Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to plan for future rallies and think I will run Defi as my 2nd gravel event and first Canadian event. What should I know about running a open car up in Canada? I was told that 34mm restrictor will be required and maybe some more things in my first-aid kit.

Do the regional entrants run the paved stages? If so how long are they? (I dont wanna buy pavment tires as tuition is due soon)

Thanks
Larry Parker

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
As a US competitor you have it a little easier, you're not required to take a first aid course like the CARS competitors. They will be checking restrictors, and as you said it's a different requirement than in the US. However, we once talked our way out of it and ran with a 40mm restrictor because we convinced them the car and driver were so un-competitive anyway :) (and proved it by finishing second-to-last.)

All the racers at Defi run the tarmac stages. There are two or three stages on Friday night (same road run multiple times.) Most people will be putting on tarmac tires. Don't bother, since you're not going to be competitive anyway. Just run some all seasons or street performance, whatever you happen to have for the car. When I ran last year the driver ran snow tires on the tarmac, go figure; not my choice but hey whatever works. If nothing else, use some "retired" rally tires, they have a surprising amount of grip on tarmac (better than snow tires, in my opinion.) There are services between the gravel and tarmac stages so you can do a tire swap. The road itself, if it's the same as last year, is narrow and bumpy, lots of frost heaves, classic tarmac rally road. Watch out for the utility pole at the end of one of the longer stretches, if they replaced it from last year :)

There are no tarmac stages on Saturday, as I recall. The regional entries have a 4 or 5 hour break in the middle of the day when the national entries are running. As with most rallies, the goal as a newer competitor is to survive Friday night, the best rallying is on Saturday.

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...... I will look further into the event as it looks as if Rally WV is cancelled...

Thanks
Larry

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Thanks for the info...... I will look further into the event
>as it looks as if Rally WV is cancelled...

The CARS rules allow SCCA-logbooked vehicles (with an SCCA-licensed crew) to be judged to the SCCA rules, with the exception on the restrictor (has to be 34mm). They will take an SCCA license at face value (ClubRally = Regional, ProRally = National). To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an equivalent agreement for NASA, though.

For specific questions, call the CARS office at 905-640-6444.

Adrian

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>To the best of my knowledge, there
>isn't an equivalent agreement for NASA, though.

Correct, there is not yet. I already inquired.

"At this time, the CARS Board will not recognize or accept NASA
licences for entry into CARS events. Neither CARS nor ASN Canada
FIA have received any correspondence from NASA in regard to
establishing official recognition."

I will forward to appropriate NASA officials.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts