Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please make your reservations at the Super 8 in Quartzsite ASAP if you plan on attending the rally in any way. Phone 928.927.8080 and speak with Richard Tran, the owner. He'll give you the rally discount, but only if you mention the rally. You can also visit their website at: http://www.the.super8.com/quartzsite10393

The next closest motel is the Best Western at the Flying J in Ehrenberg 15 miles away, and we don't have an event discount worked out with them. Their phone is 928-923-9711.

www.desertstormrally.com

[hr]
CP
[hr]

·
Registered
706 Posts
Maybe I'm alone here, but I find the name of this rally pretty offensive. I mean, to name an event where people go out and play in their expensive toys and have fun after a military operation where many people lost their lives seems pretty tacky. What's next, the Tet Offensive TSD?

Skye

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lighten up. First of all, it's IN the desert IN the springtime when we get a good portion of our rain for the season. Second, it's on a military proving ground, which makes the name further fitting. It's named, in part, in HONOR of my brothers who gave their lives in service of their country. Third, I didn't name the event to please you or anyone else. You don't have to attend the event if you're so "offended" by it. Too bad.

How come you're not offended by "Wild West" or "Oregon Trail"? People died during those times, too. At least be consistent.

Why do you people have to politicize everything?

[hr]
CP
[hr]

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Lighten up.

Second, it's on a military proving ground, which
>makes the name further fitting. It's named, in part, in
>HONOR of my brothers who gave their lives in service of
>their country. Third, I didn't name the event to please you
>or anyone else. You don't have to attend the event if
>you're so "offended" by it. Too bad.

>
>How come you're not offended by "Wild West" or "Oregon
>Trail"? People died during those times, too. At least be
>consistent.
>
>Why do you people have to politicize everything?

Chris, if you stop thumping your chest for a second, and reflect on your own words, you might possibly see that it was YOU who by choosing the name chose to politicize it.
I think the name sucks big time and if I were somehow forced to live in the area, god forbid, I would choose not to attend strictly for the name.

The name Wild West does not imply anything but a reference to the area and the idea of excitement.
Oregon Trail did bring a lot of settlers into the area up here, and the bulk of the white folks back then in those cruder times probably believed in the concept of a 'manifest destiny' and the idea of the racial superiorty and supremacy of the white race.
But the Trail itself and the name is not controversial.

And I wonder who you are refering to when you say 'you people'?

Is the theme carried thru in the stage names?

And the guys who died in Desert Storm, died in service of another country, if I recall correctly, just like the poor guys who are dying now.

John "Cluster-bomb a Muslim for Christ" Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
115 Posts
>The name Wild West does not imply anything but a reference
>to the area and the idea of excitement.

Maybe, as a midwesterner, I'm simple. Maybe I just don't get how you folks way out there think. But, I've got to say, when I read this I wondered if you believe what you wrote.

If "Wild West" doesn't conjure up images of gun-toting, pistol packing, brothel visiting, native american killing bandits, then I don't know what does.

Get a grip. It's a name. Find something else to bitch about... not that I had to tell you that, anyway.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Odd, I was just wondering why the military finds it necessary to name its operations after a race. Now I have my opinions on the politics of war, but I would never think to express them in this forum, which I believe is devoted to U.S. Rally. There is an Off Topic forum.

USAF, 321 Strategic Missile Wing, SAC. Which unit did you say you were in?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts