Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been rewiring all the Air conditioner stuff I pulled out.

It is a pain.

Can I cut the loom ?

The only things connected to it were fans , etc and all that stuff has been removed.

So part of me wants to get it over with and cut the whole loom. The other half wants to take apart the loom and trace every wire and remove it at the source.

"Dreaming of a clean and uncluttered engine room"

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
At last the computer is letting me reply. You can remove the entire wiring harness and build your own with only what you need. Not as hard as it sounds. Just use the basic wiring system of battery, fuse switch, device (light, fan, etc.) ground. However with some engine management systems you are better off with the factory wiring. Aftermarket control systems have their own wiring. So it depends. I have used both the cut it out and throw it away system and the patch and repair one at a time with equally good results.
Richard

·
Registered
272 Posts
>I have been rewiring all the Air conditioner stuff I pulled
>out.
>
>It is a pain.
>
>Can I cut the loom ?
>
>The only things connected to it were fans , etc and all that
>stuff has been removed.
>
>So part of me wants to get it over with and cut the whole
>loom. The other half wants to take apart the loom and trace
>every wire and remove it at the source.
>
>"Dreaming of a clean and uncluttered engine room"
>
>Robert VanLane
>TakeTomboRacing

If the loom is out and you have the time then removing the wires from the bundle at source is a better way to go.

If you just cut the excess off then remember to isolate the power to the parts as there will be at least one +12V line in there, having that spark against the chassis or another ground everytime you hit a bump is not a good idea. At best you will keep blowing fuses, at worst it is a potential fire hazard and ignition source.

To isolate the power correctly you really have to take the loom apart to find the source... Catch 22.

Dave
[email protected]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cut it for now and when the season ends I will rewire and make a new fuse box and switches.

Thanks for the comments.

Robert VanLane
TakeTomboRacing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts