Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent my weekend doing non-rally stuff, but I stopped by the finish a while ago and heard some stories. The following are some very unofficial results:

Jardevall/Trowbridge won Saturday's Rally, but were out (mechanical) on Sunday.
Eklund/Huhn won Sunday's rally.
It sounds like the G2 team of Fuller/Call earned the Martini Asti for top 2WD on Sunday.
Jay Streets won G5 on Saturday.
Lane/Damitio won G5 on Sunday.
Tabor/Poirier won production.
Cavett/Van Bogart finished on the podium on Saturday.
Wright/Kean were quick in G5 on Sunday.
Nate Tennis was quick in G2.
Styles/Dillon had engine failure.
Foster/Perry had a broken ball joint.
Dave

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info:
Doug Chase and Mike Gruber were 3rd in G2 on Saturday in the V6 Fiero.
I think Jay Streets beat John Lane by 3 seconds on Sunday for another G5 win. Sorry about the previous wrong info.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Not only did we (Foster/Perry) go out with a broken ball joint (sheared off), we had three more tire failures (all punctures, I think), including one more than 4 miles from the end of the 27 mile stage, which we drove to the end and completely shredded and one on the transit back to the first service. Also, the right rear brake was completely destroyed (the rotor had separated completely and the caliper was dangling. The shredded tire ripped in the body and the car filled with dust so I could not see out of the car and could barely read the route book. Oh, also, one of the right rear CV joints was also destroyed.

We got the car back to service (after Gary and Travis Rea loaned us their spare tire) and Ross installed the spare right rear corner, but had to borrow brake pads from the Tabors (thanks!).

On SS3, the right front lower ball joint snapped in a turn (not in an impact) and I now have a little less foot room on my side of the car.
After the Saturday rally, I went and got a new ball joint in Olympia, but we were out of tires and the right front CV was destroyed in the aftermath of the ball joint failure and we had no spares, so we were out for Sunday as well.

I spent Sunday "working", sitting out at instruction 6 of stages 1 and 5 making sure that no one drove onto the stage from the intersecting roads.

So, that was my weekend. How was yours?

alan

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dave,
It looked like you lost the hose on the "dip" after the mainline hairpin,
at least that's where the trail of water started,
ending at the next intersection where you had pulled over.

bummer :(

I think that dip also cost me my muffler, when I slammed into it Sunday while staring at someone elses driveline (or tailpipe?) just past it.

·
Outrunning time
53 Posts
Actually, I think I lost it about 5 miles before then (based on the amount of melted plastic and such on the engine). I think Neville bashed open his rear diff right there, leaving its goey contents along the road. His ring and pinion expired shortly thereafter...

Dave LaTourette
www.davesport.com

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ray and I had a real good time this last weekend.
Saturday the Volvo was performing to expectations; setting a real good time for the first (very long) stage (third overall). On the second stage I went wide in a left and planted the right front (that same corner of the car again!!) in soft dirt that had no intentions of letting me back out of it. I broke reverse in the Jerico trying to back out. Ray was PISSED. Me too. We had a good samaritan stop with a white Impreza and pull us out (I had the tow strap in hand). Thanks guys. We continued, and with time penalties landed ourselves dead last for Saturday.
Sunday arrived with greyer skies (to my liking). Exciting roads awaited all those who were able to make the start.
I always have trouble with the tight, twisty stuff; and this is where Scott Fuller with that nice VW Golf and That rascal Californian Jay Streets in that Yellow Volvo 740T managed to build a good lead over Ray and I. We were not keeping track of times of our competition, but had a good feeling about how it was going, in particular when we learned that we put a minute on the other two wheel drive guys on the long (fast) stage. I managed to not need reverse all day, and after Dave Clark fished the large chunks of reverse out of the gearbox, I could then consistently select first and second gears. Prior to Dave doing this first and second were hit and miss, with my arriving at many acutes unable to select anything other then third or fourth. This made for a number of turns that cost us 10-15 seconds each, as the engine s-l-o-w-l-y climbed from under 1000rpm's to make power. I'll only abuse the clutch so much. Early in the day I managed to (in my mind) Poo-Poo Ray's call of a triple caution crest to right into a gravel pit with a left and then 90right immediatly following, and had an 80+mph MOMENT that I won't get wrong again. Ray tells me that the three seconds we lost to Jay Streets to we lost in the time spent going slower through that triple caution the second time.
So, Many thanks to Mike Irby for his help in servicing the Fire Breathing Monster this last weekend, as well as Dave Clark for his help. Todd Hartmann gets thanks for the bleeder nipple he so graciously persented us so that we could have a clutch again.
All the organizers, volunteers, Simpson Timber and everyone else who brought this event together, Thank you for an unforgettable weekend in the woods that left certain body orifices chaffed.
Ray---Thanks for hanging in there. We finally finished an event, and didn't do that badly at it too boot. ;) JohnLane

·
Registered
128 Posts
white production eclipse?

heater hose blew and then the car was run till it overheated badly and blew the head gasket.

they worked late into the night to put on a new headgasket, but apparently the gouges in the cylinder walls were a little too deep and the car had no compression the next morning.

john

·
Registered
590 Posts
Head gasket failed

Scored (apparently) all 4 cylinders and had no compression after the repair

Those guys busted their tails to get it changed, too bad it wouldn't go on sunday

Matt

·
Registered
49 Posts
check out how my predictions went under the Fantasy forum

I was pretty close on a lot of them.

I would like to know why T-Stow, Derek Nelson and Shawn Tennis didn't run.

Also want to know what was the reason for the DNFs for:

G5 - Koch (Datsun 210)
G2 - Durley (Focus)
PGT - Linglebach (Talon) (Saturday)
O - Mailman (Audi Quattro Coupe) (Sunday SS4)
G2 - Shrenk (Saab 99)(Saturday)
O - Neville Green (Ford XR4TI) Saturday and Sunday

Looks like I missed a good race :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
>I would like to know why T-Stow, Derek Nelson and Shawn
>Tennis didn't run.

Sean Tennis was ill the week prior and was unable to do some last minute repairs, so Did Not Start.

S

·
0 Posts
Some assembly required....

Ben told me that Nat T-Stow's car was still in pieces.

---------------------------------------
John Dillon John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
128 Posts
Koch had about 1/2 to 1 inch wide crack in the front part of the uni-body. I think it was between the body and the strut tower. apparently that kinda make the suspension/steering a little funny :(

Greg L. had so many flats on the first stage saturday they couldn't continue and got time barred...or something like that...

Neville...heard somewhere else that he blew his rear diff on saturday and on sunday he was driving through the service area dragging the rear bumper...but don't know his real reason for being out.

being in service gives you all kinds of time to find out whats going on :)

john

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, the car does handle funny when your strut is no longer part of the team. I?d say about 30-40% of the metal surrounding the strut mount was torn. The strut had fully ripped out of the mount and the oil that I generally prefer to be inside of the strut was coating my wheel well.

Not sure as to the series of events but I did take a hard bump to the passenger side front (probably a water bar) halfway through stage 3 on Saturday. The Datsun is going to need a lot of love if she?s to drive again.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey Scott,

I think we have more work to do on the Audi...don't know if you saw it!!! The back of the car is the only section that looks normal!

We plan on getting the in car on the web somewhere...the camera didn't miss a beat on the roll.

Believe it or not...neither of the boys cussed!! :)

I will try to get some digital shots of the car soon!!!

Tina

1 - 20 of 27 Posts