Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's sort of something that came up in "The line between club and Pro" of a lot of teams entering the Saturday club rally just in case something happens Friday so they can reenter and get something out of the weekend. Why not just let them restart without entering the club that we actually have club cars in club and they save their $50? Not just that why not let them restart at any restart like at MFR there is a restart at noon Saturday? Thoughts? Ideas? How?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
It's coming to WRC next year. I think it will only be a matter of time until it is standard practice everywhere. Doesn't mean I like it, but that's a whole 'nuther subject.

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
I don't mind that teams restart after they DNF the first day.
In Pro classification, they shoudn't be able to collect any points after they DNF and start at the back of the pro cluster.
Pro events are two club events combined, so that would not make any difference.
Why not have some fun after fixing the car?

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
At the Rallye de Paris events, you can re-start if you DNF a stage. But the the steward and I are debating if you can score any points or not. Right Dave? I want to score any stage not completed at bogey or the slowest car. Dave wants a straight DQ,
Your thoughts.
Richard

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>In Pro classification, they shoudn't be able to collect any
>points after they DNF and start at the back of the pro
>cluster.

Dunno what you mean by "the back of the pro cluster." They would start - at the direction of the steward - where their speed factor places them...it's a safety thing. Some competitors claim that this allows someone NOT COMPETING to tear up the roads more and presents the possibility of this car doing something that would delay those REAL COMPETITORS behind them. Just delivering the message...

Organizers make them enter the second ClubRally because they typically need the money. Also, it's rather an administrative nightmare having several cars in the mix that aren't really competing.
Do you allow these guys full 30 minute MPL, thus delaying the rally?

There has been an ongoing discussion as to whether insurance allows us to do this. I'm not sure what the present stance is.

Bruce

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Dave wants a straight DQ,
>Your thoughts.
>Richard

Without a doubt in my mind, disqualification is the only reward appropriate for that eventuality. We've already diluted the endurance nature of the sport by limiting if not eliminating night stages and spreading out ProRally events to two-day sprints that offer too many opportunities to service. Any roads that are rough enough to cause a driver to think about lifting to save the car for a finish are so loudly ridiculed (up to and including threatening future boycotts) that the roads (if not the entire event) disappear(s) completely. Speed factors offer a team the instant gratification of rewarding the kind of risk-taking (or misrepresentation of submitted scores) that would not even be considered if finishing an event was any kind of priority. We're effectively offering teams lacking the disposable time and money needed to vie for a national ProRally title other undefined, but otherwise valued, 'rewards' that are all too often won using nothing more than abundant horsepower and traction to reduce the challenges of a stage to a series of inter-connected gravel dragstrips (check out the spectator and marshall comments elsewhere about how few cars are fun to watch in the corners these days). So now we want to offer someone the ability to start a rally knowing they have a DNF mulligan in hand and, maybe worse, let them loose after cashing that chip in to try and make up the time lost after being scored with the route book's bogey time? Oh, and that doesn't even address the fact that the assigned stage time pretty much automatically becomes the slow stage thrown out for speed factor calculations, leading those computations even further askew.

Nope, thanks. Not finishing a stage needs to eqaul not finishing the rally. Period.

So, if you're asking yourself what brought on this particular rant I'll readily admit it's been building for a while. Someone, somewhere, mentioned how rallying ain't mamby-pamby road racing, and while I've made that very point to many of my road race buddies I'm equally convinced that compared to the earlier days of our sport today's performance rallies are quite mamby-pamby and entirely too focused on the attainment of speed at the cost of all other facets of rallycraft. I'm not saying we should revert to all the 'old days ways' but I'd sure like to see a return of some aspects of the series that created the best drivers this country has ever seen, especially since a group of them are still more than holding their own against and/or vanquishing their contemporary competition.

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
While I'm not as adamant about it as Mike, I have to lament the passing of some of the endurance qualities rally used to have...and this would erode it further. I would certainly not care for letting PRO entrants reenter after a DNF...although entering a later ClubRally may be a necessary evil for the organizers' pocketbook.

In CLUBRALLY, I might be persuaded that seat time is important for Clubbies, and a well thought-out SAFE method might be devised to let someone who goes off without much damage reenter later. I'd suggest it might be at the discretion of the event steward, to eliminate the real lunatics.

Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts