Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the story behind McGeer not running Defi.
His car was obviously ready (pat drove it) and I know Pat's car went to Targa ... but as of the Sept 3 RDG press release it sounded like Tom was still planning on running Defi if the car was ready.
Sprongles??
Also - what happened to Erickson? Looks like some major problems on B4/5! He and Pat were running away from the pack and then ... Pat was all alone!
Any news at all from this event. the RDG site is lacking anything ... three days after the event!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Jud and Keith went straight (right after the cork was popped on the champagne ) to Targa Newfoundland, I am sure they are quite busy with that, so perhaps that is why there is no press release yet.

"Any news at all from this event. the RDG site is lacking anything ... three days after the event!"

Well it is not lacking anything, the photos are up:p

As far as I am aware, the CRC website makes no claims to be the source for timely rally information or results.(maybe I missed something?) I thought Jean-George Marcotte was responsible for that

Perhaps, your criticism should be pointed at the rallies own website?

Anyhow, from what I heard, Subaru decided at the last moment they wanted a car at Targa New Foundland instead of Defi, Tom could not get the time off to do it.

Sprongls motor went poof or something like that, before the event

Erickson: something went poof or something like that, on the penultimate stage

Anything else you want to know?;-)

·
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
>As far as I am aware, the CRC website makes no claims to be
>the source for timely rally information or results.(maybe I
>missed something?) I thought Jean-George Marcotte was
>responsible for that
Yes, you missed something ... from their front page:
"CRC-rally.com is your source for information on the series, the events and the competitors. Check back often for the latest news, photos, results and stats about the 2004 season"

J-G did provide timely stage scores and information. It is the stories that are lacking.

>Perhaps, your criticism should be pointed at the rallies own
>website?
I wasn't really critisizing. And having been involved in organising a national rally I not only know how much work it is, I also know how difficult it is to modify your plans when you realise that service providers are not providing the services they suggeted they would.

>Anyhow, from what I heard, Subaru decided at the last moment
>they wanted a car at Targa New Foundland instead of Defi,
>Tom could not get the time off to do it.
>Sprongls motor went poof or something like that, before the
>event
>Erickson: something went poof or something like that, on the
>penultimate stage

Thanks, and as always - great pix

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
RE: Defi mysteries, explained (OK--some, anyway...)

Various Defi tidbits, gathered on site:

Erickson's gearbox? Grenaded. We pulled up behind him at a couple controls, and his Evo sounded like it had rocks in the transmission. Sylvain was wearing a very long face on the last few stages and lost several minutes, but he was so freakin fast that he held on to second place anyway. He and Pat tied on a couple of stages, they were really going at it!

Sprongls? Someone in the know told me that when Thompson/Hendrickson are making a big effort (like they were at Defi), the Sprongls concentrate on their 4 Star thing and do their utmost to cover service needs.

Cheers,

Dave G
CoPilote and Keen Observer
Last Ditch Racing

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
RE: Defi mysteries, explained (OK--some, anyway...)

Just to add my probably inaccurate info.

I heard the Sprongls had their EVO engine rebuilt and the block or heads were not milled flat, causing the head gasket to fail on the dyno.

I'm assuming(and that's a dangerous thing!) that Subaru Canada wanted Pat to clinch the championship as soon as possible, thus putting Pat in Tom's new car. Pat's car went to Targa for the Paynters to drive in an attempt to win the event.

I'm sure that Tom very much wanted to race Defi and hopefully we'll see him at Tall Pines.

Cheers! John

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>Morgan,
>Respectfully, it's one word. Newfoundland. Been there 500
>years (I did 10).
>Craig

I did 0

Fixed it for you

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
As discussed in our email conversation, I contacted RDG and found out that they were unaware that the release and scores had not been posted and are following up on the problem

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Actually it was probably fist Vinland, thanks to Lief Erickson, and first colonised around 987. It is probable that the first European born in North America was born in Vinland - the son of Thorfinn Karlsefni, named Snorri.

Early English accounts of the 1600s call it the New-Founde-Land with hyphens. So Morgan has some history on his side.

ACP
Done 2 weeks or so.
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Andrew, does this mean that the TV show i part monster garage and part jeopardy?

·
Registered
233 Posts
>
>Actually it was probably fist Vinland, thanks to Lief
>Erickson, and first colonised around 987. It is probable
>that the first European born in North America was born in
>Vinland - the son of Thorfinn Karlsefni, named Snorri.
>
>Early English accounts of the 1600s call it the
>New-Founde-Land with hyphens. So Morgan has some history on
>his side.
>
>ACP
>Done 2 weeks or so.
>Flirting with the laws of physics.

Andrew, I know. The first smelted iron was made in Vinland, too, at L'anse aux Meadows. Not long after they smelted bog iron the Vikings (who didn't wear those horned-helmets at all) went quickly into brake drum castings. If we pretended we lived in the 1600's, we wouldn't be rallying. It's one word NOW. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts