Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we're taking the plunge. The 2004 Desert Storm Rally & Sprint is now open for entries. www.desertstormrally.com has the entry form available in PDF format and we are offering online entry fee payment through PayPal. Documents now availble include General Information and Event Schedule. Supplementals are always in process, but please don't expect a final release of them for another 6 weeks or so.

There are three options to enter:

The first is the Sprint Only option for $125. The Sprint is only 12.5 stage miles over two stages, so once you're done, you're done. Great for CRS Rally Sprint Championship points, but not much seat time. The first two stages of the Rally are the Sprint. If you enter both as described below, your first two stages count in both the Rally and the Sprint. Co-drivers are required at this event for both Rally & Sprint competitors.

The second option is the Rally Only, cost is $250. As you may know, this is a non-points paying rally, so it's great for rookies, shakedown of a new car, lots of seat time, training a new co-driver, training a new driver, getting some exposure for your sponsors, and to see these awesome roads! We currently have about 51 stage miles for the rally, so it's the equivalent of a hefty C2.

The third and final option is to enter the Rally & Sprint for $300. The advantage to entering both as a Sprint competitor is that you just get more seat time, plain and simple. If you choose only the Sprint above, your day will be over after the second stage. Pay $175 more and get over 4 times the stage miles!

Rally competitors, as much as we want your money, we would like to encourage you to avoid entering the Rally & Sprint unless you are truly setting out to run the entire CRS Sprint Championship in 2004. Entering this Sprint and no subsequent Sprints could jeopardize championships for others who are serious about it. Let's show some sportsmanship about it, please.

[hr]
CP
[hr]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any info on what the roads will be like on this rally ??? Thinking about running it . And the link on the " stage info " will not work for me? Thanks

David

Hazardous Toy inc

·
The Scorpion King
679 Posts
Here are the stage descriptions from the link:

Moon Mountain
Starting in the city limits of Quartzsite at an elevation of 843' and finishing at 725' (SS1 and the opposite for
SS2), Moon Mountain is easily one of the more fun stages in this event. Its compactness and combination
of some fast and some very technical for the last 2 miles or so make a great candidate for a Rally Sprint,
and that is why the first two stages of the Desert Storm Rally are also simultaneously scored as the Desert
Storm Rally Sprint. Road surface is smooth dirt, gravel and some sandy areas where it runs through
washes.

Cibola Lake 1 & 2
This stage and Cibola Lake 2 take place entirely on the Army's Yuma Proving Ground testing facility. The
stages meander through the South Trigo Mountains and the road ends at the Colorado River. Elevation
range for these two stages is 554' to 1345'. Stage is very fast in some short bursts, but can be very tricky
and technical in other areas. Both are very fun stages. Surfaces range from soft and sandy in a few areas
to hard packed dirt and gravel in most. Road is well maintained and is wide and smooth in most sections.

Cibola Road
Cibola Road would connect up with Cibola Lake Road on YPG, but it is impassible for rally cars, therefore it
must be a turn-around stage, but it is too fun to reject. Starting at a gravel quarry near the town of
Ehrenberg, this is a stage that, if you lose concentration can get you into trouble. Fast and loose in some
areas, tight and technical in others. Elevations range from 413' to 652'. Road surface is gravel, with rocks
in one short downhill area.

Chris and I independently came up with similar descriptions, so they are probably pretty accurate.

--
John

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, word spreads fast. We are currently working with both to try and determine which, so I am not willing to say which at the moment. If you're concerned about rules and car building, at this point, if you build for one it will pass the other. More details to come.

[hr]
CP
[hr]

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Chris:

My questions had nothing to do with any news, or car preparation.

The reason for my inquiry is to plan out which championship I want to run in 2004.

SCCA has a SOPAC Club Rally Championship, if your event is santioned by them (SCCA) then it would become a "must attend" rally for that championship.

Since there is no NASA rally championship, if your event is santioned by NASA then this rally is a "for fun event only", and maybe a shake down for the new season.

The sooner you let us know who the sanctioning body will be, the sooner we can make our decisions, and plan what car / class to enter, and also get the appropiate co-driver for a shot at another championship, or just have my girlfriend navigate for fun.

Let us know

Tony Chavez

·
Registered
672 Posts
Tony,
You are correct that there is no exclusively NASA RallySport West Championship. This is because the Western States has several excellent championships already with the Western States Rally Championship and the California Rally Championship. Each of these include several NASA RallySport events (Treeline, Gorman, Prescott, and perhaps John Dillon's RallySprint, and Desert Storm). NASA RallySport West's goal is to support these existing championships rather than competing with, or detracting from, them. Desert Storm is not yet a Championship event for the CRS and I think this may be what you are pointing out. I just wanted to clarify the goals of NASA RallySport West.

SOPAC currently has Seed 9 Rally Sprint and the Rim of the World Club Rallies.

NASA RallySprot East has filed the void in the right side of the country by creating their own version of the Western States Rally Championship and they seem to be off to a good start.

I have been working with Chris and encouraged him to seek the sanction that will work best for his new event. I know Sue and the SCCA are doing the same. What works well for his first time event might not best serve another event. Isn't the opportunity for freedom of choice great!

Ray Hocker

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ray:

Thank you for your very informative response.

I understand how many NASA events are in the CRS championship, nothng to debate here. I also understand that whoever earns more points on these NASA events, will be a champion, just not a NASA champion, even though NASA happens to sanction most of the CRS events.

The 2004 SCCA SOPAC ClubRally Championship only consists of the Seed 9 Rallysprint, and the 2 Club Rallies at Rim. Because we have so few events for this particular championship, having a new one added will have a significant impact in the championship (one event = 25%).

With less than 60 days to go for the initial running of a new event, I think it would be fair to the competitors, to let them now if we need to bring all the guns out, or just come out for fun.

I will see all tomorrow night.

Tony Chavez

1 - 10 of 10 Posts