Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Doug's had a lot of bad luck at The Hill over the years. It's good to see him have a clean week. I suggested to Doug after Ojibwe last year that the SRT-4 could run with the GpN cars on good roads. Guess it's true.

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
Congrats to Doug and Cindy, they did a great job. Not to take anything away from their efforts (I wouldn't dare) but it also illustrates just how effective the inlet restrictor for GN cars is, especially at altitude!

Mark Utecht

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
True. The most important thing you can bring to Pikes Peak is your own air. The Gp5 & GpN times are only slightly faster than the PGT times of the late 80s. Add that Doug & John Crawford were both running at a 13:10 pace when the snow storm hit in 88, and you can see what the restrictor costs at altitude. By the way, we ran just over 1.2 bar boost in the assorted GLHs, Shadows, & Daytonas.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Cindy has had some great rides up the hill- last year to 2nd in open Rally w/Paul Choiniere in the factory Hyundai (w/ a flat tyre.)
She said it was a great ride w/Doug (I would expect nothing less.)
- and thanks to both of them for bringing the salad/dressing to the top of the hill. (and not tossing it until they reached the peak).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just you wait 'till next year!!! I'll have the boost turned up past the stock 10psi and with some proper tires Doug's gonna have to watch out. I was really surprised at the lack of power, even at the start line.
Anyway, we had a fantastic time. Fourteen miles of dirt road have never made me feel like that!!!
Congratulations to Doug and Cindy.
Chris

·
Registered
272 Posts
I agree with Chris here, Doug and Cindy drove a great event and deserve the win.

That was the most intense 12 miles I have ever competed on, everyone needs to do this event, it is just awesome, no ther word to describe it.

The grin on Chris's face as we crossed the finish line said everything.

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
I agree, Pikes Peak is an awesome event, and I look forward to running it again.

I still don't think, however, that this rallysprint should score full National points towards a ProRally championship. Now, if we ran up the mountain 9 times ....

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Or, as Ari Vatanen suggested, turn around at the top & run back down. I never saw so many Pikes Peak veterans' faces go white as when he said this to a reporter. The statement was made in such a way as to challenge the manhood of those who disagreed.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>I agree with Chris here, Doug and Cindy drove a great event
>and deserve the win.
>
>That was the most intense 12 miles I have ever competed on,
>everyone needs to do this event,

Oi Dave:
I bet some of the following cars would just love to do the event:

>As of June 30 on the web site:
>
>Gp2: 21 cars
>Open: 11 cars
>PGT: 9
>Gp5: 6
>GpN: 6
>P: 5
>
>Intresting, at least to me.
>
>Derek

>
>The grin on Chris's face as we crossed the finish line said
>everything.

Too bad the huge bulk of these SCCA members aren't invited to this SCCA evennt.

Bugger the SCCA.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
946 Posts
>>The grin on Chris's face as we crossed the finish line said
>>everything.
>
>Too bad the huge bulk of these SCCA members aren't invited
>to this SCCA evennt.
>
>
>Bugger the SCCA.
Anyone who wanted to run Pikes Peak just had to send their money in.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>>Too bad the huge bulk of these SCCA members aren't invited
>>to this SCCA evennt.
>>
>>
>>Bugger the SCCA.
>Anyone who wanted to run Pikes Peak just had to send their
>money in.

Trevor is absolutely correct. Anyone with a ProRally license was entitled to run the event. Group A and Open ran for points, everyone else did not - this year. Allowing other classes was an experiment to see how many would show an interest, but with the early entry date, high fees, and no refund policy, most seem to have decided that to run without points wasn't worth it.

Pike's Peak is like no other race or rally in the world. If you haven't been there, there's no way to explain it.

Bruce

·
Registered
272 Posts
>>I agree with Chris here, Doug and Cindy drove a great event
>>and deserve the win.
>>
>>That was the most intense 12 miles I have ever competed on,
>>everyone needs to do this event,
>
>Oi Dave:
>I bet some of the following cars would just love to do the
>event:
>

John, what stopped anyone else running PP? I did not get an engraved invite, we just sent in an entry like everyone else who ran this year.

We are just another G5 car who decided to experiance the hill, there was no cars excluded or anyone turned away that wanted to run 2WD.

It was just a matter of handing over money, having a Pro- license and turning up at 4am to take part. 2WD was an exhibition class and we went to do the event and have some fun, it was not for points, just for fun. We learnt a huge amount about preparing the car for a unique event that could be a full points event next year.

What stopped any of those G5, G2 or P cars competing for the heck of it? It was an awesome event and I would have loved to see more class entries, but what in your mind stopped any of those cars entering?

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
Doug beat my Open car, too... I DID have ECU problems which limited my ability to make any reasonable Horse Power (my top speeds at the Picnic Grounds and Glen Cove were over 35mph slower than other Open cars!).

Doug drove the heck out of his car... his tires were completely worn out at the top!

I agree with Bruce; everyone should try it once! I'll go back, but only with enough power to be in the 12 minute range. Recce and the practice sessions were as much fun as the race itself.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As 2wd was an exhibition class only and was all grouped into one entity, Mazda made the decision to NOT go to the mountain this year. Our 2 liter non-turbo car would be a Briggs and Stratton at best by the summit. We could not afford to risk an expensive engine for a few beers and a frustrating drive. I'm not sure if it would be practical for any Group 2 or P class team as it requires such a different engine calibration for such lackluster performance...it would be slow no matter how you slice it and that is a lot of effort and money expended for a that type of experience.

I plan to be there next year in something with a turbo and probably driving all 4 wheels.

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
Bring HP, too!

Lurch,
Bring plenty of horsepower, too! I proved that 10 pounds of boost and a fairly stock ECU aren't enough. My top speeds were quite below the pace and my top speed of only 50ish over the last 1/3 made for a pretty sad showing. BUT, it is quite a show, and the high fives from all the spectators on the ride back down was VERY cool!

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
RE: Bring HP, too!

BUT, it is
>quite a show, and the high fives from all the spectators on
>the ride back down was VERY cool!
>
>J.B. Niday
>www.nidayrallysport.com

High five!? I think you were going for the full ten, you nearly dragged me down the hill by the arm!:p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts