Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Because the dust is settling on the previous thread and I just seem to like my name splattered all over...
Remember this message on the forum?

"
04-24-02, 03:19 PM (PST)
"Visual I.D."

The 2002 visual identification package will be enforced at Rim of the World Pro Rally. You will not be allowed to tech without compliance. The guidelines are very clear and must be followed. Protected space at the front of the door is minimum 8" and maximum of 10". The Club/Pro car number must agree with the Club/Pro Backer. Sponsor decals, flags, and name fonts will all be checked. If you need to order any parts of the kit, do it early.
Doug

"
take a look at this picture...
http://www.randyzimmer.com/video/rim2002/wheres the flags and names.jpg
-------
not a photoshop job either.
rz

________
vaporgenie vaporizer

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi RZ,

I only got part of the picture before it stopped downloading. I saw the Pro WS header versus Club number backer mismatch which has happended before; and no names. (Were the side windows out?) Is this an important person who was not challenged?

Mark B.

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, since you weren't there, I'll help out some.
I noticed the names missing at parc and never said anything, I just noted it. I looked around and Knight Racing had a tent set up in the manufacturer's row and their trailer had a sticker on it advertising a sticker sponsor. The organizers had a sticker-maker set up in the registration room too so not having them was kinda wierd but I didn't really care - it didn't make the car go faster and the Trinters ended up doing a great job. I just feel the need to needle the guys (as a group) who throw out threats and don't follow through and then come down forcefully without warning, if you know what I mean.
rz
(I just noticed the missing Hawk Brake sticker too)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Thought that was the point. We should go around Parc Ferme/Expose and let all the air out of all 4 tires of any car not complying with the decals package; that seesm very in proportion to your experience. Marketing vigilantes!

Me :)

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
is it too late to DQ these scoff-laws!?

Randy, before you go denigrating the hard working work of the hard working officals who work hard at crafting Official announcements, you might check you facts and the logic of the photo you yourself posted! Isn't that proof enough!
why these shifty Canadians slip across the border and they they melt into big city only to appear and obviously FLAUNT our rules, that is just the sort of thing which calls for the so called 'threat' as you call it!
Why, when you're busy heaving bricks of ka-ka around in a glass outhouse, don't you pause to think what would happen if people _DIDN'T_ have the exact same FONTS! huh? HUH? HUUUUH!!??

Exactly!! This is what happens, and the entire event is ruined, and all because you posted this picture. I have to question your verisimilitudinal sincereity in the posting of this photo. Your event was ruined by your percieved unimaginable transgression, so you now have to tear down the hard work of the entire series, indeed the entire history of SCCA PRO Rally.

These so called 'Canajians' probably created a disturbance by complaining loudly about the undrinkable p*** beer down here, and why there wasn't any ice cold Kokanees at scrutineering, and then in the ensuing melee, slipped the offensive car through while the scrutineers were distractedly looking for beer for them.
Or are you insinuating a more sinster situation?

While this car may have done incalcuable damage to the prestige of the series which could take years to rebuild hard working stone by stone, the mere suggestion that there might be un-equal, preferential treatment by the officals is 'ispo post facto' proof that you have an unsportsman like attitude, and that you are a bad person.

While it may get me thrown off the board, it's a risk I'll take when I call for the punishment which should be applied:

BAILLIFF! Whack his P*!

All this is of course only in my opinion.

John Vanlandingham

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: is it too late to DQ these scoff-laws!?

John, I'm not really sure of what you wrote but I'm still laughing.
---------
I just found out Havas is a closet Canadian!
That explains a lot!
Do you think THEY know I live very close to the border, have a Tim Horton's on my street corner and a fridge full of Labatt?
rz

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

yeah, I had him and his equally nearly red Brother Chris pegged as troublemakers when I met up with Andrew more up in Quebec than down here.
Ever notice that all those Canajians act like furriners when you really get to know them.
They even print their own money, and they are the single largest investors in the bond market here in the USA.

What's their ultimate goal is what I want to know. Awfully big country up there, and awfully _porous_ borders. Hmmmmmm.

And who has my Shell Rotella-T touque I got in Pincher Creek in '87?
John Lane? Derek?

CMA licence in 1970
CSAC licence in 1988, and CARS 1996

Spiritual half canajian, half flemo-Hispanic.

John Vanlandingham

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts

>John, I'm not really sure of what you wrote...

I have to admit, most of the time I can't understand anything you write John. I must be a complete dolt.

:+ Jim :+

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts

>Ever notice that all those Canajians act like furriners when
>you really get to know them.
>They even print their own money, and they are the single
>largest investors in the bond market here in the USA.
>
>What's their ultimate goal is what I want to know. Awfully
>big country up there, and awfully _porous_ borders. Hmmmmmm.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you... ;-)

Ben

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

What? et tu Jim?
I slave away over a hot key board for hours and you say you can't understand, it's enought to make you really Angry!
That's it!!
That should become my new name! ANGRY JOHN.
yeah that has a ring to it.

Now more sublte allusions on the one hand or straight talk in a normal conversational tone on the other!
Now I can assume the mantle of righteous indignation!

It was once said that:
religion is the opiate of the masses, and
revolution is the opiate of the intellectuals and now we add
Indignation is the opiate of the white male americans!

So i vow to attempt to add nothing to any discussion but be ever alert for any and all percieved slights against every body, all the time. And to scold them harshly.

Ooops somebody gonna call the shop stewards, and shout Demarcation!
Steppin over the line into somebody else territory. OOOoops.

Sorry!

PS Jim you could always ask.
Ever find a starter XR?

John Vanlandingham

·
straight at T
647 Posts
They didn't buy the car, they were "hired", so to speak, to drive the car. Good decision by the Rythers I say, the Trinders are good people and Scott is a good and often overlooked driver.

All comedic Canadian slandering aside, I think the point has gone somewhat astray. I don't think Randy's whistle blowing in this instance is directed at the Trinders or Knight Racing. Quite the contrary, it appears that the SCCA's Ministry of Official Sticker Compliance and the Organizer's threats to not allow anyone to pass tech without exact to the millimeter sticker placement was a complete bluff and a sham. Either that or there was not equal enforcement of "The Rules!" (Like that would ever happen;) ) Was anyone else given any hassles about sticker placement at Rim? It would be interesting to know if some people were made to redo incorrectly located stickers before being teched while others were obviously allowed to do the whole rally with major decal violations.
Shouldn't they have been kicked out of the rally? Isn't that the new penalty for anything the officials don't like? (Oh, except for Manufacturer teams, of course...)

-DC

·
straight at T
647 Posts

>>John, I'm not really sure of what you wrote...
>
>I have to admit, most of the time I can't understand
>anything you write John. I must be a complete dolt.
>
>:+ Jim :+

Jim & Randy (and I'm sure a whole host of others), perhaps because I've been a willing and sometimes not so willing audience to his sometimes self indulgent but usually enteraining diatribes for the past 16 years or so I no longer have any trouble understanding John. (OK, maybe sometimes, but in those cases I usually pretend I understand so I can get off the phone or get home sooner.) I suppose by virtue of my prolonged exposure I've been able to figure out how he thinks a little bit. So don't feel too bad, you guys, like any complex skill it takes some time and practice to master.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dammit, John!x( Here we go again... "V"..."V"... ah, here it is... "verisimilitudinal" ..."the quality of appearing to be true or real." :-( Ok, another one out of the way!:) Did you and Mark go to the same college? Are you two trying to raise the collective I.Q. our our little group single-handedly? Your attempt to...to..."discombobulate" (yeah, that will work!) Randy's point may have been foiled by my trusty "American Heritage College Dictionary"! (oops, "third edition" ) :7

Carlos

P.s. in view of all the "excrescent" evidence being presented, I propose we stop the "necrophagia" on this issue, "recant" the results, and re-run the event, say... this friday? :p

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts

>Ever find a starter XR?

Nope. Guess I have bad luck, or I am too lazy to go out of the metro area to drag one home.

;)

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I must apologize to anyone and most notably to the SCCA for MY infringement. Car prep is ultimately MY JOB and to be honest I completely missed it, heck,I had all that was required in the Semi.
That I didn't put them on is simply too many things to do,like Rhys we installed the engine only right before the race.
Also it was to be painted green like the other car, all that got painted was the tail, I pulled it from paint to prep further.
I did not go to tech I was busy working on Lons car (to no avail, battery one lost a cell and became a blackhole that all the alternators efforts went into, i.e. he ran out of juice), so as I can make no asssumption as to why we passed Tech. Last year we grabbed all the wrong fire extinguishers (no labels some had plastic tops). We had to buy all new ones and present them at Parc Expose.
But I'm getting off subject here.
Thanks Randy Z for bringing this to my attention as I really hadn't noticed it before. And thanks for picking on me....and showing what I missed.....and posting pictures of my 3% painted car....and and and
Flame me it's my job and I didn't even get to race....
PS great job Scott and Bob EH

Jon Ryther

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
John, I'm NOT picking on you, I could care less.
Great job on getting that car out there against all odds.
I just was needling the tough-guy approach to competitor relations, like we need to make the events more adversarial. The terrain is tough enough, why invent problems?
Just make sure those fonts match, OK?
rz

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Sticker enforcement

I don't want to say anything mean about the Canadians because they were so nice to use at Bighorn last weekend, but we got a major run-in with sticker "enforcement".

First, we had to put a CARS number backer over our ClubRally number backer, I believe primarily because CARS or the event had sold the space at the top and bottom of it. Next, we had to remove our "ClubRally" windscreen decal and install a replacement advertiser decal in its place. We are running three Canadian events back-to-back and I think I can pull the CARS number backer off of the SCCA one without damaging the SCCA one, so we just made the changes, but this whole thing bothers me.

There are CARS rules that allows US/SCCA cars to be run according to SCCA rules and SCCA cars can run in CARS events for out-of-division points. Why aren't there rules that acknowledge the different visual identification packages and allows competitors to run without having to completely re-sticker their car between events?

alan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts