Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having two rallies with no issues, it was time.
Shindle and I just went to Defi this past weekend and could have finished 4th OA (as could a bunch of others but...).
We got a flat on the second last stage and the tire wrapped itself around the suspension making it a chore to remove.
It wouldn't have been so bad if I'd just stopped earlier but I wasn't there to finish,
I wanted to be top three (couldn't have happened, but I was hopeful) and stopping to change it would kill that chance.
I didn't check the wheel myself but strapped in and drove to the finish.
We just made time by two seconds and dropped right back into our regular starting spot so there was no time to check it again.
8km in, the new wheel took off along with the wheel studs and I didn't get the studs off the right side to fix the left before we were out of time.
The good news is that the transplant worked and we drove the car back and didn't need to wear out the trailer on the stage.
---
So, I didn't do my DNF record any favors but I still don't have a DNF I can blame on the car or the car's prep.
All my DNFs are driver errors of one type or another and I take the blame for them all.
---
Up till the flat, I really enjoyed the rally, meeting some new friends and getting emmersed in the whole PQ rally experience. After the flat, I realized I hate this stupid rally.
Last year I left a nut loose on the LR and the suspension fell off on the last stage. This year the flat was on the LR again and I'm getting pretty tired of the corner goofing up. Come to think of it, thats the corner that hit the bridge at Baie and bounced off the rock on B2 earlier in the day (you know the huge ones on either side of the driveway near the start on a R3?)
Its about time to get the navigator's side more involved in the event and give the LR a rest.
---
movies at www.randyzimmer.com
---
What's your story?
rz

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well running back ther in P1 we had some stories too.... A few which I would only sheepishly admit to... including realizing late before scrutineering that our back-up lights weren't working, and getting very frustrated, mad, and obnoxious trying to fix it....

Friday nights stages were great... no complaints first night stage, and the bouncing lights were under control...

Saturday morning stage got off to a good start, and caught a glimps of the car in front, before watersplash after watersplash finally caught up to those three plug wires and left us parked, monmentarily (check CRC-rally.com for the pic of me and spectator pushing car out of the way of upcoming traffic... very funny)

really long service left me paying more attention to our club mates car, with the suspension poking up through the towers... helping them and not listening to my co-driver who kept saying..."I think the rad is leaking a bit..." 25K into B4 the heater core couldn't take the pressure any more of running in the red, and poof we sprung a leak, which must have been quite a sight for spectators as we tried to finish the stage with steam rolling our the windows! (opps I wasn't supposed to say that I opened them... but we we down to about 30 K/hr so....) my first ride in sweep!

Lessons learned, listen to my co-driver off stage too, drive slower in little Justy when the Temp gauge is in the red, build a better skid plate, and pack more food/water!

Matt
88 Justy
1.2 L of pushing power

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Its about time to get the navigator's side more involved in
>the event and give the LR a rest.

Anyone looking for a codriver?

Shindle

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Nice one Dave!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well I was driving the #18 car. After setting 13th fastest time on the friday night stages we were pumped to give Labries and penasack a run for their money. (not too likely I know). We had had a lot of trouble making notes during the recce and were slow on the first stage saturday (MULET). On the second stage of the day (Lac Gagnon) we came over a R4 or so over crest and saw water on the corner exit. It didnt look so deep and we were carrying so much speed I decided to take it with the left wheels hitting the water. And man WAS IT DEEP. The wheel got ripped from my hands and the car spun 180 degrees to the road. We hit the berm on the right side of the car and started to roll. According to the 2 spectators (who by the way supplied us with "pop" while we sat and watched Lac Gagnon "2") we barrel rolled 3 times followed by once "end over end" landing miraculously on our wheels and unhurt. Thanks to Frank Sprongl for the cage which saved my life. Car is currently under reconstruction and we'll be back at it shortly. Hope to make it back to defi for 05 and drive those fantastic flowing well cambered roads. Cheers to everyone who helped us out.

Dave "better to burn out than it is to rust" Amor

·
"Go fast then bah bah bah"
222 Posts
This was a great event for us. I think some of the most memorable points where:

Friday Night -
1st Stage - Palomino 1 - Pretending I was Arie Vatinin at Pikes Peak by driving with one hand and shielding the sun from my eyes with other.

Saturday morning-

Leaving Papa New Guineas (not the right name but that is what we called it) and watching Vittorio trying to get the Foci started. Felt bad that we couldn't do anything to get him going.

Duhamel 1 - Pulling up to the start of a stage and seeing a line of cars at before the control including Richard. I shut down, got out and walked up to Dave Getchel and asked him if there was a delay (highly unusual for a Canadian event). He said nope Richard was waiting for his minute to enter. Then Getchel said "This is what happens when you run up in the Top 10 you wait for the first cars to enter control". Then it hit home about how well we where really doing.

Same stage - Guess that got to my head because we hit a shallow puddle and the car got a bit sideways to the left. We slid off the road up towards the spectator area but I kept my foot into and stayed in control. Thought we would make it through the off road excursion OK when we hit a good size rock with the right front. Kept the momentum going and got back on the road. Got back into the gas pretty heavy for a bit and then saw some smoke. So we pulled over and I took a look. We bent the control arm and pushed the tire into the wheel well. The smoke was the tire rubbing. Jumped back in and kept going hoping that the tire wouldn't let go.

Finish - pulling into the MTC at Duhamel after finishing all of the stages. Seeing the workers and everyone clapping and realizing that I got the Albatross off from around my neck. Defi was the first rally I ever ran in 2001. Steve Mckelvie and I ran it in the 86 Audi 4000 Quattro NA and we had just about everything that could go wrong go wrong. We ended the rally by sliding off the road on a 3right and hitting the front left pretty hard on a tree. The last two years I wasn't able to return so I had some major unfinished business there.

Last - My first podium with the car and the champaign. Nothing else to say about that.

Great event - great town (bringing the family with me next year) and a great time.

-Tim
Wazoo Racing

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Low point, converted to High point: Losing 3rd gear halfway thru one of best stages we've ever run, and having car stuck in 1st for transit back to service--luckily only 3.5 km. Magnetic drain plug was heaped with teeth and metallic shards--we were SURE we were done. Then discovering magic fix for busted gearbox: flush the chunks out with multiple fluid changes. Sounds like an obvious and almost incredibly simple tactic, but we finished another 50 stage km using 2nd and 4th of sick box.

High: The laser focus when you're running well is amazing. A couple of times, squirrels run out in front of us on hot stages--one made it across before we got there, the other we straddled. We both checked our mirrors going maybe 70 mph on a one-lane forest road..."Hey, no prob, he made it," and just kept flying.

High: Following rz's fresh tire tracks over the multiple crests of Lac Gagnon stage. It was like looking at ski tracks in powder over moguls--after each bump there were no tracks at all until the next set began. Then belatedly realizing that WE were doing exactly the same thing...

Low point, High point: Seeing rz changing a flat, shortly after making those incredible Lac Gagnon tracks. Then having him arrrive at next control in time to make his minute.

Low: Having rz and Shindle NOT make their minute at next control, after wheel stud failure put them out.

High: seeing annoyed look on Penasack's face when told he was gonna have to off-load his freshly trailered car after the race...WHY?? Cuz he had to drive it up next to us on the regional podium, thass why! Tim's smile coulda lit up a small city.

Low (well, not TOO low...): realizing after spraying champagne that we didn't have photos of the spectacle.

Merc bien, mes amis Quebecois, pour un rallye fantastique....Big Thanks to all who help make it so much fun to play in the woods up there.

Cheers,

Dave G

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
240 Posts
So for those who didn?t hear, after breakfast Saturday morning we went outside the Papa New Guineas Restaurant (I don?t remember the name either) and I jumped in the service truck and headed up the side street to turn around by the time I got back Vittorio was flagging us down car will not start. In a few minutes we had it down to no fuel pressure (nice to know the fuel sample port is good for something : ) Which means one of two things, fuel sending unit or fuel pump, focuses are notorious for either. Called the dealer they didn?t open until 8. Fortunately we had a large supply of parts in the form of a recce car back at the house se we took off to scavenge some parts. When we got back we realized the pump was slightly different 2002 zx3 vs 2004 se but we were able to try the Fuel sending unit, nope definitely pump. So the dealer was almost open so Vittorio took off to get parts as we finished taking out the pump. He returned with the pump shortly, fortunately it was right up the street, we go it in and running in less than 45 minutes after realizing it wouldn?t start but still didn?t make it to the start on time so a big DNS. All in all it wasn?t a bad place to have it happen though Ford dealer right up the street service crew right their but we still couldn?t make it happen. Maybe it was a good thing though with the car going to Toronto for the train from the event and all the attrition and all the cars that made it to the end but had problems we may have traded half an event for a whole one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts