Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/

Saw the add for this on the forums. I was actually discussing with my friend the potential of developing an Iphone program that did just about the same thing as this and could be used for rallying, track days, autox, rallyx, your morning drive to work.

Since the I-phone does have a compas/GPS/accelerometers you could even put in dead reckoning for when you lose GPS signal driving through the trees.

But anyone with an Android phone have this or willing to try it out and report how it works with stage rally? I would LOVE to have something like this where I can get get a graphical representation of speeds, acceleration, deceleration down to the turn. Could compare how fast I go through some turns compared to others.

But I wonder how it works with autox/rallyx/stage rally. Since you're on a track it's easy to get an idea when you do a lap since you go near a common waypoint and it can reset or you set sector times. I just guess with a stage rally you would start up the app, mount it to your dash, and tell it to start once it senses movement. At the end of the stage you tell it to stop.

You might not get accurate stage times (that's what a stop watch and co-driver is for) but you could still have all the telemetry data from your run to compare turn by turn data.

·
I have a GTX Problem
45 Posts
I'll see about checking it out at Wild West... (co-driving anyway)

If I remember.

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Comparing to a lot of other programs that do the same thing, the less than $10 price tag is nice. I've seen a lot of these GPS based data loggers go from $250 up to a few grand depending on the system and refresh rate.

But specifics on the turns are all depending on the refresh rate of the phone's GPS. Most of the expensive systems go up as you get more Hz on the GPS signal. I would think for rally a 10Hz would do. You might be able to live with down to 5Hz. But I did a quick google search and one Iphone SDK forum was saying it gets a refresh every 5 seconds...

But let me know 808 how it turns out. I just wonder how strong the sat signal will be in the woods. I was doing recce at NEFR in my co-driver's truck and he had sat radio and it would go in/out depending how much tree cover we had.

I guess more development could lead to the ability to plug in external antenna and get stronger signals as well so you don't need your phone on the dashboard.

But the more expensive systems to compare to:
DL1/DL2 data loggers
traqmate.com
maxqdata.com

·
I have a GTX Problem
45 Posts
Yeah, I have a feeling I'll be requesting a refund at the end of the weekend... but I'm more than willing to check it out. I'm so excited finally something available for the g1 that isn't available for the iphone!

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they do have stuff similar for the iphone. Just do a google search for "lap timer iphone app".

·
L5 Lg > 4 into Broken
561 Posts
I don't think the traqmate uses GPS at all does it? I used to auto-x with some guys who I think had it. At least whatever they were using didn't have GPS at all.

If the accelerometer info is fast enoough you could get a pretty good map from that alone. With a 5 sec refresh rate you could at least tag the run at fixed intervals with location (if you actually got a signal). It would be really cool to then have the ability to overlay the stage on google earth using the GPS tags!

If I had a G1 I'd try it at BRS in a few weeks, but alas I don't.

Jeremy

·
I have a GTX Problem
45 Posts
I'll be using it the weekend of Sept 26th and 27th..

·
I have a GTX Problem
45 Posts
Ok well it seems to have only had one glitch.. will be checking them out as i have time this week and will get back to you... maybe upload some of the info it gives me.

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice. What was the one glitch?

·
I have a GTX Problem
45 Posts
It failed and closed on start of logging but only once.. i had it set up to start logging on movement, but it kinda freaked out that i was doing things while it was starting.

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any updates to this? Verizon is finally getting Android phones within the next few weeks and I'll be picking up the Motorola Sholes around it's December 3rd release.

·
I have a GTX Problem
45 Posts
Need to import them into GoogleEarth still... Been super busy prepping for Mt hood and working 50-60 hour work weeks and moving out of my house. I'm happy with it though. Even without cell service the gps service still works.

Edit: And my data cable was stolen along with the rest of my car... I just went looking for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts