Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go check out http://speedtv.com/commentary/18939/

Herein Bill Woods describes the difference between Rally America and NASA as NASA putting the emphasis on the event and RA putting the emphasis on the championship.

As an organizer, I feel this is the exact opposite of the two organizations. After all, NASA took the United States Rally Championship title before RA could even get organized. And NASA organized east and west coast championships way back in the SCCA days. RA called me as an organizer before NASA did.

That said, I want to compete and organize with the people of both groups. Notice I said the people of and not the groups. Which marketing plan will prove best for all of us is yet to be determined.

Richard Miller
Rallye de Paris

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
From the article:
"John Buffum, has always said it?s a mistake to seek U.S. validation through Europe and the WRC. He?d rather build a U.S. championship that would stand on its own with its own stars."

Surprise, surprise.... No one sought my opinion for the article, but here it is:
If U.S. rally wants to make its mark on the world stage it should be done with hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>From the article:
>"John Buffum, has always said it?s a mistake to seek U.S.
>validation through Europe and the WRC. He?d rather build a
>U.S. championship that would stand on its own with its own
>stars."
>
>
>
>Surprise, surprise.... No one sought my opinion for the
>article, but here it is:
>If U.S. rally wants to make its mark on the world stage it
>should be done with hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles.
>
>

Yeah! Bring back the Mobilgas Economy Run! If it was good enough for Gene Henderson and Scott Harvey, it's good enough for us....NOT

·
Registered
298 Posts
After reading the referenced article, I'm struck by the fact that it purports to "compare" the two series, and then proceeds to run as an almost "informercial" for the USRC with no substance at all with regards to Rally America.

This is one of those things I like to call "Piss Poor Reporting". If you're trying to tell the reader about both sides, at least provide balanced information from both viewpoints.. this thing doesn't even attempt to give equal attention.

Brad

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Brad said:
>This is one of those things I like to call "Piss Poor
>Reporting". If you're trying to tell the reader about both
>sides, at least provide balanced information from both
>viewpoints.. this thing doesn't even attempt to give equal
>attention.

So you're saying that it's as good as anything else in the mainstream media?

*grin*

But also: *sigh*

I was watching the local news, and every story was 12 seconds long. (I was watching the clock next to the tv.)
"two dead in drive by shooting..." 12 seconds
"prime minister blair said something... " 12 seconds
"new study shows babies born in the winter tend to be good dancers... " 12 seconds
"contaigous death plauge sweeps city..." 12 seconds

Amazing. But this is all way off topic for this thread. Sorry.

Anders

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
take it for what it is.

The author clearly went to Rim of the World and really only talked to people there. Since it was a NASA event, the information on the Rally America series is sparse.

Not a single quote from anyone associated with Rally America.

Maybe it's not purposely biased, but it's certainly not balanced.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Hmm, some good points and some big misses. I like how he conviently omits that Stig is running RA, not USRC. Could it be because RA is no longer on Speed?

BTW, OLN just a signed a deal to show the NHL, which should bring a spotlight to the network. I don't see how this can be bad.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
239 Posts
>After reading the referenced article, I'm struck by the fact
>that it purports to "compare" the two series, and then
>proceeds to run as an almost "informercial" for the USRC with
>no substance at all with regards to Rally America.
>
>This is one of those things I like to call "Piss Poor
>Reporting". If you're trying to tell the reader about both
>sides, at least provide balanced information from both
>viewpoints.. this thing doesn't even attempt to give equal
>attention.
>
>Brad

The article only compares the series in one sense, how they view their own events. This comparison is not the scope of the article.

Don't miss the big picture, which is survival of the sport.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
>
>take it for what it is.
>
>The author clearly went to Rim of the World and really only
>talked to people there. Since it was a NASA event, the
>information on the Rally America series is sparse.
>
>Not a single quote from anyone associated with Rally America.
>
>Maybe it's not purposely biased, but it's certainly not
>balanced.

Problem with that is how many people do you supposed will read that piece that don't know enough about rally to really pick up on the fact that the series are about on equal footing? The perception that is easily concieved with regards to the content of the article is not only that Rally America coverage is sparse and potentially unduly absent but that the USRC may be so much bigger and therefore important and that RallyAmerica is small potatoes in comparison.

Most people instead of picking up on a lack of overall reporting will instead percieve a lack of research/representation of a group within a story to mean that the group is either lesser or is lacking the level of awareness or structure to be covered.

There appeared to be a decent amount of coverage that regretfully showed superficial research.

Instead of noting that most of the NASA organizers and infastructure was in place before the departure of the SCCA due in large part to dissatisfaction for the SCCA and or incredibly unfortunate experiences with the SCC. It appears to a laymen that NASA sprung out of the SCCA departure because good organizers didn't beleive in RallyAmerica (and yes I had my non motorsport and certainly rally savy father read this to validate this obersvation before I shared these feelings with him). This is by and large untrue. While there are events that have gone to NASA because they feel NASA is a better fit for them as a sanctioning body, NASA RallySport did not spur from a lack of faith in RallyAmerica.

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Woods, for he has more years as a working professional than I, but this was some shoddy reporting covered up by the fact that it was in the commentary/editorial section. Very poorly reserached, very superficial, and very biased while making a clear attempt to appear as legitimate reporting.

I am disapointed in this article.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
"It is a help this year to have two international headliners, Stig Blomquist and car builder David Sutton, running the 2005 Rally America series."

but he follows this with: "Their names bring European attention since Blomquist is a former WRC champion and Sutton is the only privateer to win a WRC title." which would seem like a good thing until

following immediately with this: "The most successful rally driver in American history, John Buffum, has always said it?s a mistake to seek U.S. validation through Europe and the WRC. He?d rather build a U.S. championship that would stand on its own with its own stars. I?m coming around to that belief"

I have expressed my feelings and do not want to further comment on the work of Mr. Wood with regards to the article.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As the saying goes bad press is better than no press, and that really was pretty decent. The bias was because it as a story about the USRC. As long as Bill Wood is filling the commentary pages with articles about rally, support his writing. I'm not sure what he was saying noone has an appetite for, but I'll tell you what I do have an appetite for, did you see the preview for Super Cross the movie? Thoes chicks are hot! :eek:

·
Registered
239 Posts
>Hmm, some good points and some big misses. I like how he
>conviently omits that Stig is running RA, not USRC. Could it
>be because RA is no longer on Speed?
>
>BTW, OLN just a signed a deal to show the NHL, which should
>bring a spotlight to the network. I don't see how this can be
>bad.
>
>Dennis Martin
>[email protected]
>920-432-4845

???

"It is a help this year to have two international headliners, Stig Blomquist and car builder David Sutton, running the 2005 Rally America series. Their names bring European attention since Blomquist is a former WRC champion and Sutton is the only privateer to win a WRC title"

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
VIP treatment from RA isn't going to really happen when the reporter is attending a NASA event.

His photo is from Rim. He took it himself, so he was obviously there since it's close to LA. And he obviously talked to the NASA folks while he was wandering around with his press pass.

A Smart Rally America would invite him up to LSPR or Ojibwe.

I get a good chuckle about the part ....enjoyed organizing SCCA events so much, they started doing it on their own....

must have been edited from "tired of butting heads with an organization they felt stifled their promotional objectives"

·
Registered
239 Posts
>I get a good chuckle about the part ....enjoyed organizing
>SCCA events so much, they started doing it on their own....
>
>must have been edited from "tired of butting heads with an
>organization they felt stifled their promotional objectives"
>
>

I read that part differently, as in '...these guys enjoyed it so much, that now that the SCCA is done with rally, they are doing it on their own.'

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
I'm with Matt, anything that mentions there's a sport of rally is good.

Next, it's in the "commentary" section which, to me, would make it an opinion, not reporting.

Lastly, I knew the subjects he was talking about but couldn't follow any thread of reasoning or purpose, Maybe on the third read I'll get it.

rz

Matt, where's my TV check? TV's $100 right?
Speaking of TV, ACP's rally segment of the new international hit, "War of the Wheels" has been nearly completed. All that remains is the racing challenge and the final determination of who wins. Along with a LOT of editing to make it 47 minutes of great TV.
Do we all get a $100 when that airs?

rz again

1 - 20 of 38 Posts