Special Stage Forums banner

Doug Havir, I'm going to go out on a limb here

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  wahl 
#1 ·
I'm not trying to be (whatever, I can't come up with a good term), but since you are heading a group that could affect the future of our sport, and I (and possibly many others) know nothing about you, have never met you (but I will correct that at the next event we're both at), Could you tell us a little bit about yourself, your background, your experience, your compentency for the task at hand? Thanks.

#5 ·
First off let me say I've got some text in a Q&A format that I'm going to put up on a web page here RSN (real soon now) that will help explain some things. HTML and I get along only so well though, so expect it to look like utter crap, then be fixed up later by someone who actually can put two colors together without making people cry. :)

I can either throw out four sentences here for your reading pleasure or wait for Jeff to ask questions. I guess the quickest answer is that it's not going to be ME dictating changes, it's ALL of the organizers plus the manufacturers council plus Rally America working WITH the SCCA to make it all tick like a Swiss watch (it may be rusty at first, but it'll get better!). You need to look at what that group as a whole has to offer, not just what I know. There's no way I could ever come close to doing something like this on my own.

As for the original question, I'm a professional programmer of 20+ years, I own & run National Bankcard Services (www.nbs-inc.com) which affords me my rally toys, I did 3 ClubRallies last year, one this year, plus the Pro series this year (except STPR as my motor took a holiday) and I'm pretty well hooked. That's it in a nutshell. Oh yeah, I've been told I crash better than most!

Look for more in-depth information to come shortly.

Cheers,
-Doug

#6 ·
Thanks. We've got 2 thing in common. I've been hooked on this sport for as long as you've been a (professional?) programmer and I've been in "Data Processing" for all my working life, 36 years (Boy am I ever getting old :'( ) BTW, what's a professional programmer? One who does it for a living as opposed to a hobby?

#7 ·
Yeah, one who actually gets paid for twiddling the bits as opposed to just slapping stuff together for self, friends & relatives is what I consider a professional programmer. I was screwing around with computers and could call myself a programmer since about the 4th or 5th grade, but it wasn't a job (it was an adventure!). My first home computer was an IMSAI 8080 (of "War Games" fame), and I used to punch in 8080 code in binary on the front panel. Ah, those were the days (when I actually had the time to punch in binary!)...

-Doug (yeah I like to add "asides" a lot don't I?) Havir

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.