhp n.a. motor, gear it 5.1, floor in and that car is perfectly OK for a Noob, but any turbo is streng verboten..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts