Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has come to buy a driving suit and I have some questions about them. I was planing on buying a SFI 3-2A/5 single peice suit. I think this is the best solution. Singles are safer then 2 peices, and I can wear it alone during summer events and put underwear under if you add protection if it is a cooler event. I have some questions about different kinds and what is really needed.

1. How many layers is best? I see that most SFI 3-2/5 suits are at least 2 layers. OMP however offers a relativly cheap 3 layer suit (model Trend). So is that a better option then a 2 layer suit?

2. What is the best material? Most I think are made out of Nomex, but there are also Proban, Cotton, and others. Which is the better material? Are all Nomex suits made out of Nomex III or just some, and which is the best Nomex?

3. What is a TPP rating? The higher the number the better the suit or vise versa?

4. Is a name brand suit worth the extra money? Are suits made by Sparco, Momo, OMP, and other better then American companies?

Those are the basic questions I can think of right now. I might think of some later, but I would just like any input. What kind of suits do everyone else use? What manufactures are good? Really anything to do with suits that you think I should know.

Thanks
Robin

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not that I'm an expert in any sense of the word, but when I bought my suit, I pretty much just wanted a Nomex suit and that's about it. From what I've read, the treated cotton ones, (I'm pretty sure Proban is a treated cotton) will eventually lose their ability to retard flames. I guess the treatment wears out after washing the suit a few times.

Here are a few excerpts from the 2002 SCCA Rulebook:

A. FIA homologated driving suits and underwear are recommended. Other suits must carry an SFI 3-2a/1 or higher certification patch.

D. All competitors must wear fire resistant underwear if their suit does not carry a FIA or SFI 3-2a/5 rating or higher or is not at least three layers thick.

I ended up with an SFI 3-2a/5 2 layer suit, and a set of Nomex underwear. Just to be safe. It wouldn't be at all very fun if I got burned up in a fire, so I wanted to be extra cautious.

As far as your question about TPP isd concerned, here is a link to a safeteysuit manufacturer's website that sheds a little light on SFI ratings, and the relationship that it has to TPP.

http://www.racequip.net/sfi.htm

Hope this helps.

Mike Anderson
85 VW GTI

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). Try e-mailing Demon Tweeks in the UK. They will send you a catalogue. You'll be drooling by the time you're finished! It will tell you all the suits that are FIA approved. They're at [email protected]. You'll probably pay less ordering through them as well, even after paying Customs etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts