Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: Poll

If you were totally appathetic then the effort to even read the post would be to much.;)

Bradney A. Boli
Over Exposure Racing
Honda Accord #311

·
Registered
64 Posts
Poll results

Is there a glitch in this poll? I tried to vote as licensed ClubRally competitor / No, and it says I already voted. That may explain why the count is still zero...

I realize that stage notes do not mean pace notes & recce, but they do describe every turn. I think reading a road at first sight is a lost art unique to rallying that I'd like to keep. I admit the teams with local knowledge, the teams who have rallied the same roads for ten years, and the teams that shoot in-car videos and study them before the rally the following year, have a significant advantage. I still like blind rallies anyway, with quality routebook instructions for the treacherous anomalies. Call me a hopeless romantic...

?I didn?t care about practice? From an ideological point of view, I believe that racing on the road, you must not have experience. You must know the car, know the basic structure of the road, and in your eye, you must have a kind of trigonometric computer, like in an airplane. You must solve the problems every second. Every second, you must decide. No, if I practice, I know the whole story, and then I am bored.?

Count Gianno Marzotto
winner, Mille Miglia, 1950, 1953
from Sports Car International magazine, October/November 1999
(used without permission)

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
RE: Poll results

Just some dumb Italian gentleman driver. ;)

It's kind of like in the Gumball Rally where the Italian rips off the rearview mirror.

This is not a slight at Italians, some of my best friends are Italian.

Wilson

·
Registered
23 Posts

"First rule of Italian driving, what is behind you does not matter."

Raul Julia's best role, IMHO.

Back on topic:

Running CT this year, it was our first time running recce and preparing our own pacenotes. OT will be our first time running with provided notes.

From a driver's viewpoint, I liked recce/notes as it made me feel quite a bit more comfortable driving at speed as I "knew" what was coming up on the stage. I am not a big fan of a "blank" route book and a wake up note 2 miles later. Still didn't prevent my brain fart blowing a square right by setting up for a square left - damn dyslexia!

From my co-driver's side of the car, I would say it is a safe bet that he felt more a part of the team and was much busier and contributed more to the stage than straight route instructions.

I really hope all the Nationals give the *option* to run recce and/or have *optional* stage notes. The only argument against them I have seen or heard is the time that self-funded, privateer teams would have to take off to accomplish this. Being one myself, I totally understand, but I guess it would be the price to pay (among other things) to play in the National field.

For Club Rallies, if this is supposed to be the feeder series I have heard so much about, why not make an event or two run the same format (recce and pacenotes) so to as educate and expose us newbies to the black art of pacenotes? Can you say, "Run on sentence?"

-Ray Jay

·
Registered
156 Posts

As an organizer the biggest problem I have with practice is getting permision to shut down the road an extra day. It's hard enough to get permission to close down the roads in the middle of the night to run the rally, now I need to close it a couple days before?
Do we need to set up marshals, radio net and medical teams? We all know that Rally Drivers can not stay under the speed limit, so driving the roads with the public would be dangerous. Run a "local" off the road and then try to get permisson from the Sheriff to run your event.
One big argument for getting permisson to use the roads is that it is just one night a year with very little inconvince to anyone. When you have cars running around the woods for days before, now you are starting to be a bother.

·
Registered
583 Posts
COST ? WHO PAYS ? CLUB?

With respect to the pollster:

Unless you also state the COST PER EVENT and WHO PAYS (and whether or not it affects ClubRally)......this poll is meaningless.

It's like asking: "Who wants a new Evo?"

Rich Smith

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

>I really hope all the Nationals give the *option* to run
>recce and/or have *optional* stage notes. The only argument
>against them I have seen or heard is the time that
>self-funded, privateer teams would have to take off to
>accomplish this. Being one myself, I totally understand,
>but I guess it would be the price to pay (among other
>things) to play in the National field.

While all the Pro events are moving to prepared stage notes, don't expect to see recce at all events any time soon. As Kevin points out, many of the roads just wouldn't be available under those circumstances.

Bruce

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
RE: COST ? WHO PAYS ? CLUB?

Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa.) Notes will not be used for Treeline in the foreseeable future. Reason #1. Unless you've competed, you have no idea of how twisty and tight these roads are. If I noted this event, it would take more time than I have available and the amount of paper would be huge. Any volunteers out there? Reason #2. The USFS would not take kindly to cars traversing the roads, prior to the rally, even at night. Reason #3. The roads I use are not noted for their top speed, but more on acceleration out of the corners. The longest straight is maybe 100-150 yards!Brad, would you agree?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.