Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I love the Lancers and Subarus they sell down here south of the border, I was looking for something a little more unique and thought a Golf with synco would be interesting. Do they have them up there and on which generation? Anyone had much luck ralling with that system? How would I go about finding one?

Or Could I get the parts and bolt them into my 1986 GTI?

Any help you could offer would be great. I suppose I should be asking someone down here about importing one, but if you have sold a car to someone in the USA please elighten me on the Customs process.

Thanks for you help and if I can schedule it hope to see y'all in northern Quebec.

Preston

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Thanks for you help and if I can schedule it hope to see
>y'all in northern Quebec.

Preston:

If you somehow managed to get you car to northern Quebec, you won't see any other rally cars. Moose, kayaks, trees, rocks, lots of lakes and rivers, but no roads (or rally cars).

Take a look at a map and you will see what I mean. All of the Quebec rallies, in fact, take place very close to the US border.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, what I wanted to say was RALLYE BAIE DES CHALEURS, but since English is the only language that I have a pathetic grasp of I could not remember how to spell it. So hope to see you at the RALLYE BAIE DES CHALEURS if I can get off from work. They get a little suspicious if you call in sick over the July 4th weekend down here, so I will have to strike a serious bargain with them.

What about the "sycros"?

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>What about the "sycros"?

I heard that G60 synchro Passats were sold in Canada, but I haven't seen any for sale. I am looking for one to make a AWD Corrado.

alan

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>You could go to: http://www.vwvortex.com/
>
>and read about the new R32, coming soon to a VW dealer near
>you in the USA. VR6, 6 speed tranny, Haldex diffs, and
>4Motion.

There is a lot of discussion of the R32, but not much about the different VAG AWD systems. A guy had been trying to get a forum started on the topic, but it hasn't happened yet.

Between some talk on vwvortex about how the Golf IV chassis isn't so hot as a rally platform (maybe I was reading too much into that though) and what I have been reading about Haldex on the GTX mailing list, I think the R32 is going to make a better street car than rally car, but this discussion should be in the Car Construction, not Canada conference.

alan

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Preston, the VW factory themselves didn't have any luck with their 4wd cars and that wacky G-lader stuff.
It's junk.
Put your money into a proper close ratio box with short ring and pinion and a good plate type LSD, some compression and cams and fuel and you'll have s sheeet load of fun and beat 90% of the pokey turbo 4wd cars.
less is more, and cheaper too.
John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
>G-lader stuff.
>It's junk.
>Put your money into a proper close ratio box with short ring
>and pinion and a good plate type LSD, some compression and
>cams and fuel and you'll have s sheeet load of fun and beat
>90% of the pokey turbo 4wd cars.
>less is more, and cheaper too.
I couldn?t agree more g laders are a grenade with the pin pulled, just waiting to explode! As for the less is more comment, my street car is a $300 USD(we are in a Canadian forum after all) 1977 rabbit with a 148whp 2.0L 16v that is 148 wheel horsepower as measured with a dynojet 248c chassis dyno I have maybe $600 in the engine most of that was just purchasing the motor. But the point is I have a cheap car that is a blast to drive. the motor would be a snap to duplicate you dont need a fancy injection system or huge cams either

1 - 10 of 10 Posts