Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I just finished my first rally as co-driver, I'm confronted with a bit of a quandry: I need to get my suit cleaned.

I was originally planning to just throw it in the washing machine, but the tag says "dry clean only".

Does anyone have any insight into dry cleaning chemicals? What's out there? Are there specific ones I should be avoiding? I don't want to impregnate my flame-retardent suit with flammable chemicals if I can possibly avoid it.

Here in Ontario (and probably other places, too), any workplace is SUPPOSED to have a Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet on any hazardous chemicals, so I should be able to confirm what dry cleaning agents any particular place uses. The only catch is that I'm not sure which I should go for, and which I shouldn't.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Jeff Hagan

·
Registered
533 Posts
When I pruchased my suit from Racequip I was told to dry clean it the first couple of times I wanted it cleaned. They said it would set the colors and keep them from bleeding onto each other.

After that they said to throw it in the washing machine and line dry it.

jblewis

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
RE: Drying time...

Nomex is a fabric, not a treatment, so can be dry cleaned with I think any commercial fluid to no ill-effect (this is from DemonTweeks last week - in fact they said that cleaning improves fire-retardance). Proban is, I think, a treatment, and will be affected by dry cleaning, regardless of solvent type.

ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
665 Posts
RE: Drying time...

I take mine (nomex) into the dry cleaners after each rally. The first time I took it in I was all prepared to give the guy a stern heads-up "this is nomex, please don't screw it up" etc. He beat me to it "Oh a racing suit" (looks at the tag) "yup, nomex - we do these all the time..."

Robin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.