Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Rotaries should be welcome, too. They've been big part of US rally history starting from R100, Rx2, Rx3, Rx4, Rotary Pick-up and Rx7.
- "Our" Rod Millen was the first rally winner driving a Rotary engine in the world (in NZ). Nick van Nugteren was the second one(in Singapore). Both were big and historical wins in '70s.
- Mazda USA has always been very good to support Club guys.

PS. 12A SHOULD be allowed to Gr2 but is not, god knows why? It's only 2300cc. (FIA = 1.8 x volume)
 

·
400 flat to crest
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
RE: Don't forget Mazda Rotaries! How could we? So LOUD!!!!!

>- Rotaries should be welcome, too. They've been big part of
>US rally history starting from R100, Rx2, Rx3, Rx4, Rotary
>Pick-up and Rx7.
Yeah you're right.
>- "Our" Rod Millen was the first rally winner driving a
>Rotary engine in the world (in NZ). Nick van Nugteren was
>the second one(in Singapore). Both were big and historical
>wins in '70s.
>- Mazda USA has always been very good to support Club guys.

OK that's true,
>
>PS. 12A SHOULD be allowed to Gr2 but is not, god knows why?
>It's only 2300cc. (FIA = 1.8 x volume)

Yeah but it was the BRD govt. that allowed NSU to call the Ro80 rotary a 1200 to allow it to get under the 1300 tax limit popular on the continent. BundesRepublikDeutchland wanted to maintain jobs in that end of Germany, so domestic political considerartions allow the fiction of watching and counting the sweep of one face of the rotor, and multiplying by 2 for the rotors. This ignores the fact that there are two more faces of the rotor sweeping just over there and yep, there's one lurking over there, too.
they make power like 4+ liters, they drink gas like 4+ liters, Hmmmm somehow they're 1200 or 1300.

Still, don't count them out, just muffle them really good!!!





John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
RE: Don't forget Mazda Rotaries! How could we? So LOUD!!!!!

Hello Rally faithful,

I agree that rotary vehicles should be allowed. I am in the process of building a 79 RX7. The lack of technology in these cars seems a perfect fit for historic rally.

The history of RX7's is well documented and the contingency offered by the manufacturer shows their support at a grass roots level. Thats what this should be all about. Grass roots racers having fun in some historical cars.

I think you need to include cars that people have access to that can be rallied without mortgaging the house.

Just my 2c worth.

Thanks,


Brad M
Flat Out & Sideways
 

·
400 flat to crest
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
RE: Don't forget Mazda Rotaries! How could we? So LOUD!!!!!

>Hi Brad,
good to se this timely answer and request for inclusion. Well, you car shows the whole thing is a nutshell duddnit?

First gen RX7 may have been produced in 79, but look at the "technology" in the things: Licence built NSU rotary from the mid 60s, conventional strut front- rigid axle back, and for something vaguely resembling steering "Recirculating Ball" ferchristsakes.
So clearly as far as technology goes the thing is crude mid sixties design, in swoopy sheetmetal.

But they were out there in the seventies both here and didn't Achim Warmbold go to Acropolis once?

The big question is why not?

See the above thread about the process, and above all, when you have the time draft your proposals or sign on to a Group Grope Letter of those wishing to see both a broader inclusion and a more open and comprehensible public process.


Hello Rally faithful,
>
>I agree that rotary vehicles should be allowed. I am in the
>process of building a 79 RX7. The lack of technology in
>these cars seems a perfect fit for historic rally.
>
>The history of RX7's is well documented and the contingency
>offered by the manufacturer shows their support at a grass
>roots level. Thats what this should be all about. Grass
>roots racers having fun in some historical cars.
>
>I think you need to include cars that people have access to
>that can be rallied without mortgaging the house.
>
>Just my 2c worth.
>
>Thanks,
>
>
>Brad M
>Flat Out & Sideways





John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top