Special Stage Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Ken Block recently made a video of what claims to be his exercise regimen. A bit of a commercial, but what do you expect from the MWRT marketing juggernaut? Even if it's contrived it's still good stuff. "...Core strength exercises combined with coordination and multi-tasking to stay on top both physically and mentally behind the wheel."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4RK9SMFSY8

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Jeremy, Ken's work looks good-saw that when it came out. Functional/core strength is where it's at. I'm currently working with my trainer on a new program for this season. We're working on doing some sustained heart rate training that is all core/functional. Been using the TRX, kettlebells and some cycling for the past season. Mt. Washington will be 7-8 minutes of max heart rate!

·
ITURNRT
2,061 Posts
I've seen stuff like this used with F1 drivers to test reaction times.

http://youtu.be/1_B5fqBRUSM

I just need to get my lazy bum on a bike and in the pool this summer with low weight, high rep training for endurance on the arms and legs.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Lots of good info here, folks, glad to see this old thread revived!

As for me: I've been doing a lot of core work, and of course continuing my cycling. It helps that my commute is all surface roads and 5 miles, the short way, so I can get a good workout in while commuting by bike.

This year I'm working on upper body, the Acura really requires a driver with strong arms to hang on (for dear life ha ha), so I'm working on that more.

I still like molasses cookies while rallying, though. :)

·
Shotgun!
473 Posts
One Word - Crossfit!!!

check it out on the web - I guarantee you will never be more fit in your life.
Marie
+1

My wife is a Crossfit NUT! she goes 3 times (or more) a week and within the first 6mths able to kick my ass at will.

One thing to be aware of, if you start to crossfit you will be torn down and feel as though a military Boot Camp would be a nice holiday away from the pain. BUT after that you will come out of it stronger than you EVER have been before.

Sports training is usually very focused on very specific items of the task at hand. Example would be a weight lifter works on strength, but typically their endurance is very low. The opposite is true for a runner. With Crossfit the athletes are very well rounded. Example is a Crossfit guy ONLY did prescribed workouts and did not train for any running. He then went out and ran 80miles...without EVER doing any long distance running in his life.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Okay, so I didn't watch the video........

Where do his drug dealer sponsers fit into his exercise routine?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just got the book "Motorsport Fitness Manual" this afternoon in the mail from Amazon.com ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1844255433 ). I was expecting a really good manual on just exercise regimen and dieting, but this book is great. It contains details on how to work and prepare yourself in aspects such as flexibility, spirit, weight-loss and nutrition, and even emergency care in accidents.

I've read the first two chapters thus far and find it highly informative (as do my lab partners who've spent the past 20 minutes perusing the chapter that contains a list of yummy foods and some recipes to make them).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Yes the motorsports fitness manual is an awesome book. I used it a bit before rally Idaho last year. after the last super special stage i was ready for a game of pick up basketball. i felt great wasn't tired in the slightest. :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Bottom line is that we spend long periods of time in the car at max heart rate. We also get the crap beat out of us. The, "rally hangover," that our team refers to in posts isn't due to drinking(usually)-it's due to the physical abuse we take and how bad we feel Sunday AM when we wake.

Any functional program is great-P90X, Crossfit, TRX, Tacfit, etc, etc. These are usually programs that increase core strength while keeping your heart rate high.

Ken's video shows some great work with mental work done while under physical pressure. I've heard some military training utilizes similar techniques.

The other pieces of the puzzle on event is hydration and proper nutrition. We've focused on this as a team over the last couple seasons. Anyone else notice the increase in driver errors due to brain fade at the end of a 12 hour day in the car? I'd wager the risk of error increases exponentially with the increase in fatigue. You push that threshold back a bit with good fitness, nutrition and hydration.

The work to get there isn't always fun(but it can be) and definitely not easy, but it's in investment in youself.

I know that Ken, Antoine and myself have regular fitness routines. I know there are a lot of cyclists in our sport, which is great for stamina. I'm sure there are other people out there doing stuff-would love to hear from more folks what they're doing.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
....Anyone else notice the increase in driver errors due to brain fade at the end of a 12 hour day in the car? I'd wager the risk of error increases exponentially with the increase in fatigue.....

12 hours? You kids. In the good ol' days we ran 24 hours (not including driving to the rally and back home).

As for exercise.... I used to smoke on transits (was too busy on stage to smoke). Not that I recomend smoking, but back then we smoked in offices (General Motors) and damn near anywhere (something like the energy drinks now).

Actually I agree fitness should be a significant part of team preparation. However, I have a REAL issue with drug dealers (energy drink companies) paying rallyists and these same rallyists making exercise videos.

·
R6+ / Cr, Sheeps Maybe
305 Posts
I know that Ken, Antoine and myself have regular fitness routines. I know there are a lot of cyclists in our sport, which is great for stamina. I'm sure there are other people out there doing stuff-would love to hear from more folks what they're doing.
Doesn't Antoine run/manage a gym in Quebec?

12 hours? You kids. In the good ol' days we ran 24 hours (not including driving to the rally and back home).

This year I did my first nav rally. Being a sucker for punishment I did a night rally (left home around 17:00 and got back home about 12:00) in the dead of winter. I found it was mentally draining at first but soon realized that the seat bolsters cutting into my sides during the constant sliding takes a toll. I can't imagine what a full day/multi-day rally at max attack does to the mind and body.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've seen stuff like this used with F1 drivers to test reaction times.

http://youtu.be/1_B5fqBRUSM

I just need to get my lazy bum on a bike and in the pool this summer with low weight, high rep training for endurance on the arms and legs.
+1 on biking. I usually try to ride at least once per week during the summer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am all about fitness as well. I work in a bike shop so I am surrounded by it...

But being the devils advocate here (because I don't drink or smoke at all) but doesn't Loeb smoke? I think there was a video of recce on a WRC round last year where Loeb and another top driver (Ogier maybe?) were smoking. Is it me or is there a touch of irony there?

41 - 60 of 85 Posts