Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're knock knock knockin' on heaven's door and Autronic USA tells me a chassis ear while we're tuning can help us. Never used one. Looks kind of gross to me - not a knock sensor but what else are we going to do?

Anyone got one? Lots of free beer to the willing lender.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have one but it is attached. I would look weird (actually more weird) with only one ear. I could probablly carve or mold some sort of prosthetic device. I would need a little more input before I start. Would you like it to be similar to Spock (Startreck) or ??

:+

Actually I have not heard of this device. Can you provide more details.

Ed

·
Registered
59 Posts
The last time I dyno tuned an engine, I spoke to an Engineer from GM, and he told me that they have used a copper tube. I think he crushed one end and drilled and tapped it to the block. I forget if he used a microphone or just listened to the sound propagate through the tube. I would assume you could do the same on the chassis, as long as your motor mounts are fairly stiff.

MR

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Eh, what chew talkin about, ACP??

Whaaaaatt!??!?

Think youre talking about what amounts to a stethoscope combined with a screwdriver tip. Saw device like that for sale at (gasp) JC Whitney.

You might try the old standby-- take a big fat screwdriver, put the tip against what you wanna listen to, and put your ear to the handle. Works pretty darn well (tho Evo sound levels might make it painfull!)

Cheers,
Whaat??
Dave G
LDR

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have had a couple of people offer and looks like I have a loaner. It's a chassis listening device, a little like the stethoscope with the probe that you might use to listen to wheel bearings etc., but with clips and amplification. What a detonation sounds like with this I don't know. Autronic USA implies you can use it as a human knock sensor.

Thanks to all who have questioned/offered/loaned. This is a great community.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts