Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time my wife went to have my racing suit dry cleaned - the dry cleaner turned her away saying that they can no longer dry clean racing suits as their process degrades the ability of the suit to retard fire.

has anyone run into this? Are there different dry cleaning processes? Should I be concerned about the retard? err, uh, fire retard of course ...:p

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have always had my suits dry-cleaned, because it always looks better(neater and more professional) the next time I wear it. I think that looking like a Pro is pretty inexpensive(my dry cleaner does any item for $2.99, but even if it were 5 times as much, it's a bargain).

·
R3 Slippy
79 Posts
From what I can recall, I think dry cleaning can affect the effectivness of Proban suits, but that's it.

For what it's worth - pro race teams dry clean the crew and driver's uniforms weekly, so that suggests it's probably OK.

Chris Gilligan

·
Registered
285 Posts
Most suits will identify what cleaning method is approved. Sparco puts these identifiers along the front zipper. My dry cleaner does all of the driving suits for Ford Test Drivers and when I took my new suit to them, they looked directly for the label. Some manufacturers do notify that dry cleaning is not approved, but that would/could be based on their specific fabric construction. According to my cleaner, it all depends on the testing and certification that the manufacturer completes.

Bottom line, check your label.

Bill Westrick

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Find a cleaner who can READ

V--

Find a cleaner who can read labels. Your suit is designed to be dry cleaned!

Make sure they use fresh cleaning solution...you can probably request this. Last time my suit got dry cleaned it stank for days. (that's what the crew said about my suit BEFORE it got cleaned, tho...)

Dave G
Co-Pilote et Suit Stinker
LDR

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

:p

·
Registered
239 Posts
Considering I have a suit for sale (over in the Classifiieds section) and it has been strictly dry-cleaned, I have a keen interest in knowing the answer. So I emailed OMP USA (which is the manufacturer of my NOMEX III suit), and this is the response I got:

Mike,
The suit will not lose any of it's fire resistance with washing. You can wash it in your machine - just use the 'delicate' cycle...not regular. Once it's washed, hang dry - no machine. Then you're done! You can dry clean if you want, but since washing it yourself is so easy, it really is not neccesary. Hope this helps! If there is anything else you need, check us out online at www.teamdi1.com, or call us at (973)361-0508. Thanks.

Of course, my experience is with OMP only, so take that for what it's worth. As others suggest, check your label if you're unsure of material or manufacturer-specific processes.

Mike Moyer
Eclipse GSX #302 (being rebuilt)
CRS GT
SCCA PGT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts